iWork suite coming to iCloud with browser-based document support

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 45
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,223moderator
    And when would I need this since I always have my computer or Ipad with me?

    For Windows peasants, really. So they can see what they're missing.

    I think that's really the big thing here. Windows still outnumbers Mac systems by a large margin so now, people have the option to use and make iWork files under Windows, maybe even Android.

    It was sort of obvious people didn't quite realise how big of a deal this is judging by the fact Roger had to keep saying 'this is running in a browser'. This is like that browser-based layout site that AI had an article about a while back, except this looks more polished.

    It's a great demo of how far web technology has come that they can do all of those UI effects and as Tim explained at one point, Apple was key in bringing those to the web. Of course, most people expect these things now and it's not that exciting but it's a fairly big deal. A version of iWeb would be good if it was integrated into this. Although it's not going to be so easy to integrate into 3rd party web software, it could be a great service for personal portfolio sites. You'd just drag your latest portfolio masterpiece into your layout, drag it around, pick your fonts and you're done.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 5,932member


    Weird how the new guy seemed to imply that they were giving Firefox and Opera the cold shoulder.  Safari, Chrome and IE only. Hmm.


     


    Browser stuff was very impressive, but I don't really see how it's a big deal unless they can sort out some kind of online document sharing (maybe they're planning to, but they didn't mention it).  Don't see why a single user with an iCloud account would want to use a browser-based editing environment except in an exceptional case when they can't get to their Apple machine.

  • Reply 23 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

    iCloud is, at least to me, not a major feature…


     


    You're the minority.





    iWork 09 is seriously long in the tooth and in serious need of a MAJOR update. 


     


    Is it, now?






    But don't worry, of all people on this forum I'd never expect you to support any view of Apple that isn't akin to a sycophant



     


    I know that I'm obviously doing something absolutely right, because people keep calling me both a sycophant AND a hater.





    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

    It was sort of obvious people didn't quite realise how big of a deal this is judging by the fact Roger had to keep saying 'this is running in a browser'.




    Yep. Like many things before this, the general public doesn't often grasp the big picture when Apple does something new. 

  • Reply 24 of 45
    I had google docs, but have to use it because of it's awesome collaboration ability.

    They mentioned nothing about collaboration with iWork for iCloud. I hope it was just an oversight. There is little reason for me to need to work on a document over a browser unless I am collaborating with someone with it.
  • Reply 25 of 45

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    You're the minority.


     


    Is it, now?


     


    I know that I'm obviously doing something absolutely right, because people keep calling me both a sycophant AND a hater.




    Yep. Like many things before this, the general public doesn't often grasp the big picture when Apple does something new. 



    Let me remind saarek that iCloud is how your music, email, notes and bookmarks sync which is extremely useful. If you mean by iCloud, documents in the cloud, them I agree that it has its limitations. I still find it useful, but it is no substitute for dropbox. There is a poor file system and too few apps that work in the cloud. I can't even sync a pdf from my computer to my iPad . Too me, that would be a more important feature than eliminating the bookcase, which I found charming.

  • Reply 26 of 45
    virtuavirtua Posts: 207member
    I can see iLife going the same way - and it is a way to get into the clouded room and into pcs to tell them how good mac life is.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    jpolk84 wrote: »
    Have zero interest in saving my docs to the Cloud. Aside from the NSA considerations, I like having my stuff where I can edit it offline. Docs in iCloud are useless to me. Not everyone collaborates. In fact, I'd argue most don't.
    The fact that you have your computer OR iPad with you is a reason in favor of the cloud. It is the most efficient way to work on multiple devices.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post



    And when would I need this since I always have my computer or Ipad with me?


     


     


    It was never said whether you need iWork on these devices to use the Cloud services. If not, there is your answer. 

  • Reply 29 of 45

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TBell View Post


     


     


    It was never said whether you need iWork on these devices to use the Cloud services. If not, there is your answer. 



    But I do have it on my devices. I can work on planes or anywhere even without internet access. I guess if you do not want to buy the software it makes sense. 

  • Reply 30 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member


    They rewrote iWork in Javascript? I can't help but think those development resources would have been better spent bringing it closer to feature parity with Office.

  • Reply 31 of 45
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


    So much better looking than Google Docs.



    It doesn't take much to do that.

  • Reply 32 of 45
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member


    I wonder how they are going to price it. 

  • Reply 33 of 45
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post



    This feature is the most surprising update to me. I'm hoping it can give MSOffice and GDocs a run for their money.


    Heck, wasn't Microsoft supposed to release the iOS version earlier this year?  Did they ever actually come through with their promise (or threat, depending on how you perceive Microsoft)?

  • Reply 34 of 45
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 266member
    Re iCloud, I wish it had the filesharing/filesystem feature set of Dropbox. I've found it to be the killer app that has changed how I and my teams go about doing our work. Were Apple to match it and integrate it into IOS, I'd love my Apple products even more.
  • Reply 35 of 45

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post


     I can't even sync a pdf from my computer to my iPad . 



    Then you don't know what you are talking about.

  • Reply 36 of 45
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    saarek wrote: »
    iCloud is, at least to me, not a major feature & one that they'd naturally have continued to roll out. iWork 09 is seriously long in the tooth and in serious need of a MAJOR update. Frankly it's a joke that they've allowed it to languish for so long.

    But don't worry, of all people on this forum I'd never expect you to support any view of Apple that isn't akin to a sycophant

    You don't get it.

    Besides iCloud (not syncing, but full online creation/editing), the preview showed off a whole new UI, which will make its way to the native apps.

    You're saying stuff without taking the time to watch the keynote.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    . I can't even sync a pdf from my computer to my iPad.

    Then you're syncing it wrong.

    Edit: pipped by Proximitieffect

    @Pendergast: another excellent post!
  • Reply 38 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

    They rewrote iWork in Javascript? I can't help but think those development resources would have been better spent bringing it closer to feature parity with Office.


     


    So you're ignoring that there's an updating coming this fall, then.

  • Reply 39 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    So you're ignoring that there's an updating coming this fall, then.



    Maybe we would have that update already (years ago) if not for this Javascript nonsense.


     


    Watching that part of the keynote was embarrassing, he was doing really basic stuff like changing font sizes (welcome to the 80s) and wanting applause for it just because he did it in Javascript. This is not a programming competition to see who can do the best tricks in Javascript, this is a serious multi-national company, and it's main office suite has fallen behind.


     


    And now we can see why: someone got giddy about the web as a platform and they have been rewriting everything in Javascript. If they had simply gradually improved their native code base over these last few years, we could have had 6-monthly updates to iWork and it would have put constant pressure on Microsoft. They may have been forced to release Office for iOS already. This shows the importance of having a good technical architect: you can have the best, most conscientious programmers in the world, but if the architect is making bad choices about platforms it can all just end up being a colossal waste of time.

  • Reply 40 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

    Maybe we would have that update already (years ago) if not for this Javascript nonsense.


     


    You're stepping further into the realm of implausibility. Shame they still don't require passports.





    Watching that part of the keynote was embarrassing, he was doing really basic stuff like changing font sizes (welcome to the 80s) and wanting applause for it just because he did it in Javascript. This is not a programming competition to see who can do the best tricks in Javascript, this is a serious multi-national company, and it's main office suite has fallen behind.



     


    So Office documents can be created, edited, and managed, 1:1 between Office desktop and some form of Office online?





    If they had simply gradually improved their native code base over these last few years, we could have had 6-monthly updates to iWork…



     


    Citation?






    They may have been forced to release Office for iOS already.



     


    You say that as though people would want it.

Sign In or Register to comment.