New G5 info (yes, a new one- it's hot!)

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

show me a 5.1 USB solution

optical is standard on everything. all dvd players have optical. coaxal is not standard

all surround receivers on the market today have at least optical.

minidisc has optical

and countless other audio interfaces.

Apple needs to include a SPDIF port. Everyone else does. the cost is not insanely more if a little more and it fits in with their strategy.

Apple sucks with audio. Nearly all PCs have better audio capabilities straight out of the box simply because they ship with a crappy soundblaster.</strong><hr></blockquote>

1. 5.1 USB Solution = Yamaha Cavit

Firewire solutions exist as well.

2. I am in music production, I'm well aware that optical is standard on stereo equipment. When you referred to it before, you were referring to it being standard on home computer systems. It is very useful on home systems, but I've only used an optical input to my computer during pro recording, and if that's your game then the hardware you purchase is going to have an optical in anyway that is integrated with your interface of choice - Apple need not provide one.

3. You just said that coax is standard on nothing and then you want a SPDIF port? SPDIF is normally coax, it's only 2-channel, and once again would be included in the hardware anyone who uses it would purchase anyway.

4. Apple does not suck with audio. If you knew anything about it, you'd know that the OS hooks and latency are more important issues than whatever your computer *ships* with, because if you want to do any real audio production you're going to need to buy some hardware no matter what your computer ships with. It's how your computer *can* take advantage of hardware that matters.

I'm not saying I would complain if Apple included something in the PowerMac, but I think it would be completely useless to me. If I'm going to work with such high-end interfaces, I'm going to have something more advanced that includes it anyway.

-S
  • Reply 102 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by BungHole:

<strong>Whatever guys, what is this like something that you just have a special love for on your mac, old fashioned audio? Optical is going to be on every stereo and PC. Soundblaster doesn't make the Audigy for mac, yes there are other alternatives to optical for 5.1 but that is going to be the defacto standard. USB sound is not a favorite for anyone that I know, but maybe you know people who like it. So just to end this, spiffy your right, USB rules and it is the 5.1 answer on macs. Why spend the extra money on something new, lets just use USB and let the PC companies go optical..... because for $3500 god knows we cant get great sound and 1GHZ.!!! LOL I just want 5.1 digital on my mac, it sounds so sweeeeet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

USB vs. Optical has less to do with it than the speakers/method of decoding you choose.

S
  • Reply 103 of 116
    Oh thanks Spiffy!!!!! Please continue. Let me know in six months when your done babbling to yourself. Just post it here and I will check back on my new mac with optical sound port. LOL
  • Reply 104 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by BungHole:

<strong>Oh thanks Spiffy!!!!! Please continue. Let me know in six months when your done babbling to yourself. Just post it here and I will check back on my new mac with optical sound port. LOL</strong><hr></blockquote>

What, you're angry now because I happen to do audio stuff all day and feel like contributing to the discussion? If you're not interested then don't bother checking at all. Just don't get on my case because I have something I want to share - we're all free to post as we please.

S
  • Reply 105 of 116
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Guys! If anything the optical port will be for Firewire... not sound.
  • Reply 106 of 116
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    From what I hear, FireWire2 over optical cable is very very nice.

I had heard - and related on these boards - that the audio layer in OS X is complete, but according to workingmac.com's NAMM report, <a href="http://www.workingmac.com/article/137.wm"; target="_blank">it's not there yet</a>.

One tidbit: Apple is implementing Yamaha's mLAN architecture into the OS, and the audio software developers are waiting on that. Once that's done, the optical port will be used for FireWire and audio. Whee!
  • Reply 107 of 116
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    I can't believe it... MOSR posted the hotline chat as-is and completely unsubstantiated. That really shoots down my already low opinion of their page.

I wish I could figure out how to make money starting rumours, I know I could come up with much more believable ones than seem to be carrying the day on the rumour sites. Apple's security is clearly air tight these days and the sites are all desperate for anything.
  • Reply 108 of 116
    take a look at some of the misspellings... hmm... could it be intentional to cover up BS??

Alot of it sounds believable... then again so was the iWalk... lol...
  • Reply 109 of 116
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by vvedge:

<strong>take a look at some of the misspellings... hmm... could it be intentional to cover up BS??

Alot of it sounds believable... then again so was the iWalk... lol...</strong><hr></blockquote>

What misspellings? From the chat conversation you mean? Come on, it's chat for crying out loud.
  • Reply 110 of 116
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong>I can't believe it... MOSR posted the hotline chat as-is and completely unsubstantiated. That really shoots down my already low opinion of their page.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

As least they say they doubt some of the details....

[quote]<strong>

I wish I could figure out how to make money starting rumours, I know I could come up with much more believable ones than seem to be carrying the day on the rumour sites. Apple's security is clearly air tight these days and the sites are all desperate for anything.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Here's how:

Start a few rumor sites of your own. Of course, don't tell anyone that there'll all your own. At each one, predict something reasonable. By chance, one will hit what happenes almost exaclty. Post frequent updates, and you will get tons of visitors, as many people will think you have insider info. You may want to try a MOSR-style "reader sponsors" thing. Keep it believable, and, of course, optimistic. You will keep getting hits (hits=ad showings=$$$) until the next major product release.
  • Reply 111 of 116
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong>I wish I could figure out how to make money starting rumours, I know I could come up with much more believable ones than seem to be carrying the day on the rumour sites.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The answer is obvious: Start your own rumor site. :cool:
  • Reply 112 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by glurx:

<strong>

The answer is obvious: Start your own rumor site. :cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

Heh, I should obviously amend my statement: I want to make money without doing any work.
  • Reply 113 of 116
    Firewire2 is based on the same connector as firewire1, with the addition of an optical receptor in the core. Sony has done something similar with their portable minidisc recorders, where a minijack connector accepts analog line in and optical fibre. Optical and electrical cables would go into the same firewire plug and not into a toslink (optical) connector.
  • Reply 114 of 116
    Sounds interesting! Where did you learn that from?