Apple's redesigned AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule models debut with 802.11ac support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I assume my 2009 airport express can still act as an extender albeit at N speeds. Might update my 2009 extreme, speeds are ok but not brilliant.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Not a big fan of the design, but AC is pretty nice. Have an AC router already, and it'll be nice to get a new MB Air with AC support.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I've had my Airport Extreme standing on its side for years. The shape doesn't matter to me anyway. I stash the thing behind stuff, out of the way. I'd prefer if it were black though. Still, I want one... but I can't justify it since my current Airport Extreme has been flawless.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Hopefully I won't need a new one of these anytime soon. My current one is actually wall mounted.

Mine isn't wall mounted, but it's in a location, tucked away in a closet, where this monster size router simply won't fit. I'm sure Apple has some good reasons (ie, the antenna performance, etc) for making it this big, but I think the size is going to turn off at least some prospective buyers. (Of course, I'll have to see one in person because the photos online could be deceiving.)

In any case, until my current Extreme dies I see no reason to upgrade.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm ok with the new form factor.   It now has 6 antenna (3 each for 2.4 and 5Ghz) so positioning them higher may really help.   

Is the Time Capsule still using 3.5" drives.  I was figuring they may choose 2.5" drives for size reasons. 

I'll upgrade my current TC when I get the next iPhone coming up.  I think 11AC is probably a bigger deal for mobile devices than it is for 

desktop devices at this point considering mobile devices typically only have a single antenna

3.5" drives aren't going to fit. It has the same width and depth as an Apple TV.

• Reply 26 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

3.5" drives aren't going to fit. It has the same width and depth as an Apple TV.

If that were the case then the 2 TB and 3TB Time Capsules are using a magical new 2.5" drive that nobody's ever seen. Or Apple is using RAID, because I don't believe there are any 2.5" drives with those capacities.

• Reply 27 of 54
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Upped the price by 20%+ in the UK. image

• Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

If that were the case then the 2 TB and 3TB Time Capsules are using a magical new 2.5" drive that nobody's ever seen. Or Apple is using RAID, because I don't believe there are any 2.5" drives with those capacities.

Edit: It would appear that the only way a 3.5" drive would fit is on a diagonal, standing on end. And at those capacities/prices, it has to be a 3.5" drive. *IF* the drive standing on end is a major reason why the unit stands that tall...all for the sake of making it the same footprint as the AppleTV and Airport Express, then I'd say that's a poor design choice (in my opinion).
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Considering no one has torn into one- no idea.  But 99.9% chance you won't be able to.  And why would you?  Just add an external hard drive to the Extreme via USB 3.

USB 2

http://www.apple.com/airport-time-capsule/specs/
  • Reply 30 of 54
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Mine isn't wall mounted, but it's in a location, tucked away in a closet, where this monster size router simply won't fit. I'm sure Apple has some good reasons (ie, the antenna performance, etc) for making it this big, but I think the size is going to turn off at least some prospective buyers. (Of course, I'll have to see one in person because the photos online could be deceiving.)In any case, until my current Extreme dies I see no reason to upgrade.

'Monster"?  

It's 6.6" tall... about the same height than current AE width, with a current AppleTV footprint.

So volume wise, it's what, 20% larger than the the current AE.  hardly monster... just different dimensions for the same innards.

• Reply 31 of 54
    Weird design? Not stackable? Was the original UFO Airport before you were born?
  • Reply 32 of 54

Expect the new design was chosen for a reason. Yes, it currently looks odd, & who was expecting the design change? I'd say it only looks odd because it's such a sudden change.

I think it looks much better than the current Netgear AC routers, also a vertical only design like the Belkin routers have been for a few years, so maybe it's that the AC standard & older standards, sans external aerials, benefits even more by being vertical & not horizontal.

Was considering an Extreme or Time Machine before, & the new design will fit into the area even better for me, + the benefit of AC, so i'm happy. image

• Reply 33 of 54
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    USB 2.0? Really? Oh well, I look at it like this: $200 for the Extreme + $100 for a good built in 2TB NAS that links with my current 1TB that's USB 2.0 anyway for "on the go" just in case. I'm good with it, shouldn't need much more for a few years at least.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    2oh1 wrote: »
    I stash the thing behind stuff, out of the way. I'd prefer if it were black though.

Huh?
  • Reply 35 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

All AC routers are currently more expensive, as it's a new standard. Netgear & Belkin prices are approx double that of their older N models. Prices should fall as it gets to become established.

• Reply 36 of 54
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Simply brilliant solution. Dig it.

• Reply 37 of 54
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Considering no one has torn into one- no idea.  But 99.9% chance you won't be able to.  And why would you?  Just add an external hard drive to the Extreme via USB 3.

I wasn't expecting anyone to have an answer just yet - but something that I would look for in the inevitable teardowns. I'm guessing it will be like the non-Fusion iMacs, where the circuit board has a space for the connector, but no connector was installed. Perhaps the TC version would also include additional support frame for the drive. No end-user retrofit? Oh, well!

I am quite happy with my current AE, so I'm not in the market for a replacement, either. However, the current AE does not support using a USB-connected hard drive as a Time Machine target. From my little bit of research, it seems like it sort-of works, but that corruption is likely. Apple says no. :(

• Reply 38 of 54
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    mbmcavoy wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting anyone to have an answer just yet - but something that I would look for in the inevitable teardowns. I'm guessing it will be like the non-Fusion iMacs, where the circuit board has a space for the connector, but no connector was installed. Perhaps the TC version would also include additional support frame for the drive. No end-user retrofit? Oh, well!I am quite happy with my current AE, so I'm not in the market for a replacement, either. However, the current AE does not support using a USB-connected hard drive as a Time Machine target. From my little bit of research, it seems like it sort-of works, but that corruption is likely. Apple says no. :(
    How are you backing up currently? Ever since I got the time capsule I've been extremely happy. Range, seamless backups, all wireless- it's nice.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

If I'm not mistaken, the time capsule models dropped $100 US each.

• Reply 40 of 54
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    conrail wrote: »

If I'm not mistaken, the time capsule models dropped $100 US each.
    No- TC are the same price as before. Dropped $100 the time before last (because they dropped the 1 TB version). AE was $179 and is now $199.