Apple to update iMac lineup with Intel Haswell CPUs in June or July - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's all-in-one iMac desktops will receive a refresh this summer, gaining Intel's latest generation Haswell processors in June or July, according to one analyst.

Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities expects thew iMacs with Haswell processors could arrive as soon as this month. In the third quarter of calendar 2013, he expects total shipments to reach 1.1 million units.

iMac

In all, he has called for iMac shipments for the full year to hit 4.7 million units, which would be up 31 percent year over year from 2012.

iMac shipments peaked in the first quarter of calendar 2013, when Apple was able to address production issues that plagued the desktops at launch, sending out 1.75 million units. In the soon-to-conclude June quarter, he expects iMac shipments will be 650,000, as demand for the new models has cooled off.

The redesigned all-in-one machines first launched in the holiday 2012 quarter, but supply was severely constrained for weeks, until Apple was able to resolve its apparent production issues in early 2013.

Months before the launch of the new iMac, Kuo accurately predicted both the thinner redesign and the severe constraints that Apple would face. He said the production issues were mostly associated with a unique screen lamination process employed by Apple.

With the launch of new iMacs in the June-July timeframe, Kuo expects that major suppliers such as Quanta and Radiant will see their shipments "climb sharply" in the third quarter of calendar 2013.

Monday's note from Kuo offered no suggestion that new Haswell-powered iMacs will be unveiled at today's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. Instead, Apple is expected to introduce new MacBooks alongside its major software offerings: iOS 7 and OS X 10.9.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    Were only shipments up in the first quarter of 2013, or actual sales ;-)
  • Reply 2 of 56
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    I just want a 4K or higher resolution on my next iMac.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    kindredmackindredmac Posts: 153member
    Had a dream last night that they updated the Apple Store to show "Updated Internals" to the Mac Pro after the keynote and they were only 0.1GHz increases ONLY.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    That's a pretty bold prediction.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

15-inch Retina MacBook Pro Upgrade.

Or else I get a Chromebook as my main machine.

...heh... What happened to those things anyway?

• Reply 6 of 56
    What's up with this analyst? It seems as if Ming-Chi Kuo has been making predictions on just about everything in the past month. Since when did he become an Apple Spokesperson?
  • Reply 7 of 56
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

What's up with this analyst? It seems as if Ming-Chi Kuo has been making predictions on just about everything in the past month. Since when did he become an Apple Spokesperson?

It's what happens when you are dealing with a super-secretive company. You have the official spokespeople on stage doing the product intros today, the day they are available. And you have analysts who made guestimates of varying accuracies about future products. As far as Ming-Chi Kuo went, he has been pretty much accurate in the past so I give him some credibility for this call.

On the other hand, I think NOW is the best time to introduce the thinner iMac. New CPU, new form factor. Last year should have been a simple Ivy Bridge update.

• Reply 8 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I guess i ll wait a couple months to buy an iMac.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The store is down already so they must be preparing at least some hardware updates. I could understand if they held back on the iMac update given how recent the new ones came out but you never know. Tim said at D11 that they don't tell people about updates because people stop buying the current models. There are probably Haswell processors out to be able to update all the Macs, except for the Mac Pro. I'd say the laptops are the most likely candidates given that they are at the end of their update cycles.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

I am actually looking forward to 802.11ac in the new iMacs which means that Apple will have to release a new Airport Extreme with 802.11ac support.

GigE everywhere with Bonjour Sleep Proxy / Wake on Demand support; update download support...

Heck they may even include iTV channel stream caching in this new baby...

• Reply 11 of 56
    As far as the 802.11ac - it makes me mad because I just bought a timecapsule 1.5 months ago. :(
  • Reply 12 of 56
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I guess i ll wait a couple months to buy an iMac.

I wish I had, but noooooo...

Had to buy my iMac in April and now come July it's outdated, well processor-wise.  

Oh well, still enjoying it and I'm better off then with my ole "iron horse" 2006 iMac it is replacing! image

/

/

• Reply 13 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Had to buy my iMac in April and now come July it's outdated, well processor-wise.  

Oh well, still enjoying it and I'm better off then with my ole "iron horse" 2006 iMac it is replacing! image

/

/

That's always the case, but glad you appreciate that it is still a great machine. I am looking at new MacBook Pro or iMac for later this year. Depends on which product gets the new Intel chips..image

Btw: Productivity is going to be at all time low during 10am - 12pm PST, since all IT people will be watching the Apple WWDC presentation via Apple siteimage

• Reply 14 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunzilla View Post

As far as the 802.11ac - it makes me mad because I just bought a timecapsule 1.5 months ago. image

If you all your devices are 802.11n then you don't really need 802.11ac just yet.

You can always sell it and upgrade at the right time.

• Reply 15 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I am actually looking forward to 802.11ac in the new iMacs which means that Apple will have to release a new Airport Extreme with 802.11ac support.

GigE everywhere with Bonjour Sleep Proxy / Wake on Demand support; update download support...

Heck they may even include iTV channel stream caching in this new baby...

iCloud smart Caching I think is key...  Google Fiber is getting onpremise equipment, Cable does...  Samsung isn't positioned for it.  Apple is ideally positioned to 'smarten' it's Airport Extremes and Time capsules to cache purchased and rented content.   Then you can start caching downstream... and upstream ('local icloud'). Make Time Machine available via the iCloud.

I bet it would even be NSA approved;-)

• Reply 16 of 56
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Figures. I just bought my mom a 27" for Mother's Day. Oh well. Haswell's biggest boost comes in graphics and power consumption anyway, which means little to a desktop powered by a discrete graphics chip. Real world tests only showed an 8-11% increase over ivy bridge for regular tasks so I don't feel too bad about this. Now had I gotten her MacBook instead, THEN I'd be upset.
  • Reply 17 of 56

The current 27 is awesome, and an awesome gift.

• Reply 18 of 56
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Marvin wrote: »
    The store is down already so they must be preparing at least some hardware updates

Likely something is up but who knows what. And it's possible whatever it is won't actually be talked about at the keynote. They could just be doing an baby bump on the retina MBPs and thus it will just appear. Perhaps the new Mac Pro will get a preview today with talk of Haswell etc. then the rest just appear on the site.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rot'napple wrote: »

Oh well, still enjoying it and I'm better off then with my ole "iron horse" 2006 iMac it is replacing! :D
    /
    /

I'll do you one better. My current iMac is from 2005 and 2-3 months after I bought it, the iSight Macs came out.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

That's always the case, but glad you appreciate that it is still a great machine. I am looking at new MacBook Pro or iMac for later this year. Depends on which product gets the new Intel chips..image

Whichever product gets the new Haswell first will be your decision?  iMac and MBP are two completely different animals. I would think form and function would outweigh which has what chip first.