Maps, iBooks, iCloud Keychain coming to OS X Mavericks

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
With Mavericks, Apple's next major version of OS X, users will be able to access the company's Maps and iBooks platforms, as well as new cloud-synced passwords and logins.

With support for Maps, users will be able to search for directions on their Mac, and easily send that route to their iPhone for use in their vehicle. The new Maps application for OS X offers the same features as its iOS counterpart, including the 3D Flyover functionality.

Mavericks will also mark the debut of Apple's iBooks e-book platform on the Mac, including the iBookstore for purchasing new content. To date, iBooks has only been available for iOS devices.

Users can highlight and add notes to iBooks titles in the sidebar. The software also includes a nighttime reading mode that is easier on the eyes in low-light environments.

And iCloud Keychain will also provide cross-platform support for securely syncing and saving passwords and login information, including addresses and credit card data.

An updated Calendar has continuous scrolling and gives an easier way of creating events, with suggested nearby locations and projected weather.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13

iBooks on Macs??? Hooray!!! :) I soooo much prefer reading in iBooks as opposed to Kindle. This is a nice surprise.

• Reply 2 of 13
    I have been hoping for Maps to be on Macs since it came out.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Looks like the Finder sidebar still lacks color, which is a big disappointment to me after the new iTunes brought back the color. Hopefully this will change before the final release.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jabohn wrote: »
    Looks like the Finder sidebar still lacks color, which is a big disappointment to me after the new iTunes brought back the color. Hopefully this will change before the final release.

Noticed that too. And usually iTunes is used for new refinements like these, so it might just carry over across the board; Aperture, OSX.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With support for Maps, users will be able to search for directions on their Mac, and easily send that route to their iPhone for use in their vehicle. The new Maps application for OS X offers the same features as its iOS counterpart, including the 3D Flyover functionality.

Good.

Quote:

Mavericks will also mark the debut of Apple's iBooks e-book platform on the Mac, including the iBookstore for purchasing new content. 

Good.

Quote:

And iCloud Keychain will also provide cross-platform support for securely syncing and saving passwords and login information, including addresses and credit card data.

Yes I know, nothing would stop law enforcement guys if they feel you're their man.

Still, did we invent passwords just to give them out to anyone and their brother at Apple's data centers?

Siri already scans the entire family trees of iPhone owners up to their ancestors from the Renaissance era, is it not enough? 

• Reply 6 of 13

The iCloud keychain looks great to me - and will cause a number of password utility companies consternation (I currently use DataVault.)

• Reply 7 of 13
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Looks good to me, nice to see the maps integration.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

• Reply 9 of 13
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

The iCloud keychain looks great to me - and will cause a number of password utility companies consternation (I currently use DataVault.)

I was in the process of deploying Dashlane.  That got stopped cold in its tracks as soon as I saw the iCK announcement.

• Reply 10 of 13
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

and open gl 4, finally

• Reply 11 of 13
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    What type of cat is a Mavricks?
    ;-)
  • Reply 12 of 13
    tink wrote: »
    What type of cat is a Mavricks?
    ;-)

Tomcat... F-14. :)
  • Reply 13 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I will pay for the upgrade for the iBooks app alone, I have been waiting for that for so long.

Also looking forward to seeing how smooth Apple Maps is on a full-fledged computer vs an iPad. Computerized maps in general I find impressive so a fullscreen Retina maps apps backed by Intel/Nvidia chips and a fast wired Ethernet connection should be great fun to play with.