Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design

Comments

• Reply 121 of 464
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

I was really concerned about the new "flat" design before the keynote. But man this thing is delightful and is like a breath of fresh air. It is not a flat design as most people thought. You still get a sense of depth. I love it.

• Reply 122 of 464
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Did Ive really get a standing O after that video? Business Insider says so but I don't trust them. image

Yes, correct.

• Reply 123 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

In this thread, we'll hear from a bunch of non-designers who have poor taste and could never design anything themselves and who don't at all properly represent the mainstream public complain endlessly about "poor design". 

Sigh.

No, kidding - people who couldn't design their way out of a wet paper bag. Not to f***ing mention they haven't seen it in person yet ... faaacking fools....

• Reply 124 of 464

Quote:

iOS 7 is in no way "flat".

It is flat in plenty of ways.  It's certainly flatter than it used to be.  The design doesn't have to be completely flat in order to have elements of flat design.  I think you're hung up on some absurd idea that there is only one way to do things within any artistic style.  Contrary to that, there were many painters who used the realist style, the impressionist style, and the expressionist style but you can still easily tell two painters apart if you're familiar with art.

• Reply 125 of 464
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    tbehunin wrote: »
    Agreed. Safari icon sucks.
    Wow we're really reaching when the best we can do is complain about the safari icon. :lol:
  • Reply 126 of 464
    Very exciting time to be an apple product owner - I'm so glad this company is rocking out the features and enhancements! They're going in the right direction. And it's easy to see they're laying a great foundation for future updates. The design language is very smart, and the whole package looks awesome!
  • Reply 127 of 464
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Ok first, I owe the world an apology.  I said Craig was a horrible presenter.  He's actually very good, humorous and funny.

Having said that, I hope the new look of iOS grows on me.  I'm not crazy about it so far.  There is a lot to like w/ multitasking, etc, but the icon colors and such are kinda gimmicky to me.

Probably not a popular opinion here, but it's mine and I'm entitled to it.  I am not hating on what Jonny has done, he's brilliant, but those icons...just not for me.

Craig did a great job today, in my humble opinion. Someone I'd be very happy to meet. :)

• Reply 128 of 464
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

It wasn't full multitasking until iOS 7, unless you think this new multitasking is exactly like it was before.  If that's the case please explain why they made a big deal about it in the presentation and why the attendees cheered.  It's different now.  It sucked before.  Now it doesn't suck.

Duh, that's what I said, and what was said at the presentation.

iOS always had multitasking (which is why you could ALWAYS listen to music whilst doing something else, i.e. multitasking). This was ONLY for native apps.

In iOS 4, Apple allowed select third-party apps to multitask. Full multitasking was, as I said, restricted.

It's still restricted, but now opened up much more to all apps. It's still not a free-for-all though.

The point was that iOS's core always was capable of this, that it was a purposed restriction until hardware (battery) caught up.

• Reply 129 of 464
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    allenbf wrote: »
    Yes, correct.

Ooh can't wait to replay that.
  • Reply 130 of 464
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I think it looks pretty nice. The Safari compass looks a bit plain, and I wonder if there can be a more modern representation of "phone" than the handset of an old Bakelite phone.
  • Reply 131 of 464
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member

Wow, lots of mixed opinions in my head. Some bits looks really nice, other bits looks awful. Sadly a lot of it also looks stolen from Win Phone and Android.

• Reply 132 of 464
    coffeetimecoffeetime Posts: 116member

I watched the keynote on my big-screen (via Apple TV).  love, Love, LOVE the fact that Apple is finally simplifying and basically cleaning up the interface.  Really like 1) Control Center, 2) the fact that a group can have multiple "pages" to hold more than 12 apps, 3) auto-updating apps, and 4) the new left-to-right gesture and all that it will bring.  Just looks like a great update to me.  Anxiously waiting for fall.

• Reply 133 of 464
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

There will likely be features not shown for both the iPhone 5S and new iPads. I for one love the new design and functionality. It is not only beautiful, but looks to add more functionality without adding gimmicks or complexity. Apple has defiantly maintained its OS superiority with this.

I like a lot of it also, but it seems very much a mish-mash to me.  

Most of it is interesting, different, original and quite attractive but here and there there are stunning "uglies" (Safari icon for one), and parts of it look very cluttered and sort of "last minute" design.  

Even the beautiful parts are worrisome however in that it seems very strongly derivative of other operating systems particularly Windows Phone.  I know everyone copies everyone else, but for a company that has built it's reputation on the assertion that all Microsoft can do is copy Apple's original ideas, to take such a large helping of ideas for iOS 7 straight from Redmond is both surprising and a bit two-faced.  Other parts are clearly copies of WebOS or Android.  

It's also full of gimmicky things that you wouldn't expect Apple to do like the 3D background effect and the silly multi-tasking previews.  I would have bet money that they wouldn't "go there" as the feature adds no real utility while using up screen real estate.  

I know I will get pilloried for saying it, but IMO Apple really is (at least partially), losing it's touch it seems.  

I mean the only proof of that you need is the term ... "OS X Mavericks."  

• Reply 134 of 464
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

Earlier this month I mentioned that I wasn't sold on whether or not Ive in charge of the user experience would be positive.  I think that has been answered now, and I think the answer is that it was a good move to make.  In contrast to what the press wanted to make of it, the design is simpler, not flatter.  No square icons, in contrast to the wonks predicting it, and no absolute banning of texture, just a very refined use of it.

Although I don't like some aspects (game center, in particular, is just a new kind of awful IMO), overall I like it and think it is promising.

• Reply 135 of 464
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

It is flat in plenty of ways.  It's certainly flatter than it used to be.  The design doesn't have to be completely flat in order to have elements of flat design.  I think you're hung up on some absurd idea that there is only one way to do things within any artistic style.  Contrary to that, there were many painters who used the realist style, the impressionist style, and the expressionist style but you can still easily tell two painters apart if you're familiar with art.

It is not "flat" (notice the quotes) in the sense that many people were predicting it to be. For instance, I think it's foolish to lump it in with Windows and Gmail's design cues.

Basically, what was removed was gloss and skeuomorphism and was replaced with an emphasis with being "clean". You'll notice the word "flat" was never uttered.

• Reply 136 of 464

Love it, was a little nervous before it started. And seriously there is no windows 8 in this, where is that coming from?

• Reply 137 of 464
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Waiting for some idiot to talk about multitasking as if iOS just added it - it's been there all along, all Apple had to do was "flip a switch" to activate it.

Apple withheld a valuable feature until now, in some rude form of planned obsolescence?

Please.  Give them a little more credit.

• Reply 138 of 464
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ooh can't wait to replay that.

Be sure to check out the camera when Phil Schiller said "Apple can't innovate, my ass."

Camera pans to Woz a few seconds later LMAO.

Epic

• Reply 139 of 464
    zeeloszeelos Posts: 1member

Anyone have a developer account they would pay to let me use? Send me a message. THX

• Reply 140 of 464

Quote:

Did I say I have superb design talents? I have decent talents, not superb.

Jony Ive has superb talents, that's universally recognized. 

But no, you get your armchair critics who create an account just to post trash and say "eww, fail".

Superb? Hardly. It doesn't take a lot of talent to strip all the flair out of everything.