Apple announces iTunes Radio for iOS 7, Mac, PC & Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple's much-anticipated "iRadio" was announced by the company at WWDC on Monday under the name "iTunes Radio," offering free streaming Internet radio to users across all major platforms.

radio

iTunes Radio will be part of Apple's forthcoming iOS 7 mobile operating system, but it will also be accessible on Macs, Windows PCs, and even the Apple TV set-top box.

"iTunes Radio is an incredible way to listen to personalized radio stations which have been created just for you," said Eddy Cue, Apple?s senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "It?s the music you love most and the music you?re going to love, and you can easily buy it from the iTunes Store with just one click."

iTunes Radio will be free for all users with advertising support. Those who subscribe to iTunes Match for $24.99 per year will be able to listen to iTunes Radio content ad-free.

Demonstrating iTunes Radio at Monday's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, Cue showed how he could play individual songs or search an artist's name. In an onstage presentation, Cue started a radio station based on legendary rockers Led Zeppelin, with the ability to like or dislike individual tracks, while the application also includes quick links to buy songs from the iTunes Store.

iTunes Radio will offer listeners access to thousands of new songs every week, and will also serve up exclusive music from new and popular artists first. iTunes Radio will also be home to special events including live streams direct from the iTunes Festival in London and other exclusive iTunes Sessions.

When it debuts this fall, iTunes Radio will offer a personalized experience based on listening history and past purchases from iTunes. Like with Pandora, users can automatically have a station built around a song or artist they enjoy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

No ads with iTunes Match = Win for me.

Will be using more streaming data in my car, and most everywhere.

• Reply 2 of 44
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Glad to see they're offering an ad-free option as part of iTunes Match...that suits me fine.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Curious how many skips it will allow for us those like me that have iTunes Match and those who don't.

I wanted Apple TV apps- one minor reason was so I could have Pandora without having to Airplay it. This at least fixes that. :)

In summary though- this is Pandora. Period.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    pottsypottsy Posts: 3member
    So far don't like the new design
  • Reply 5 of 44
    There was an old design for iRadio?
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Right this is just Pandora. Being able to stream from apple tv is a great feature though. It is no Spotify replacement though.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by nonstopdesign View Post

There was an old design for iRadio?

Just ignore the new accounts today.

• Reply 8 of 44
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Lame.

not "Radio" 

exactly what I expected. 

• Reply 9 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I don't really listen much to any streaming radio, but it's good to know that I get the ads free version, since I already subscribe to iTunes Match, which is working pretty good. 

• Reply 10 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Well, I am impressed all around however, I suspect Wall Street will be sobbing as there was no new product and the stock will tank. Had there been a new iWatch for example Wall Street would have pointed to the low margin and the stock would also have tanked ... and in the immortal words of Kurt Vonnegut ... 'So it goes ...'

I wonder how much the new Mac Pro will start at ...?
  • Reply 11 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Well, I am impressed all around however, I suspect Wall Street will be sobbing as there was no new product and the stock will tank. Had there been a new iWatch for example Wall Street would have pointed to the low margin and the stock would also have tanked ... and in the immortal words of Kurt Vonnegut ... 'So it goes ...'

I wonder how much the new Mac Pro will start at ...?

If you have to ask you can't afford it. . .;)
  • Reply 12 of 44
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member

Unless I missed it, couldn't see any mention of being able to pick exacts songs to play like on Xbox Music which is a bit disappointing. Nice there getting their own version, just still a bit behind the others.

• Reply 13 of 44
    ehychehych Posts: 4member
    Has anyone else noticed the iPhones in the iTunes Radio section of apple.com? There seems to be some iPhones with coloured bezels.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Just read on Apple's website that the service is only available in the States...so no good for me then, maybe it'll go world-wide later.

• Reply 15 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Just read on Apple's website that the service is only available in the States...so no good for me then, maybe it'll go world-wide later.

I guess that you didn't watch the keynote.

Yes, it's USA only for right now, which is not surprising, and yes, other countries will be added.

• Reply 16 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ehych View Post

Has anyone else noticed the iPhones in the iTunes Radio section of apple.com? There seems to be some iPhones with coloured bezels.

Those are called the iPod touch… Did you miss last October or something?

• Reply 17 of 44
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

In summary though- this is Pandora. Period.

Don't you mean Lala Music?

• Reply 18 of 44
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Most things like that do.

• Reply 19 of 44
    bradprobradpro Posts: 7member
    I think I'll love the new iTunes Radio, too! Will I ever need to buy an album again?
  • Reply 20 of 44
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    If only it included iTunes outside the U.S. (Japan). As it stands now, my wife will love it and I will never use it.