Apple offers sneak peek at new cylindrical Mac Pro assembled in the USA

Comments

• Reply 21 of 311

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Great cards for specific market segment. Still highly expensive.

The machine is a great machine for a specific market segment and is highly expensive.

Just saying...

• Reply 22 of 311
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

I'm guessing no internal GPU expansion. Thunderbolt handicapped mid range GPU performance let alone high end ones, and Thunderbolt 2 actually has the same aggregate bandwidth, 2x10 and 2x10 up and down vs 1x20 up and down, 40Gb/s each, mind the little B. PCI-E is still way ahead. 

• Reply 23 of 311
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Isn't it Six Thunderbolt 2 ports?

(The Keynote stream had 6 Firewire 2 ports)

Yeah Phil slipped up a bit, he sounded pretty excited to be unveiling this but they're all on good form today.

6x Thunderbolt 2 ports 20Gbps each - I think he said 3 controllers. 4x USB. Dual ethernet.

If this is going to be black anodised aluminium like the iPhone, it's going to look really nice. Good choice with AMD for OpenCL - as Phil said, developers should be using OpenCL.

The Pixar and Foundry demos are a nice touch, I wonder if they'll have OpenCL optimized versions of Renderman and Nuke.
    s.metcalf wrote:
    Looks like internal storage is also a victim here.

It depends how you look at it. PCIe storage was a bit of a surprise but it means people don't make the poor decision of using HDDs as boot drives and it might even help keep the internals cooler. Having 6 TB ports makes up for that big time because people who need it can get a Pegasus or whatever.
  • Reply 24 of 311
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Looks like internal storage is also a victim here.  Not sure if traditional pros that might also use PCI cards will be happy.  At least it has the performance and latest chips!

Huge internal storage is not the future. 

Also, external Thunderbolt RAID storage is more reliable and just as fast. 

• Reply 25 of 311
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Why does it need to be bigger?

No, it's "Why does it have to be smaller?"  It goes under the desk.  It shouldn't have any nods to portability, we have other machines for that.  

Did they put the ports so close to each other that you can't use two adjacent ones?

• Reply 26 of 311
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    When I see the new MacPro in the store I will rub my hands all over that SOB!
  • Reply 27 of 311
    davidadavida Posts: 57member
    Totally closed 'Pro' design? It won't take long for it to be obsolete.
  • Reply 28 of 311
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Looks like internal storage is also a victim here.  Not sure if traditional pros that might also use PCI cards will be happy.  At least it has the performance and latest chips!

Yep.  My favorite part of my last G5 desktop was that it didn't require an external PCI cage for the cards nor keeping external drives at hand for working storage.

This means pretty much as much spaghetti as using a laptop, with the advantage that you can keep it out of site and not feel like you're wasting a display and keyboard.   Oh well.

• Reply 29 of 311
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    And it's going to cost, what, $10,000? I'll take one, maybe?

Love the specs/concept though. Hopefully will be able to afford it when it hits the market.
  • Reply 30 of 311
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    No slots?
    No optical drive?
    No support for RAID (hard drives)?
    More of a Mac maxi rather than a Mac Pro.

Granted, SSDs are amazing fast. But if you need bulk storage (and you want it inside the box), this will be disappointing.

I can understand lack of optical drive on "non-Pro" machines, but for those who produce video having to attach an external drive is just a bit of fugliness that is not needed here. Given that people who typically use Mac Pros tend to work with large data files (and may need to mail them to clients in some form other than electronic), the lack of a built-in optical drive should raise some eyebrows.

No slots? Gee, one thing that has kept Mac Pro units working as long as they have in the past has been the ability to swap in new graphic cards. TB2 may help a little, but it's not quite the same as a 16x PCIe slot. Further, there are other devices people might want to add to a new Mac Pro (or, more likely, pull out of an existing Mac Pro and stick in the new one) that the lack of slots will be problematic.

Cylindrical? Crap! A device that could have been easily rack-mounted would have been much more practical. Even if that wasn't in the cards, cylindrical is going to create space problems on desktops and other rectangular areas where Mac Pros currently set. Someone in Apple's industrial design department should have made this a little more "industrial". Granted, the Mac Pro user is *far* from Apple's demographic (which seems to like "thin is in") but you think they would have done a better job of designing something for the Pro users. Heck, I'd much rather they stuck with the old case. Pro users don't need something that would look good in a museum -- they need something practical. Cylindrical fails that. If this is an example of "can't innovate my ass", I'd prefer less innovation, thank you.

OTOH, the performance does look pretty damn good. Mac Pro users will be forced to upgrade on that point alone.

• Reply 31 of 311
    davidadavida Posts: 57member

Quote:

Also, external Thunderbolt RAID storage is more reliable and just as fast. 

All external storage on Macs is less reliable, because MacOS doesn't support SMART reporting except for motherboard SATA connections and SATA on PCIe cards.

• Reply 32 of 311
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    Apple once again proving they hate professionals.
  • Reply 33 of 311

Quote:

Originally Posted by davida View Post

All external storage on Macs is less reliable, because MacOS doesn't support SMART reporting except for motherboard SATA connections and SATA on PCIe cards.

Are you sure about that on 10.9? I wouldn't make such claims.

In practice, external RAIDs work fantastically.

You're acting like internal storage is reliable. You know how many HDDs I've had to replace over the years? 

• Reply 34 of 311

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

Apple once again proving they hate professionals.

Maybe you're stuck in the past, hmm?

People are never happy.

• Reply 35 of 311
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

The Mac Pro reminds me of a 21st century SGI O2 in a Beer can.

• Reply 36 of 311
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by davida View Post

I don't think RAID and SMART belong in the same sentence. RAID provides the redundancy, so individual drives can be run to failure. SMART is about predicting failure before it happens.

• Reply 37 of 311
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    My Apple is back.
  • Reply 38 of 311
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    darendino wrote: »
    It's a BUTT PLUG !!!!
    I was thinking it looked like something from the Borg. To each their own I guess.
  • Reply 39 of 311
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

I want.

Am soooo looking forward to the actual introduction when we will find out a lot more about this beast.

• Reply 40 of 311
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    If only they scaled it up 3:2 and allowed one to plug-n-play different GPGPU daughter cards. I'd love to purchase a separate daughter card that had non-FirePro GPGPU dual Processors on it to swap in and out for different needs. Or a separate daughter card to add 2 additional GPGPUs and let the OS manage their computing via OS X and activate them for OpenCL/OpenGL on the fly. That would have allowed a new definition of plug-n-play and expansion.

All storage expansion via Thunderbolt 2 for any serious performance is nauseating.

Cost just went through the roof.

It's possible that it could help push less expensive options.

It would have been nice to have an nVidia option, you need nVidia for certain tasks.

davida wrote: »

Is it possible to do SMART over any external device save for maybe eSATA?

Given that Thunderbolt is PCIe, I think it could support SMART because it would be a SATA chip on PCIe.

That said, the number of times SMART saved my bacon on any computer was zero.