Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design

Comments

• Reply 21 of 464
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Ok first, I owe the world an apology.  I said Craig was a horrible presenter.  He's actually very good, humorous and funny.

Having said that, I hope the new look of iOS grows on me.  I'm not crazy about it so far.  There is a lot to like w/ multitasking, etc, but the icon colors and such are kinda gimmicky to me.

Probably not a popular opinion here, but it's mine and I'm entitled to it.  I am not hating on what Jonny has done, he's brilliant, but those icons...just not for me.

I'm not crazy about the color scheme, but the general look it top notch. 

• Reply 22 of 464

I LOVE the new look and (you're gonna hate me for this) they copied Android left and right on features but made it all seem to work well and look Apple-esque.  There's a good chance I'm switching :)

• Reply 23 of 464
    rjc999rjc999 Posts: 69member

Lots of design features lifted straight from competitors, where's the outrage? Control Center has been in Android for years. The App Switcher is basically lifted from WebOS/Ice Cream Sandwich. Omnibox search in Safari finally arrived, but Chrome had it way before. Speaking of Chrome, the tab switcher in mobile Safari looks exactly like the design in Chrome for iOS/Android except it is slightly angled. Sharing state across browsers? Invented by Chrome.

Imagine the outrage if someone had a patent on these features and sued Apple, but yet if someone even uses an icon that looks similar to an Apple design, cries go out of "THEFT!"

Props to Apple for the new Mac Pro, and the new iCloud apps, but the new iOS7 design is clearly "inspired" if not outright copied, from other mobile OSes, Apple needs to drop the obnoxious claims of ripoffs if they're going to engage in hypocrisy and patent trolling.

• Reply 24 of 464
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Yes, yes, the presenter is holding an iPhone 5. Look at the many large screens. It isn't the same look is it? I'd love one of whatever is actually on the big screen… narrow borders all around, etc.

Was (hoping?) wondering if perhaps they were sneaking something wonderful into the background and we'd get one of Jobs' classic "one more thing" moments… ;)

• Reply 25 of 464

I'm reading the posts and I can't believe what people are saying.  You really think this looks great?  You really believe this is a huge improvement?  I'm currently looking at my iPhone 4 and the pictures posted in the story.. I'm just not seeing it.  This looks just as plain and boring as my current phone.  How on earth is this an improvement?  Flat? Square? Plain?  what on earth is so good about this?  I'm seriously at a loss... This must be a big joke!

• Reply 26 of 464
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Getting rid of Forstall and promoting Craig is the best thing they could have done.

Craig's a great guy. Great to work around and always a top-tier talent, plus a fellow fan of Heavy Metal. Always a fun guy to play foosball with and shoot the crap with around the kitchen at NeXT and in the cafe at Apple.

Scott was far more moody and less extroverted/gregarious.

Craig and Scott must have really butted heads for the jabs. That's not something you'd expect from Craig's persona. My own, yes. Not Craig. Scott must have really gotten under his skin over the years.

• Reply 27 of 464
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Craig's constant jabs at Scott reveals how their relationship deteriorated over the years, as each person's position of rank moved up. These guys used to get a long at NeXT and Apple when they weren't executives.

Agreed. He did all but stick his tongue out. But I must say I far prefer the Ives inspired minimalist design that the skeumorphic mess that Forstall was pushing.

As for the new UI: too light for my taste. I like a dark background. The demo was all done with light to white backgrounds. Maybe they demo better or look better on an actual device, but it looked too bright and glaring to me.

- Jasen.

• Reply 28 of 464
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjc999 View Post

Lots of design features lifted straight from competitors, where's the outrage? Control Center has been in Android for years. The App Switcher is basically lifted from WebOS/Ice Cream Sandwich. Omnibox search in Safari finally arrived, but Chrome had it way before. Speaking of Chrome, the tab switcher in mobile Safari looks exactly like the design in Chrome for iOS/Android except it is slightly angled. Sharing state across browsers? Invented by Chrome.

Imagine the outrage if someone had a patent on these features and sued Apple, but yet if someone even uses an icon that looks similar to an Apple design, cries go out of "THEFT!"

Props to Apple for the new Mac Pro, and the new iCloud apps, but the new iOS7 design is clearly "inspired" if not outright copied, from other mobile OSes, Apple needs to drop the obnoxious claims of ripoffs if they're going to engage in hypocrisy and patent trolling.

One of the main designers at Apple designed WebOS.

• Reply 29 of 464
    I'm reading the posts and I can't believe what people are saying. You really think this looks great? You really believe this is a huge improvement? I'm currently looking at my iPhone 4 and the pictures posted in the story.. I'm just not seeing it. This looks just as plain and boring as my current phone. How on earth is this an improvement? Flat? Square? Plain? what on earth is so good about this? I'm seriously at a loss... This must be a big joke!
  • Reply 30 of 464
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I'm not crazy about the color scheme, but the general look it top notch. 

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.  Features-wise, I'm quite impressed.  Just the coloring...ugh, that coloring. 

• Reply 31 of 464
    garbagegarbage Posts: 12member

It's just so random, every screen is different, no consistency at all. This is bad design pure and simple. And those colors! It's like Vista glass and Android had a weird baby with Windows Phone. It's just shockingly bad.

• Reply 32 of 464
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

I noticed they did a biteSMS type notification on Mavericks, but I wonder if it's on iOS.  I guess we'll see when I install it later today.  

• Reply 33 of 464
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngliz View Post

I'm reading the posts and I can't believe what people are saying. You really think this looks great? You really believe this is a huge improvement? I'm currently looking at my iPhone 4 and the pictures posted in the story.. I'm just not seeing it. This looks just as plain and boring as my current phone. How on earth is this an improvement? Flat? Square? Plain? what on earth is so good about this? I'm seriously at a loss... This must be a big joke!

So how would you have designed it?

• Reply 34 of 464
    sdo2000sdo2000 Posts: 29member
    So completely skipping ios7 on ipad... Does this mean there will be a tweeked version for ipads and they didn't want to show anything till the new ones come out?
  • Reply 35 of 464
    bradprobradpro Posts: 7member
    Why pastel colors? As an adult, I was hoping for something more sophisticated and less like a ~$500 coloring book. I'll wait and see how this looks in person.

In the meantime...Kids will love it!
  • Reply 36 of 464

What's with all the new accounts? Nevermind, I forgot. Business as usual.

Waiting for some idiot to talk about multitasking as if iOS just added it - it's been there all along, all Apple had to do was "flip a switch" to activate it.

• Reply 37 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by garbage View Post

It's just so random, every screen is different, no consistency at all. This is bad design pure and simple. And those colors! It's like Vista glass and Android had a weird baby with Windows Phone. It's just shockingly bad.

I disagree. I think much effort has been invested in unifying the look across the core apps, which is more important than what the new look is.

• Reply 38 of 464
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Have to say that the home screen looks cheap, tacky and very childish. Way too much fluorescent and pastel colour going on. Some of the developments are good but I'd prefer something more restrained and sophisticated. Maybe it would look better with a dark background.

If Apple wants an examples of what people want in their UI they should just check out screenshots on Deviantart.

The new weather app looked the best.
  • Reply 39 of 464
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Well, I want it NOW, so I'd say that's a good sign.

:)

• Reply 40 of 464
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Faaaaaaaaaaaark!

Very. Very. Impressive.

It's almost like Apple ran through the list of all our gripes until there was nothing left for us to complain about. That's going to make some people on this site very, very unhappy, not to mention leaving them with a new void to fill in life.

THIS is what a standing ovation while typing looks like!