Apple seeds first iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks betas to developers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just hours after being announced, beta versions of Apple's iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks is now available to developers, giving coders their first at look the new operating systems ahead of a public launch expected for fall.

iOS 7

As for Apple's mobile OS, the first build of iOS 7, dubbed 11A4372q, was released for testing on Monday for the iPhone 5, 4S and 4, as well as the latest iPod touch.

Apple's new iOS has been overhauled, with a new design aesthetic that adds more depth through transparencies and textured designs. App icons have been flattened, and new features were added, including a few borrowed ideas from popular third-party apps. Also included in the new mobile OS is an enhanced Siri virtual assistant and a new Control Center that puts frequently accessed settings on a single pane.

On the desktop, Apple announced OS X Mavericks, which the company said is the start of the next ten years of Mac. Among the over 200 new features, Mavericks will sport a tabbed interface in Finder, file tagging and enhanced multi-display support. These come along with system and performance boosts, as well as power saving measures built into the OS.

Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering Craig Federighi showing off some of Mavericks' new features.

Also released today was a developer preview of Xcode 5, the upcoming version of Apple's app-building tool chest, with new features like automatic configuration, automatic layout, debug gauges, and more.

Developers can download the respective software via Apple's Developer Portal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Hmmm... the link to the iOS 7 beta is grayed out for me.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Can't wait for the screendumps to be posted!
  • Reply 3 of 27

Just installed iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and restoring from backup :)

• Reply 4 of 27

Mavericks, is downloaded at home... can't wait to go home and install it on the macbook pro :)

• Reply 5 of 27
    How are you downloading them already??
  • Reply 6 of 27
  • Reply 7 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrittanyOdom View Post

Hi BrittanyOdom,

I'm an apple app developer, and pay apple for both the iOS and Mac developer programs, so yea there's always a price to pay.

• Reply 8 of 27

All downloaded here, let the playing begin!

• Reply 9 of 27
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Just installed iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and restoring from backup :)

I have "a friend" that has 3hrs and 54 mins left. "He" says it's crawling.
  • Reply 10 of 27

Double post to pad that post count, eh? Good plan!
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Hey Sol!? How'd you like the anti-theft solution Apple came up with? I wonder if I can put it into that mode even if someone has turned it off.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member

I have it on my phone and have been using it for an hour or so.  It's amazing, I already can't imagine going back to iOS 6.

Here are some quick impressions:

New lock screen is good.  I like the fresh look.  You can swipe anywhere left to right anywhere on the screen, not just on the bottom in a little track area.

Swipe up for settings is great.  Having the flashlight, alarm, DND, bluetooth right there is great.

Notification Center.  It's an improvement from the old one, but I'm still not inclined to use it, something still doesn't seem right to me.  I like the translucency.

New Keyboard, very nice looking.  Much better than the old gray and black one.  This one is translucent white with some variations depending on what you're doing.

Apps zoom from the icon to full screen, when you close them it zooms back out to the icon, it adds a nice touch.

There's an overall ability to swipe left to right instead of using the back button, I find it very useful and I'm using it all the time now.

Safari tabs, looks good.

Home screen.  I was in the dislike camp when I saw it during the keynote, it looked too cartoonish.  I'm more used to it now and it looks fine.

Photos = AWESOME.  This is probably one of the biggest things I love about the new iOS.  I have a lot of photos and the moments feature is so awesome, I can't even imagine how I got by without it.  

New camera is ok, a nice UI refresh.

Mail looks nice, though I dare say is looks too similar to the mail app on Android with the white everywhere, big text, and blue accents.  I would like to reduce the font size but I haven't tried looking for the setting yet.

Calendar, I'm having a hard time adjusting and figuring out what Apple is thinking here.  Not sure I like it.

Siri, I like the new UI.  I tried a few new things like turning on/off DND and Bluetooth and it works perfectly.

iTunes Radio, works good.  Basically the same as Pandora with an Apple interface.  It goes great with the swipe up control panel.

• Reply 13 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member

Looking at the way many of the apps have so much white space I think it's 

inevitable that we are going to see a 4+ inch display next year. 

Much of what iOS 7 looks like does resemble Android at least in this text regard and 

one of the reasons why Android does it because it makes it easier to translate apps to 

different sized displays. 

Looking forward to fall and getting updates to iOS and OS X and hopefully Aperture and iLife as well. 

• Reply 14 of 27
    kylemkkylemk Posts: 2member
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Disappointed that IOS7 dose not support Iphone 4 or 4s.
  • Reply 16 of 27

sorry iPhone 4 will be supported.

• Reply 17 of 27

honest, this UI looks like a Chinese version of XiaoMi Android UI, how disappointing.

• Reply 18 of 27
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

I see on the screenshot OpenGL 4. That has to be good news.

Actually the under-the-hood changes to OSX all seem really terrific. It looks like they are finally bringing memory leaks under control and really making use of the CPU.

All good things.

• Reply 19 of 27
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Hey Sol!? How'd you like the anti-theft solution Apple came up with? I wonder if I can put it into that mode even if someone has turned it off.

Looks like this feature is server side. It looks like even if the iPhone/iPad was erased before you log in to iCloud, the device will show the message since your Apple ID will tied to IMEI/serial number of the device. So Apple will be able to track it down and lock it even if it was erased. That's how I think it will work.

Imagine if you bought an iPhone from ebay or someone online and the seller locked it and asked for a ransom to release it. That would be so damn funny. I hope Apple creates a website where you can check if the IMEI is blacklisted so buyers can check before they buy.

• Reply 20 of 27
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

I have read in the known issues that Hotspot tethering is not working in this release. Can someone confirm if a wireless hotspot is working? I wanted to install this beta on my iPad mini for testing my apps but Apple hasn't released the iPad iOS 7 beta yet. So disappointing.