Apple's iOS 7 to give iPhone users easy access to WiFi controls, common actions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55

Many times a wifi network is extremely slow... say at a friend's house or when at a public hotspot. In these situations, LTE is much faster so it is better to just turn off the wifi and use LTE. The only time I actually use wifi is when i need to use Airplay. 

Note: I have unlimited data so my preference is LTE.

• Reply 22 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

The point is that a smart OS doesn't require you to turn off wifi when not using it in order to save power.  If you aren't logged into wifi then it turns itself off.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Many times a wifi network is extremely slow... say at a friend's house or when at a public hotspot. In these situations, LTE is much faster so it is better to just turn off the wifi and use LTE. The only time I actually use wifi is when i need to use Airplay. 

• Reply 23 of 55
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

The point is that a smart OS doesn't require you to turn off wifi when not using it in order to save power.  If you aren't logged into wifi then it turns itself off.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Then it never knows when you've once more come in range of the next WiFi base station (as it's no longer actively operating on that radio) and so that "feature" is rather useless. Actually more than useless, irritatingly cumbersome and counterproductive. I expect many people like myself, go from one known WiFi zone to another (home, to work, to various stores, Bryant Park NYC, to AMTRAK, and back to work again, then home): having the WiFi stay "on" to automatically detect and connect with those known stations is a terrific convenience. Having to wake up an automatically turned off WiFi radio because some overly "helpful" OS turned it off for me? Oh no that flavor of Gatesian Overlordship I do not want.

"smart" OS? No thanks. I decide when my WiFi goes off (which, truth be told, is rarely, mostly as above when AMTRAK slows to a crawl and I switch to my unlimited LTE). Just like the Bluetooth I never turn on.

• Reply 24 of 55
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    saarek wrote: »
    I really liked the refreshed look until I saw the new settings screen..... Not nice at all.

Still, I wonder if it reflects the background, if so it could be seriously cool.

It's translucent, akin to frosted glass, so it's color will be based on your wallpaper and icons.
  • Reply 25 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Hopefully this will shut up the fandroids about a feature that I never really missed

It will never shut them up because problem for them is not iOS but the ability to afford the Apple ecosystem and they think Apple fans are full of egos which they cannot stand.

Keep it Simple- You know where there is Success there are tons of Whiners.  Ask them you will get them Car, phone, laptop and tablet for free- They will select BMW, iPhone, iPad 128 GB and Mac pro. They will forget about Nokia, Samdung, or Ford!

• Reply 26 of 55
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

I'd do the same if I had an unlimited plan. Or LTE for that matter. Stupid telco over here forgot to buy the right spectrum license!
  • Reply 27 of 55
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

I love the new OS and the new features are going to make my 4S feel like an entirely new phone!

I'm excited for the 5S later this year.

• Reply 28 of 55
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I have Facebook blocked at my office- but my employees get around it by turning wifi off. So while I don't like that its easier in [B]that[/B] scenario, you can see how it could be a benefit to everyone else.
  • Reply 29 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

And you got a nice purple pastel girly look to go with it. Wonderful

Look again closely. It's a smoked glass effect. The icons below are what are causing the effect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unother View Post

Gee, I shut off WiFi on my 4s all the time. Is that a sign its a piece of crap?

I don't see why. WiFi goes into sleep mode when you're not connected to a hotspot. Meanwhile the Android powered Sony Ericsson that I have for work both the previous one and the one I have now actually requires me to turn off Bluetooth and WiFi when I'm not using them because I can almost literally watch my battery drain away. I don't need to do this on my personal iPhone 4.

• Reply 30 of 55
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Because wasting battery life for a radio you have no need of for long periods of time is not "crap"? 

In my testing, the advantage of turning off the WiFi is almost completely "crap" based on the effort needed to do it. I have found the WiFi radio to sip tiny tiny amounts of power when you are not actually connected to a WiFi. What kills you is an active data channel.

• Reply 31 of 55
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Different folks different strokes. IOS already manages power extremely well, however, some people want the phone to always look for wi-fi access points. Wi-fi is also used to better position the phone on a map. These in the background functions use battery power. The control center feature shuts wi-fi off entirely so the phone is not searching for wi-fi. Some people like to have more control over the phone. If you don't like it, don't use it. 

What is iterating, however, is turning off WiFi for location based applications will actually consumer MORE power by turning off part of the "A" in A-GPS. You will save a bit of WiFi power at the expense of greater GPS power. In real life usage, I have found iOS manages WiFi radio power consumption better than I can and turning ON/OFF WiFi from a power stand-point is mostly (but not completely) fools gold.

• Reply 32 of 55
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

"With existing versions of iOS, something as simple and common as shutting off WiFi typically requires around 4 clicks"

Except that shutting off WiFi isn't common since shutting off WiFi is unnecessary on an operating system that isn't an absolute piece of carp.

Unless I want to check my data consumption, which involves using an app that requires shutting off WiFi.

There are other situations in which I shut it off, too, that have nothing to do with power management. Sometimes I prefer to use my data connection to get around various port blockers.

• Reply 33 of 55
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I shut off wifi when the network is slow or down.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

I love this new feature. I would love it even more if it would let ME decide which features are the ones I most commonly access, but this is an improvement and I'll take it!

• Reply 35 of 55
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

What is iterating, however, is turning off WiFi for location based applications will actually consumer MORE power by turning off part of the "A" in A-GPS. You will save a bit of WiFi power at the expense of greater GPS power. 

The GPS can access the Assistance server just as easily over the cell connection. 

Edit: Is that what you're talking about?  Because that's the A in A-GPS on the iPhone.

Or were you talking about WiFi locating, which is a different method altogether?

Quote:

In real life usage, I have found iOS manages WiFi radio power consumption better than I can and turning ON/OFF WiFi from a power stand-point is mostly (but not completely) fools gold.

Nevertheless, there are plenty of times (see the thread) where people wish to manually (and easily) manage their WiFi.

• Reply 36 of 55
    saarek wrote: »
    I really liked the refreshed look until I saw the new settings screen..... Not nice at all.

Still, I wonder if it reflects the background, if so it could be seriously cool.

I hear you, buy I think the frosted glass effect and basic settings icons are clever....:)
  • Reply 37 of 55
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    "With existing versions of iOS, something as simple and common as shutting off WiFi typically requires around 4 clicks"

Except that shutting off WiFi isn't common since shutting off WiFi is unnecessary on an operating system that isn't an absolute piece of carp.

I have a 5GB limit at home and my phone data is unlimited. I need this to toggle access to airplay or my Sonos system vs. Updating apps. or streaming media.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    blackbook wrote: »
    I love the new OS and the new features are going to make my 4S feel like an entirely new phone!

I'm excited for the 5S later this year.

Me too! :)
  • Reply 39 of 55
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    I turn off WiFi every morning as I leave the house to walk the dog, because otherwise TuneIn Radio plays the NPR, "This audio stream is brought to you courtesy of xxx" message when I first start listening and it's on my WiFi, then again when I get out of range of WiFi and LTE takes over. Very annoying!

What I like more than that though, as a regular flyer, is the easy access to airplane mode.

I'm sure there's going to be lots of things in iOS7 that I'll like, but it's the airplane mode access that has got me looking forwards to it most.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Damn I wish I could use this on my iPhone right now.