Apple's iOS 7 to give iPhone users easy access to WiFi controls, common actions

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014

It took more than five years, but Apple said Monday that iOS 7 will finally provide iPhone owners with access to toggle WiFi on and off, adjust screen brightness, and execute other common tasks without having to tediously drill-down into their device's settings panel.

Those seemingly trivial, but long-absent, capabilities form the basis of Control Center, a new feature in iOS 7 due for release later this fall. It promises to give iOS users quick access to the controls and apps they use most, letting them swipe up from the bottom of their device at any time -- even from the Lock screen.

With existing versions of iOS, something as simple and common as shutting off WiFi typically requires around 4 clicks -- first unlocking the phone, finding the Settings application, and then navigating to the WiFi controls. But iOS 7 promises to cut this number in half.

From the same panel, iPhone (iPad, and iPod touch) users will also be able to toggle Airplane mode settings, Bluetooth, and Do Not Disturb. Additionally, it will offer one click access to lock an iOS device's?screen orientation or adjust its brightness.

Music playback controls, access to AirPlay-enabled devices, screen brightness controls, and screen orientation lock are among some of the other controls Apple says will come built into Control Center. The base of the panel also links to the Camera, Timer, and Calculator in addition to the first official Apple Flashlight -- apps the company says users frequently need the most.

Based on the beta of iOS 7.0 shown off on Monday, Apple also appears to building a new feature into Control Center called AirDrop. Originally making its debut a couple of years ago in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, the WiFi service lets nearby Apple devices automatically discover one another and share files remotely without the need of a WiFi network, network configuration, or USB storage devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I really liked the refreshed look until I saw the new settings screen..... Not nice at all.

Still, I wonder if it reflects the background, if so it could be seriously cool.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    "With existing versions of iOS, something as simple and common as shutting off WiFi typically requires around 4 clicks"

Except that shutting off WiFi isn't common since shutting off WiFi is unnecessary on an operating system that isn't an absolute piece of carp.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

"With existing versions of iOS, something as simple and common as shutting off WiFi typically requires around 4 clicks"

Except that shutting off WiFi isn't common since shutting off WiFi is unnecessary on an operating system that isn't an absolute piece of carp.

Because wasting battery life for a radio you have no need of for long periods of time is not "crap"? 

• Reply 4 of 55
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Good news. :)

• Reply 5 of 55
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Because wasting battery life for a radio you have no need of for long periods of time is not "crap"? 

The point is that a smart OS doesn't require you to turn off wifi when not using it in order to save power.  If you aren't logged into wifi then it turns itself off.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

• Reply 6 of 55

Hopefully this will shut up the fandroids about a feature that I never really missed

• Reply 7 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

…shutting off WiFi is unnecessary on an operating system that isn't an absolute piece of carp.

Still gets me… 

• Reply 8 of 55
    jpdlvmhjpdlvmh Posts: 72member

The one thing I am desperately waiting for is a uniform look of the calendars on MAC, iPHONE and iPAD.

PLEASE let the buttons be in the same place, be it left, right or wherever - as long as I can click in the same place on every device.

Also, ONE double-click for creating a new calendar entry should be enough to open the editing window - it should not be necessary to double-click again.

• Reply 9 of 55
    unotherunother Posts: 40member
    Gee, I shut off WiFi on my 4s all the time. Is that a sign its a piece of crap?
  • Reply 10 of 55
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    And you got a nice purple pastel girly look to go with it. Wonderful
  • Reply 11 of 55
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Turning off WiFi...[S]"Back[/S] by dope demand."

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 12 of 55
    skftwskftw Posts: 2member

Let's see Samesung top that!

• Reply 13 of 55
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I really liked the refreshed look until I saw the new settings screen..... Not nice at all.

Still, I wonder if it reflects the background, if so it could be seriously cool.

This is not the new settings screen. It is the new control center that lets you get to certain features quickly. You swipe up to access this panel. There still is a settings panel like before. I like the look of the control panel and yes it is  translucent to allow the background picture to show through. So it should take on the color of your background picture. 

• Reply 14 of 55
    I shut off WiFi when it is worse than LTE, which is not infrequent...
  • Reply 15 of 55
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

The point is that a smart OS doesn't require you to turn off wifi when not using it in order to save power.  If you aren't logged into wifi then it turns itself off.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Different folks different strokes. IOS already manages power extremely well, however, some people want the phone to always look for wi-fi access points. Wi-fi is also used to better position the phone on a map. These in the background functions use battery power. The control center feature shuts wi-fi off entirely so the phone is not searching for wi-fi. Some people like to have more control over the phone. If you don't like it, don't use it. 

• Reply 16 of 55

One word: impressive!

American ingenuity at its best!

• Reply 17 of 55
    mcdarkmcdark Posts: 28member

That's one less reason to jailbreak I guess.  No need for SB Settings anymore.

• Reply 18 of 55
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

It's very useful when you are in the fringe areas of wifi coverage.  It's better to switch off wifi and go into LTE mode.  Very useful when I'm sitting on the porch of my house or in the parking lot at work.

• Reply 19 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDark View Post

That's one less reason to jailbreak I guess.  No need for SB Settings anymore.

Yeah, SB Settings was one of my main reasons for jailbreaking. Great feature.

• Reply 20 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

How about turning it on?