Apple's iOS 7 to give iPhone users easy access to WiFi controls, common actions

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    "With existing versions of iOS, something as simple and common as shutting off WiFi typically requires around 4 clicks"

Except that shutting off WiFi isn't common since shutting off WiFi is unnecessary on an operating system that isn't an absolute piece of carp.
    BS. I shut off my wifi every day at work and then turn it back on when I leave work. Quick access to this setting wil be very welcome.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

And you got a nice purple pastel girly look to go with it. Wonderful

Not if you put a manly picture behind it, coloured however you want.

• Reply 43 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Someone please pm me a screenshot of the Settings app. My new iMac is away for a week getting fixed, so I can't try out iOS beta 1. PLEASE?
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Will airdrop work between Mac and IOS also?
  • Reply 45 of 55
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    unother wrote: »
    Gee, I shut off WiFi on my 4s all the time. Is that a sign its a piece of crap?

I think the word is actually "carp."
    But no, shutting off wi-fi is neither crappy nor carpy.
    (Is that a word?)
  • Reply 46 of 55
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quick settings are a nice feature that I did enjoy for awhile, but now most of my quick settings are automated.  For example, when I load up navigation software (or any app that needs GPS) my GPS will automatically turn itself on and then when I exit the app my setting will return to whatever state it was in before launching the app.  My WiFi turns on and off based on which cell tower I'm connected to so as not to use GPS but still have WiFi on when I'm home and off when I'm not.

I still use quick settings to toggle the flashlight, but that's about it.

However, the people who think they will use them are in for a treat.  I found them very handy when I did use them.

• Reply 47 of 55
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

BS. I shut off my wifi every day at work and then turn it back on when I leave work. Quick access to this setting wil be very welcome.

It's a good start.

For people like you, Apple could go further and add the ability to do things like:

• Turn WiFi on/off per your current location.

• Use NFC tags with programmable behavior

My son-in-law has an NFC tag on his car sun visor that he uses to easily turn off WiFi on his Galaxy when he gets in it to drive somewhere.   He also has geo-fencing to turn it back on when he gets to work and can access his office WiFi.

• Reply 48 of 55
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    kdarling wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">BS. I shut off my wifi every day at work and then turn it back on when I leave work. Quick access to this setting wil be very welcome.</span>

It's a good start.

For people like you, Apple could go further and add the ability to do things like:

My son-in-law has an NFC tag on his car sun visor that he uses to easily turn off WiFi on his Galaxy when he gets in it to drive somewhere.   He also has geo-fencing to turn it back on when he gets to work and can access his office WiFi.

While that sounds like a nice solution, I'm just not getting the need for this. I leave my WiFi on, always have, and haven't noticed a battery drain. Because that is the only thing I can think of why people would do this. Except perhaps those fortunate enough to have a faster LTE Internet connection than on a WiFi one.

Granted, I've never used BlueTooth, so that's off, and supposedly a battery drain (as well?).

All this easily turning off WiFi doesn't get me turned on. iOS some, OSX more and yes, I'm excited about the new Mac Pro.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kdarling wrote: »
    It's a good start.

Is it worth leaving GPS on in order to turn off wifi via geofencing?
  • Reply 50 of 55
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Is it worth leaving GPS on in order to turn off wifi via geofencing?

I know you're not asking me, but I personally wouldn't leave on GPS in order to automate WiFi toggling because GPS can really suck a battery down.  However, I have my phone setup to turn WiFi off an on based on which cell tower I'm connected to.  It's slightly less accurate as it uses a bigger area then the precision that GPS would provide, but it's much more battery friendly.

• Reply 51 of 55
    I would prefer that Apple give me the choice as to what to put on my lock screen. Maybe what I commonly do is different than what they think I "should"
  • Reply 52 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

I would prefer that Apple give me the choice as to what to put on my lock screen. Maybe what I commonly do is different than what they think I "should"

The other things you'd "do commonly" are already easy to reach.

• Reply 53 of 55
    mierd2mierd2 Posts: 4member

Selling UDID activations for $5! Email your UDID to me at [email protected]

GET IOS 7 BETA 1 NOW!
    FAST ACTIVATION LESS THAN 15 MINUTES!
    PayPal is accepted only!

• Reply 54 of 55
    Wouldn't mind something basic as telling me what the SSID is next to the WiFi symbol on the top bar.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

In my testing, the advantage of turning off the WiFi is almost completely "crap" based on the effort needed to do it. I have found the WiFi radio to sip tiny tiny amounts of power when you are not actually connected to a WiFi. What kills you is an active data channel.

What effort? You flip up the control panel from the bottom of the screen and tap an icon.

Not exactly hard labor.