Apple announces iTunes Radio for iOS 7, Mac, PC & Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I don't really listen much to any streaming radio, but it's good to know that I get the ads free version, since I already subscribe to iTunes Match, which is working pretty good. 

Is it working pretty good? I'm still holding out because of sync issues I read here. Solipsism made a few posts about it, ending up with a mess, needing to reconfig/sync the whole darn thing...whatever.

I currently have over 50,000 songs in my library, and will need to trash some of that. I also don't know what happens when you hit the 25,000 song limit.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    I guess that you didn't watch the keynote.

Yes, it's USA only for right now, which is not surprising, and yes, other countries will be added.

Music rights are a nightmare outside the U.S. because each country has its own laws to deal with, and there are so many countries. Will take some time to roll out, and it's not Apple's fault.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Is it working pretty good? I'm still holding out because of sync issues I read here. Solipsism made a few posts about it, ending up with a mess, needing to reconfig/sync the whole darn thing...whatever.

I currently have over 50,000 songs in my library, and will need to trash some of that. I also don't know what happens when you hit the 25,000 song limit.

You can have an unlimited number of songs if purchased in iTunes.

• Reply 24 of 44
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

I love iTunes match.  It did really well.  I wish it would update all the Metadata automatically- but outside of that, it's 95% on the money.

• Reply 25 of 44
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member

So when I asked the serious question of "What's the difference between this and Pandora/Spotify?" last week and everyone gave me sarcastic answers. 

I ask again:

"What's the difference between this and Pandora/Spotify?"

Can someone please explain?

• Reply 26 of 44
    Ad-free with Match is great. Now, I just have to wait till they roll it out worldwide.

With all these streaming video and music sites and services, the ISPs seem to be the ones holding us back!
  • Reply 27 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

I haven't had any sync issues, so I'm not sure what that's about.

I complained a while ago about how Apple had removed the option to either stream or download a song, but that was fixed a little while ago, so I'm happy now. I don't have anything close to 25k tracks, so I'm not sure about that.

I've completely erased my entire library from my main drives, and all songs now live on Apple's servers. I can easily download the entire library again, when and if I decide to. The convenience of having my whole music collection accessible on all Mac computers and iOS devices is easily worth 25 bucks a year, IMO. 

I have a 32 GB iPad, but I don't store any music at all on it. Why should I, when I have access to my entire library on Apple's servers?

• Reply 28 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    If you have to ask you can't afford it. . .;)

Damn and there I was thinking I was finished with loans and mortgages!
  • Reply 29 of 44

Its not as  good as Spotify. Pretty much the same as Pandora accept it will stream to your Apple TV.

• Reply 30 of 44
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    pendergast wrote: »
    You can have an unlimited number of songs if purchased in iTunes.

I knew that, but still: thanks. I download a lot of concerts I have attended (or wanted to, but can't fly across the globe like my favorite artists) so my library got large pretty fast. And these recordings aren't available in the iTMS, for obvious reasons.

edit: I see I'm responding to you, Pendergast. May I say I am totally agreeing with your comments here today? Not that I wasn't before, but you really shine in these WWDC threads.
    andysol wrote: »
    I love iTunes match.  It did really well.  I wish it would update all the Metadata automatically- but outside of that, it's 95% on the money.

Not updating all metadata? But it syncs iTunes things like play count and all that, right?
    I haven't had any sync issues, so I'm not sure what that's about.

I complained a while ago about how Apple had removed the option to either stream or download a song, but that was fixed a little while ago, so I'm happy now. I don't have anything close to 25k tracks, so I'm not sure about that.

I've completely erased my entire library from my main drives, and all songs now live on Apple's servers. I can easily download the entire library again, when and if I decide to. The convenience of having my whole music collection accessible on all Mac computers and iOS devices is easily worth 25 bucks a year, IMO. 

I have a 32 GB iPad, but I don't store any music at all on it. Why should I, when I have access to my entire library on Apple's servers?

Good point! Since my library is too large, and I really need to look up what happens after the 25,000th track being uploaded, I haven't gotten the Match subsrciption. After reading so many articles on Apple's datacenter expansion I'd thought they might be upping the 25k limit. Oh well, need to clean out my library anyhow.

I've totally cleaned out my first iPad and filled it with music. Easy to stream to the living stereo through AppleTV and nice for dinner guests to pick songs.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

So when I asked the serious question of "What's the difference between this and Pandora/Spotify?" last week and everyone gave me sarcastic answers. 

I ask again:

"What's the difference between this and Pandora/Spotify?"

Can someone please explain?

In a nutshell Pandora was designed to work like Radio (without the annoying DJ's). You pick an artist or artists you like, and it gives you that type of music. It also does comedy (e.g. Eddie Murphy, etc.). Good for discovering new music based on things you like. There are a free ad supported version as well as a paid no ad version. 

Spotify started off letting people listen to the actual songs they like. Now it has branched out a bit and offers a Spotify like service as well (but you can't stream the music for as long (at least not for free)). There is free and paid versions as well. 

Spotify is also owned by the big labels. It pays the artists less then Spotify and iTunes does. iRadio is more like Pandora in that you can't pick the exact song you want to hear. You can pick something like Prince, and it will start off playing a Prince song. It then will pick similar music based on your input. Essentially it is like radio, but better. 

• Reply 32 of 44
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

Its not as  good as Spotify. Pretty much the same as Pandora accept it will stream to your Apple TV.

There are actually people who prefer Pandora. 

• Reply 33 of 44
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Did anyone else notice that the iRadio page on apple.com shows iPhone 5 looking phones which the metal band in anodized red and blue colors?
  • Reply 34 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Did anyone else notice that the iRadio page on apple.com shows iPhone 5 looking phones which the metal band in anodized red and blue colors?

Those are the iPod touch from last year.  

• Reply 35 of 44
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Those are the iPod touch from last year.  

Ah, now i feel silly. Wish you could get an iPhone in that red.
  • Reply 36 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

There are actually people who prefer Pandora. 

Why? Spotify gives me access to just about every piece of music that exists and lets me download to my devices for offline use. For me as a musician with a wide range of musical tastes its like heaven.

• Reply 37 of 44
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Just ignore the new accounts today.

Practice what you preach.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Practice what you preach.

I ignore most of the old accounts; that counts. image

• Reply 39 of 44
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I guess that you didn't watch the keynote.

Between work and appointments and playing with the kid and enjoying a movie we're been wanting to see and a really nice dinner, somehow I forgot to sit through a couple hours of clap clap while the salesmen trot out their wares... pity. Oh well.

• Reply 40 of 44

Based on what I've seen, it seems we can't download the radio stations for listening offline. That's quite disappointing because I would prefer to download the radio stations first through my Wi-Fi connection while I'm at home, and only listen to those downloaded stations while on-the-go. I don't wanna burn through my data quota on my mobile plan really fast.

Let's hope they do add this download feature in the final version.