Apple offers sneak peek at new cylindrical Mac Pro assembled in the USA

Comments

• Reply 81 of 311
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You still haven't shown that an external disk array will significantly add to costs. For one we don't know the retail price of this machine though I don't think it will be all that inviting. i do suspect though that the model alluded to in the reveal is likely to be a high performance configuration.

Really?  I'll bet you $50 that it'll add at least $500 for a 4 port TB2 RAID array and that the starting price of the new Mac Pro is not $500 cheaper.

I'll also bet you that they won't have a 1TB SSD anywhere close to $600 retail. 

• Reply 82 of 311
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Looks terrific. Very brilliant idea - the spinning cylinder.

Except for the fact it will be a dust magnet. 

• Reply 83 of 311
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    No word as to when except later this year?
    A rough guess would be September or October. Mainly because of Intels release schedule for new Xeon chips and TB2.
    Price?
    In the variant they revealed very expensive. They likely have $2000 worth of GPUs in the machine seen today so add that cost to the cost of the rest of the system.
    Although if one asks the price I guess one can't afford it. Is it a computer or a work of art? Questions, questions.
    I would imagine that there will be an affordable model with fewer cores and one GPU.

The interesting thing here is no mention of the Mac Mini. That might morph into a more powerful platform to take up the slack so to speak if Apple doesn't bother with a low end model of this new Mac Pro.
  • Reply 84 of 311
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

My first reaction was "Through the front door you get less skeuomorphisms, and out the side door they put these".

• Reply 85 of 311
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Haters gonna hate...  

Don't care, don't care, don't care.

We just want our Okama Gamesphere back...

• Reply 86 of 311

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

It looks like a fun and capable upscale consumer computer. Big upgrade from a mini or an iMac, for sure.

HUGE downgrade from a Mac Pro though. This will further send more audio and video professionals away from the Mac.

I'm not passing a judgment on a not shipping computer just yet (especially since something else might pop out in the meantime) but the pro audio and video boards I frequent are having a field day to this effect.

• Reply 87 of 311
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    tipoo wrote: »
    <span style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:14.857142448425293px;line-height:13.714285850524902px;">I'm guessing no internal GPU expansion. Thunderbolt handicapped mid range GPU performance let alone high end ones, and Thunderbolt 2 actually has the same aggregate bandwidth, 2x10 and 2x10 up and down vs 1x20 up and down, 40Gb/s each, mind the little B. PCI-E is still way ahead. </span>

They indicated that the machine comes with two internal GPUs, so I'm not sure what TB2 has to do with anything. TB has never been designed for the support of external GPUs even if there was a lot of uninformed speculation that External GPU's will be all the rage.

I tend to agree that no internal PCI-Express support is a bad idea but it is Apples job to make the sale.
  • Reply 88 of 311
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member

I am scared tho... don't be scared - ICP

It's just that... this thing man Damn, I hate to say things like this but were talking $10,000 or minimum $5,000, THE LOWEST CONFIG, $4999.99

Seriously,  Look at those parts

The 1 TB SSD PCIE 3.0? $#!+  Thats, like $1,500

Two Video Cards, what's that without looking?  $2,000? or $1,000

Ram there's another $1,000

PROCS  minimum $1,500 a piece x2 = $3,000

That's $7Gs right there, and we're not even talking about Case, Motherboard, or Thunderbolt (pieces)

Dang...  I think I better hit up eBay HAHA (or make some more money)

-- ADDED -- oh and I completely forgot, Made in USA? whoa :P

• Reply 89 of 311
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

How long until Samsung, Dell and others release their own cylindrical computers that will look suspiciously like Apple's?

And then we'll have certain moronic people commenting about how this design was so obvious, and that it was only a matter of time before everybody's computers looks like Apple's. 

• Reply 90 of 311
    I think this is very cool... Maingear Potenza meets Dyson... This may be a genius design... Ed
  • Reply 91 of 311
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

How long until Samsung, Dell and others release their own cylindrical computers that will look suspiciously like Apple's?

And then we'll have certain moronic people commenting about how this design was so obvious, and that it was only a matter of time before everybody's computers looks like Apple's. 

Hah good point.  That's a great reason for Apple to make it Cylindrical, if you copy that, you're a joke, but Apple won't be which is cool...

true on the second point too Dang

• Reply 92 of 311
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    maccherry wrote: »
    When I see the new MacPro in the store I will rub my hands all over that SOB!

Just don't sit on it.
    rhyde wrote: »
    I can understand lack of optical drive on "non-Pro" machines, but for those who produce video having to attach an external drive is just a bit of fugliness that is not needed here.

If you work in video-land you'd know you can't take a master DVD to a production house; they only accept tape. And that has always been a mandatory external solution with the Mac.
    OTOH, the performance does look pretty damn good. Mac Pro users will be forced to upgrade on that point alone.

I use a MP, and certainly don't feel forced to upgrade.
    darendino wrote: »
    It's a BUTT PLUG !!!!

Your comment says more about you than the product.

Or any cylindrical-shaped device he might use.
  • Reply 93 of 311
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Lots of acronyms. Has to be faster than anything out there.

Steve: "It has full support for Kerberos and… whatever that is…"

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I tend to agree that no internal PCI-Express support is a bad idea but it is Apples job to make the sale.

Only four RAM slots bothers me, too. Unless Apple has stupidly large sticks of this new fancy-pants RAM for ludicrously cheap to make up for it.

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They'll be out before the Mac Pro is.

• Reply 94 of 311
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Maybe you're stuck in the past, hmm?

People are never happy.

No, I'm in Hollywood working in theatrical and broadcast design.  Last thing I want is a 1970s ashtray on my desk with a bunch of cables hanging out of it.  Then not being able to upgrade the graphics card?  Apple loves prosumers, hates professionals.

• Reply 95 of 311
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

The new Mac Pro showcased after the event.... Kinda. .. Sorta.. . In a Mr. Blurry Cam way
  • Reply 96 of 311

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The new Mac Pro showcased after the event.... Kinda. .. Sorta.. . In a Mr. Blurry Cam way

Screw that video.

Here it is, in a non blurry video.......

• Reply 97 of 311
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Steve: "It has full support for Kerberos and… whatever that is…"

NTLM. Funny as hell, that was.
  • Reply 98 of 311

Duh, just ignore this entire post.

Nothing to see here, move along.

• Reply 99 of 311
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

It looks like a fun and capable upscale consumer computer. Big upgrade from a mini or an iMac, for sure.

HUGE downgrade from a Mac Pro though. This will further send more audio and video professionals away from the Mac.

Yah, this is a very awesome Mac Mini Pro.  The size is pretty decent for that as well.

There's going to be a lot of pros wondering what the difference between this and an iMac is if they have to buy an external PCIe chassis for any of the cards they are using.  Sure performance will be faster than the iMac but given that the current iMac is faster than the old Mac Pro and the 2013 Haswell iMacs will be faster still that performance gap isn't likely to be 2x.

http://www.barefeats.com/imac12p1.html

With only 4 RAM slots shown in the cut away I don't see it beating the iMac on RAM either.  60 GB/s is better than 30 GB/s for sure but 128GB RAM is also a lot better than 64GB. 

4 ram slots is a big downer. 

• Reply 100 of 311

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Only four RAM slots bothers me, too. Unless Apple has stupidly large sticks of this new fancy-pants RAM for ludicrously cheap to make up for it.

I agree with you on this TS  :  )   Not as future proof with only four slots.    Plus, any upgrade means tossing out the good installed RAM.