Apple reveals overhauled iOS 7 with vibrant, more colorful design

Comments

• Reply 241 of 464
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Already in conversation with a pro user (cinematography) who wanted a bigger tower with more internal expansion. Claiming form over function. His need though, was for about 11 boards.

Why internal?

Thunderbolt 2 provides enough bandwidth for almost anything.

Think outside the box, err cylinder.

• Reply 242 of 464
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodstockAEB View Post

So that's why you've been so easy to provoke.

A more important question is "why are you so intent on provoking people."

You ARE trolling, even if you don't see it yourself.

• Reply 243 of 464
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Is it just me, or the Clock app's icon becomes really-really-really capable of showing us the current local time by the 7th major release of the iOS?

No, that's the icon at all times. Why the frick do people want this?! How… JUST LOOK AT THE CLOCK AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN.

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I really wonder how all this white impacts battery life?!

Not in the slightest, since that's not how displays work.

Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

You have no say…

lol.

• Reply 244 of 464
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member

Just some quick hits.

Didn't tune in for the first part of the presentation but I liked most of what I saw. Some things will take getting used to but most of what I saw looked great, especially the way the icons sit over the home screen. Will need to see what things look like in person on our devices but the overall feeling I get that this is a big net positive and it won't scare people away from the platform but will probably draw them in.

Everybody sees things differently and are entitled to their opinion but I just don't see the "flatness" the naysayers are talking about. I also don't see this looking like Windows 8 at all. What I would say to that is put down the bong, wait for its effects to wear off and look again ;-). Or maybe just take off the Google Glasses and try watching it.

Not a pro user but man that new Pro desktop looks nice. I don't know how it will appeal to the pro user but I would guess it will be popular. Maybe the lack of internal expansion will be a problem for some but it sounds like things can be hooked up with thunderbolt to run just as if there were internal expansion available. Just my non pro opinion.

Nice tweaking on the battery time on the macbook airs. Very nicely done. Nice increase in specs for the price.

Best line that I saw was Schiller's about innovation and his @ss. The crowd appeared to like it as well.

The thing that is not talked about that appears as a shot across the MSFT bow is  iWorks on the cloud. Did MSFT take too long to put its stuff into the mobile world for Apple and now Apple is launching its own invasion?

It looks like it is going to get very interesting in the next couple of months but I think there is a lot to look forward to in the Apple world.

• Reply 245 of 464
    spiralspiral Posts: 16member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So how would you have designed it?

First of all i wouldn't make it all white including the backgrounds of interface elements. There is a lack of definition between UI elements and content. Headers and status bars blend into the content. Look at Messages: the keyboard, content area, and status bars all look like one piece. I have nearly perfect vision and find it overwhelming. I can't imagine someone with older eyes finding it easy to use. Photos is another example: the white washes out the color and division between thumbnails. The amount of lighness is going to cause greater eye fatigue. In general, everything just blurs together in a UI soup. It is actually a relief to see a little grey like in the App Store. That looks nice: strong division from the hero image w/ grey background, from the content on white. I agree with the concept of making the UI sit back and let the content move forward but that needs to happen on a per-case basis, not "make everything white".

There is an inconsistent mix of font and color choices that makes the heirarchy hard to parse. Control Center is a perfect example: there is a mix of light and dark text that is both hard to scan because of the alternating color and hard to interpret importance because of it. Using a light blue and black as primary interface fonts is also extremely hard to read on white. Sharing icons should be more substantial, even if they were filled grey. They seem disabled, or unfinished, or unclickable. They look like they got pasted from a wireframe. The signal stregth feedback should remain as the "stepped bars". This is an industry standard, clearly communicates increase/decrease, and takes up less real esatate in the status bar.

Those are things from the top of my head after watching the keynote.

The UI was one of the lowest priority things that needed changing. It could still happen but i would have loved to see some real changes: changing default app handlers (mail, maps, browser), greater music management freedom when you are not near your "master" machine (or content in general), and make Siri work better than Google Speech recognition (which is awesome).

• Reply 246 of 464
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    People keep talking about the pastel colours. The point is that everyone has their own background and the 'frosted glass' appearance reflects whatever you have as a background.
  • Reply 247 of 464

Quote:

Yeah, you're right. Apple doesn't care about profits at all.

Not imaginary profits from losers like you who claim they won't buy anything Apple again. If I had a dollar for everytime some "fake Apple user" claimed this.

Seriously, do you think you're fooling anyone here? We see idiots like you regularly and the pattern is always the same. Create new account, post something negative from the position of concerned Apple user (hence the term "concern troll") and then complain when people call you on it. In fact, I'd wager your the same loser who appeared here last week as your posting habits and use of language are the same.

What's the matter, little baby, upset you've been found out?

• Reply 248 of 464
    spaceraysspacerays Posts: 116member

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

You just became an iPhone dev this February and you're looking back to the good old days of when you had your first hackintosh?  Please continue inspiring us.

To put the dates on them, I had my 1st hackintosh in 2010, on an HP DV6516TX laptop. Got the iMac in Sep 2011. Self learned iOS from Aug 2012, after graduation. Became an iOS developer in a startup in Feb 2013. It's Jul 2013 now.

Did you really think that ahead, err, far back?

• Reply 249 of 464
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Neither you nor anyone here is the "mainstream public". Internet forums are not good samplings of the public. People posting on forums are almost always more "techie" than John Public, and most gravitate to wherever their biases take them. 

LOL. Good one.

• Reply 250 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

What was stolen? Be specific with images.

1.  Lock screen design and live wallpapers:

Below compare to

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/  and also http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/design/

2.  General appearance of the calendar:

3.  General appearance of the music player:

4.  General appearance of the camera interface:

5.  Control center (Android idea with Windows Phone look)

6.  The animation where apps open outward from their icon

7.  The general look and feel of the multitasking window (kind of a mix of stock Android and HTC Sense 4.0).  This image is from Sense 4:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

8.  The general style of folders, although iOS goes one step ahead with scrolling:

• Reply 251 of 464
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealg View Post

The thing that is not talked about that appears as a shot across the MSFT bow is  iWorks on the cloud. Did MSFT take too long to put its stuff into the mobile world for Apple and now Apple is launching its own invasion?

First of all, there are already 3rd party solutions to give iPad access to "Office in the Cloud."

Second, Apple has been planning cloud-based iWork all along. It doesn't make sense for a company like Apple to offer iWork (or any productivity apps) that's not cloud-based. 

• Reply 252 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure, an iPhone, since it has superseded all other metaphors for what a "phone" is in the modern world.

Of course, the problem there is one of recursion. Apple will have to make the Retina-Within-A-Retina-Within-A-Retina display to show the icon properly, since it will just be iPhones all the way down.

Come off it.

At least you're up to speed, troll.

Nice to know that you just keep trolling. Also, the standard Seel O' Quabity:

Oh, and one more thing… the new UI function swipe from the left edge? SUCK IT, LARGE SCREENS. Apple specifically put this feature in the OS; they won't be making an iPhone you can't use with a single hand. BA HA HA HA HA!

I wonder how long it will be before Samsung's icons become "stale"?

A yellow flower for photo's is, so yesterday.

I wonder if they have started "innovating" new changes.

• Reply 253 of 464

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A yellow flower for photo's is, so yesterday.

If their next phartiphuckphablet has a color wheel for its camera icon, Apple needs to throw lawsuits to the wind and start actively provoking the North to war.

• Reply 254 of 464

Quote:

To be clear, in my opinion the new interface is about as unimpressive to me as the Windows 8 interface. And also in my opinion, the design has been influenced by Windows 8 design. So as far as I'm concerned, it does look like a watered-down Windows Phone.

I'm seriously debating whether I'm going to bother upgrading, which is a first related to my Apple devices, and from what I've read, I'm not the only one who thinks so. Call me a troll all you want, but don't be surprised if Apple's popularity slips.

It looks nothing like it.

Where are the tiles.

Where is the long list of scrollable icons, once you leave the home screen?

Where is the option to change the colour of the tiles and icons and the background from light to dark?

• Reply 255 of 464

give the UI back to micro$haft... pure ugliness. one more reason to not upgrade. sad...

• Reply 256 of 464

Originally Posted by twistedarts View Post

give the UI back to micro$haft... pure ugliness. one more reason to not upgrade. sad...

Come off it.

• Reply 257 of 464
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

So that's why you've been so easy to provoke.

Mods.

I understand that you like to exercise a fair deal of restraint when dealing with certain irritating individuals but when a single poster is responsible for 27 posts in a 247 post thread, they spend most of that time engaging in pointless 'back-and-forths' with multiple posters, not to mention admit provoking users, I think it's time to step in.

EDIT: Thank you. Now somebody open a few windows in here so we can let out all the stink...

• Reply 258 of 464
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    I like the interface, although I admit I did say I thought it looked a bit Googley during the presentation. I think the overall point is that everyone has a photo as their background and the OS tries to enhance this. The change of perspective as the apps float over your photo I expect is one of those things you have to see properly to appreciate. The frosted glass style continues the theme. A lot of my friends' phones are basically pictures of their kids with apps stuck all over their faces. I think Jony is trying to make your photos look better. Overall I like the new design and it's great that the phone I bought last year will get a new look.
  • Reply 259 of 464
    zqqmzqqm Posts: 7member
    Jesus, I think I don't like the new 'design language 'where till now I loved everything Apple did (or mostly). It's completely radical, it's new direction of design which is looks at would be pushed towards simplicity etc but it's too plain. Content in icons looks like blown bubbles too big not proportional with the space. I don't know, I need to play with it to feel it. Also it looks too 'edgy' like Microsoft square blocks. I thought they will 'clean up' the old UI and unifies, but no - they radically transformed. I agree in some cases it looks even too childish, like kids program on TV. Obviously the functionality and usability should be really cool and even more smoother and fun to use but...
    I'm confused ... (which doesn't mean a bad thing after all)

What do you think??
  • Reply 260 of 464

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Mods.

I understand that you like to exercise a fair deal of restraint when dealing with certain irritating individuals but when a single poster is responsible for 27 posts in a 225 post thread, they spend most of that time engaging in pointless 'back-and-forths' with multiple posters, not to mention admit provoking users, I think it's time to step in.

Based on those standards, can we have Tallest Skil banned as well?