New commercial introduces 'Designed by Apple in California' ad initiative

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Following its WWDC keynote on Monday, Apple released a new commercial that is not so much an ad for a single product, but an explanation as to why the Cupertino company exists and is also the first spot to be featured in what appears to be a new advertising initiative.

Ad

"This is it, this is what matters," the narrator says over simple harmonic chords.

Apple continues its new ad style with the latest spot, but instead of focusing on an iPhone or iPad, the commercial looks to imbue the essence of Apple as a company. Possibly overshadowed by the crush of announcements, the ad can be found on the Apple.com homepage under the "see all" tab below the large iOS 7 graphic.

The embedded video leads to a new area of Apple's website, titled "Designed by Apple," which touts the design philosophy behind the company's hardware and software products.

Just as late cofounder Steve Jobs would often note how the latest iPhone "felt," or how the iPad could change a user's life, so does the latest ad, but in a more profound way.

Under the narration, which talks about how Apple's mantra is to make a few great products that touch the lives of users, are scenes of everyday life. There is no sound to these shots, just the disembodied voice and plucked chords. It lends a surreal feel that we, as the audience, are peeking in on intimate and important moments of the characters.

Each scene features an Apple product of some sort, though it is usually pushed off-center, and at times even out of focus. The machines are not what's important, but the feelings they invoke are. We see human faces lit by iPad screens, crowds dancing to music from a MacBook Pro, and couples taking pictures with an iPhone.

Apple's carefully crafted TV spot is somewhat reminiscent of the iconic "Here's to the Crazy Ones" spot, which launched the Think Different campaign and signaled the revival of a struggling company. While not on the same grand poetic level, the new ad plays to emotion rather than consumer want, which according to Apple is the main reason it exists.

"We spend a lot of time on a few great things, until every idea we touch enhances each life it touches," the narrator says. "You may rarely look at it, but you'll always feel it."

"This is our signature, and it means everything."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

This was a beautiful ad.

Designed by Apple in California.

Appreciated by The World.

• Reply 2 of 36
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    "Does it deserve to exist"?

bejeezus, that's the most pretentious comment about any product I have ever heard (implying Apple's do and others might not) or could imagine hearing. One might wonder whether human beings 'deserve' to exist given our track record at extinguishing species. Not saying we do or we don't but at least it's a more relevant use of whether something 'deserves' to exist. It even has faint fascist overtones.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Everything is better designed in California, dammit.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

This was a beautiful ad.

The line "does it deserve to exist" was the most powerful line in the ad in its own right, but you KNOW it was put there as a punch in the face of EVERY one of their worthless, thieving, "competitors".

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

bejeezus, that's the most pretentious comment about any product I have ever heard (implying Apple's do and others might not) or could imagine hearing. One might wonder whether human beings 'deserve' to exist given our track record at extinguishing species. Not saying we do or we don't but at least it's a more relevant use of whether something 'deserves' to exist. It even has faint fascist overtones.

Products ain't people, Clem. Why are you pretending that? Apple isn't. You know exactly what it meant, and they knew exactly what it meant. You're the one who brought up eugenics, and by proxy, Godwin's Law.

• Reply 5 of 36
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
    Disappointed.
    They did not reach out to the grumpy, old, white male (aka the GOP) demographic.
  • Reply 6 of 36

This ad was over thought and made by committee, thus inherently flawed.  After viewing it feels just as much about "race" as it does about Apple products.  I can hear the creative director now... "let's have a group of Asian kids studying hard to get ahead, a young black woman dancing on an inner city bus, let's make the white people fading away in hedonistic pleasure, let's have a young latino woman on her back in bed..."  Let's make sure every ethnic group is represented in the most obvious and cliched way...  

• Reply 7 of 36
    analogjack wrote: »

I think you're reading way too much into the question by applying it to mean non-Apple products or people, and then getting offended by your own misinterpretation. It's a question Apple asks itself when it is debating whether to make something or not--does it deserve to exist? The question communicates how very selective Apple is about what it makes, and that defines the company. At no point does it say competitors products don't deserve to exist.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Also, as with every Coke ad made for years and years, change the language of the voice over and it'll play anywhere and everywhere they sell stuff. World's a big, rather diverse, place.

• Reply 9 of 36
    This ad was over thought and made by committee, thus inherently flawed.  After viewing it feels just as much about "race" as it does about Apple products.  I can hear the creative director now... "let's have a group of Asian kids studying hard to get ahead, a young black woman dancing on an inner city bus, let's make the white people fading away in hedonistic pleasure, let's have a young latino woman on her back in bed..."  Let's make sure every ethnic group is represented in the most obvious and cliched way...  

Yeah, you might want to get out more. People actually look like that, you know.
  • Reply 10 of 36

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

This ad was over thought and made by committee…

Source, please.

After viewing it feels just as much about "race" as it does about Apple products.

Everyone. Everywhere. Uses Apple.

If that was too complex a message for you, maybe electronics aren't your speed.

Let's make sure every ethnic group is represented in the most obvious and cliched way...  

Are you even listening to yourself?

• Reply 11 of 36
    analogjack wrote: »

Simply a STUPID comment. You know exactly what was meant. Besides, you're probably anti Apple anyway - why waste your time (or actually our time) on our APPLE site. Certainly there are Samsung sites you might enjoy? LOL
  • Reply 12 of 36
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Get a life will ya!

• Reply 13 of 36

I work in advertising, but for one of TBWA's competitors.  I'm just making a simple observation based on my viewing of this ad.  A good ad should not bring up thoughts about "race" or that line "does it deserve to exist" that others are commenting on.  The focus of the theme of this ad, had it been produced better, could have been stronger... that's all I'm saying. No need to get all bent out of shape on this silly comments board.

• Reply 14 of 36
    jack macjack mac Posts: 92member
    LOve it
  • Reply 15 of 36
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

I work in advertising, but for one of TBWA's competitors.  I'm just making a simple observation based on my viewing of this ad.  A good ad should not bring up thoughts about "race" or that line "does it deserve to exist" that others are commenting on.  The focus of the theme of this ad, had it been produced better, could have been stronger... that's all I'm saying. No need to get all bent out of shape on this silly comments board.

True, it's not like they make Cheerios.

• Reply 16 of 36

I work in advertising, but for one of TBWA's competitors.

Genuinely, thank you for announcing your bias at the beginning, rather than the end or not at all.

A good ad should not bring up thoughts about "race"…

Any ad can make any idiot say anything. You know that.

…or that line "does it deserve to exist"…

Ah, the difference is you know exactly what that line is talking about. And if you can really call yourself a competitor to Apple's ad agency, you also know how it plays into the entire industry.

• Reply 17 of 36
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Quote:

Do you look for hidden messages or agendas in everything? You must be very unhappy people because if you waste your time analyzing anything long enough you can find negatives, whether imagined or not. If you came up with these comments from just a quick viewing that tells me you have a very cynical view of the world.

• Reply 18 of 36

This literally made me shiver!

Best ad ever.

• Reply 19 of 36
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    That first one with the dots etc is really powerful. I practically welled up in the keynote at that point. it felt like something Jonny Ive would have written.
  • Reply 20 of 36

this print ad (for the Apple campaign) is better than the TV ad:

http://www.apple.com/designed-by-apple/

all it's missing is Don Draper (Jon Hamm) doing his best pitch... "it's Toasted..." in the California Sunshine.  Sterling Cooper and Partners at their best..