iWork suite coming to iCloud with browser-based document support

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014
The new iWork for iCloud will bring Pages, Numbers and Keynote to the Web, allowing users to quickly access, edit and save their documents from the Internet.

iWork for iCloud was demonstrated by Apple Monday at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. All of the demonstrations were done through a Safari browser running on a Mac.

Users will be able to quickly edit and save documents, and even do advanced tasks like adding images, cropping them, and rotating them. iWork for iCloud will also support Keynote animations for transitioning between slides.

iWork for iCloud will also support Microsoft Windows and Office. The demonstration showed a Keynote document being edited in Windows 8 using Google's Chrome browser.

Support will also be available for Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser. iWork for iCloud is available now for developers as a beta, and a public beta for all users will launch later this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

So much better looking than Google Docs.

• Reply 2 of 45
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    So after 5 years all they can offer is an iCloud update. :-(
  • Reply 3 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Did you watch it?

Whole new interface, I'm guessing the desktop version will follow.

• Reply 4 of 45
    He said the native version will be updated later this year.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    pendergast wrote: »
    Did you watch it?

Whole new interface, I'm guessing the desktop version will follow.
    Nope, on holiday so only read what was on AI. Hope they do pull their fingers out of their butts & give it a real update.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

He said the native version will be updated later this year.

Exactly.  On both OSX and iOS.  It'll be interesting if it will cost anything for those of us with iWork 09 or iWork on iOS.  Maybe iOS is free but OSX isn't?  Time will tell...

• Reply 7 of 45
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

He said in the announcement new versions of the Apps would be coming later this year. He was only demoing the iCloud apps. 

• Reply 8 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

"WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?!"

*Apple releases it*

"THAT'S IT?! THAT'S IT?! THAT'S IT?! THAT'S IT?! THAT'S IT?! THAT'S IT?! THAT'S IT?! THAT'S IT?!"

Never effing changes. image

• Reply 9 of 45
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    "WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?! WHERE'S MY ICLOUD?!"

*Apple releases it*

"THAT'S IT?! THAT'S IT?! THAT'S IT?! THAT'S IT?! THAT'S IT?! THAT'S IT?! THAT'S IT?! THAT'S IT?!"

Never effing changes. :no:

We will always have iCloud iClods.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    And when would I need this since I always have my computer or Ipad with me?
  • Reply 11 of 45

Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

For Windows peasants, really. So they can see what they're missing.

I think it was really embarrassing for Craig to have to open Chrome to use it in the Windows demo. I'm not saying it was embarrassing FOR Craig, just that the situation was embarrassing. They really need a Safari 6 for Windows. Well, 7, I guess, given 10.9's changes…

• Reply 12 of 45
    jpolk84jpolk84 Posts: 2member
    Have zero interest in saving my docs to the Cloud. Aside from the NSA considerations, I like having my stuff where I can edit it offline. Docs in iCloud are useless to me. Not everyone collaborates. In fact, I'd argue most don't.
  • Reply 13 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post

Have zero interest in saving my docs to the Cloud. Aside from the NSA considerations, I like having my stuff where I can edit it offline. Docs in iCloud are useless to me. Not everyone collaborates. In fact, I'd argue most don't.

Some people have multiple computers/devices.

• Reply 14 of 45
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    This feature is the most surprising update to me. I'm hoping it can give MSOffice and GDocs a run for their money.
  • Reply 15 of 45

Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post

Aside from the NSA considerations

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with this in any capacity…

I like having my stuff where I can edit it offline.

So you like to manually carry your files around and copy them to every computer you work on, twice or more a day, every day?

Docs in iCloud are useless to me.

Sure they are¡

Not everyone collaborates.

I didn't see a single effing thing about collaboration. This has nothing whatsoever to do with collaboration. Why would you be dumb enough to share your iCloud information? This is for INDIVIDUALS who want to work on documents ACROSS ALL THEIR MACHINES.

Crying out loud, learn about it before whining about it.

• Reply 16 of 45
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    saarek wrote: »

Took MS longer to update...what exactly? Oh yeah, crap on-top-of crap.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

Great to see something is happening in this space! Looking forward to the release of iWork '14 later this year.

• Reply 18 of 45
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

must remember to call you next time I dont have mine with me, so you can do the changes for me.

you != the entire world

Its all about me, yes, its all about me.

• Reply 19 of 45

*Apple releases it*

Never effing changes. :no:
    iCloud is, at least to me, not a major feature & one that they'd naturally have continued to roll out. iWork 09 is seriously long in the tooth and in serious need of a MAJOR update. Frankly it's a joke that they've allowed it to languish for so long.

But don't worry, of all people on this forum I'd never expect you to support any view of Apple that isn't akin to a sycophant
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Very good announcements today. Everything gets rebooted, more or less, including the trolls. Now they have new stuff to whine about or try to fit into their usual arguments.