All Macs capable of running OS X Mountain Lion likely compatible with OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
According to the release notes accompanying Monday's OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview, the OS is compatible with all Macs able to run the current version of Apple's desktop operating system, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Mavericks

When Apple announced OS X 10.9 at Monday's WWDC keynote, the company failed to get into the specifics of the software, such as which Macs would be able to run the next-generation OS. If the Developer Preview is any indication, most Mac owners able to install Mountain Lion will also have machines capable of running Mavericks.

People familiar with the Mavericks Developer Preview have informed AppleInsider that the OS supports the following Macs:
  • iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
  • MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
  • Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
In addition, the system requirements call for 64-bit, Intel-based Macs currently running Mac OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard or higher, with 8GB of free disk space for installation.

The computers and requirements listed above are nearly identical to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion's requirements as stated by Apple in a support document. In fact, Mountain Lion stipulates that the base operating system on the install machine must be OS X 10.6.8 or later, a higher standard than Mavericks.

Usually with a new operating system version, some Macs are left behind as their hardware simply can't keep up with the demands of advanced software. For example, all Macs powered by at least Intel Core 2 Duo processors were able to run OS X 10.7 Lion, but when Apple launched OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, some iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro configurations with Core 2 Duo CPUs were no longer supported. It seems that with OS X 10.9 Mavericks, however, all Mountain Lion-capable computers will be able to take advantage of the upgrade cycle.

While promising, the nature of beta software precludes any guarantee that the final consumer version of Mavericks will carry the same system requirements as its Developer Preview, including what computers will be able to run the OS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    quantzquantz Posts: 94member
    What I don't understand, from my developer's preview, is why Apple did not implement gorgeous IOS7 GUI to OS Mavericks. Puzzling and disappointing %u2013 so far.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member

Quote:

What I don't understand, from my developer's preview, is why Apple did not implement gorgeous IOS7 GUI to OS Mavericks. Puzzling and disappointing %u2013 so far.

Well, it's only in beta, and these things take time.  I expect to see a great deal of the new design language by the final release.  Don't feel disappointed.  Your expectations are probably just unrealistic.

• Reply 3 of 34
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantz View Post

Do you really want that UI on Mac?

• Reply 4 of 34
    boriscletoboriscleto Posts: 159member

Quote:

Nein, nein, nein... No phone GUIs on the desktop.

• Reply 5 of 34
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

"All Macs capable of running OS X Mountain Lion likely compatible with OS X 10.9 Mavericks"

Thank f**k for that ... it seems Apple will obsolete anything over 3 years old these days.

• Reply 6 of 34
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    murman wrote: »
    "All Macs capable of running OS X Mountain Lion likely compatible with OS X 10.9 Mavericks"
    Thank f**k for that ... it seems Apple will obsolete anything over 3 years old these days.

Hmm 2009 is four years ago and it's not like earlier Macs will stop working.

Still my G5 is not supported. Apple is screwing its customers by not supporting all macs ever created. /s
  • Reply 7 of 34
    quantzquantz Posts: 94member

Quote:

Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Well, it's only in beta, and these things take time.  I expect to see a great deal of the new design language by the final release.  Don't feel disappointed.  Your expectations are probably just unrealistic.

Probably. But UI-wise, previews for Lion and ML were close to the final deal…

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Do you really want that UI on Mac?

Of course. It's gorgeous and full of functional ideas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

Ja, ja, ja… It's so much sleeker. ;-)

• Reply 8 of 34
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Quote:

It's gorgeous and full of functional ideas.

I can't wait to activate a flashlight on my desktop.  /s

• Reply 9 of 34
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

In your defense- it is a little strange.  Currently- App Store, Safari, Calendar, Notes, FaceTime, Reminders, Game Center, Setting/System Pref. (Almost all other Apple "secondary" apps like Keynote, Numbers, Pages, iMovie, Airport, etc.) on OS X are all basically identical to their iOS counterparts.

On the other hand- Mail, iTunes, Calculator, and Messages are completely different.  Contacts is kind of in-between.

It is nice to have some continuity between icons- like they've had previously.

• Reply 10 of 34
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

It was well known that Apple pulled engineers off of Mavericks to work on iOS 7.

Quote:

• Reply 11 of 34
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    murman wrote: »
    On Macs, they go back as far as the mid 2007 iMac. On phones, they go back to the 4 (meaning they dropped a four year old model for upgrades). Still not sure why you believe devices that aren't eligible for the latest software are obsolete. Apple has, by far, the best record at continuing to support older items in their software upgrades.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Hmm 2009 is four years ago and it's not like earlier Macs will stop working.

Still my G5 is not supported. Apple is screwing its customers by not supporting all macs ever created. /s

And Core Duo macs and Core 2 Duo macs with graphics chips with only 32 bit drivers. 

• Reply 13 of 34
    bluenixbluenix Posts: 42member

That would be awesome.

I just installed Mountain Lion completely new on my Late 2007 iMac. I've always done updates and installed / deleted a lot of software over all those years. So it was about time.

But this machine is running now like it did on the very first day. Which desktop PC (Windows) from 2007 runs Win8 smoothly and fast??? The only upgrad I did was from 2gb to 4gb memory.

I was getting ready to buy a new iMac (still a wonderful price-quality-deal in my eyes), but if 10.9 runs as smoothly on this "old iMac" as 10.8 does, there's really no reason.

• Reply 14 of 34
    I am absolutely loving Mavericks...

You cannot believe [B][I]Apple Maps app on a 27" iMac --[COLOR=blue] it is a game-changer[/COLOR]![/I][/B]
  • Reply 15 of 34
    [Quote]In addition, the system requirements call for 64-bit, Intel-based Macs currently running Mac OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard or higher, with 8GB of free disk space for installation. [/quote]

This is incorrect and confusing. My 2006 MacBook has a Core2Duo which is the first of Intels 64bit Core processors. It however has a 48bit memory contriller and dies not have multitouch or anything else that Mountain Lion brings to the table. It can run Snow Leopard but not Mountain Lion so this requirement for 64bit and Snow Leopard is incorrect.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

This is a relief, my early 2008 Mac is still going strong.

I too was surprised that more iOS UI styling would not make it's way to Mavericks, but I guess maybe they'll iron out the kinks in iOS and then gradually bring the "cleaner" design to OSX 10.(10?).

• Reply 17 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by murman View Post

Never mind five year old computers getting Mountain Lion, five year old computers getting lion, five year old… image

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It was well known that Apple pulled engineers off of Mavericks to work on iOS 7.

… By whom? Source?

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I too was surprised that more iOS UI styling would not make it's way to Mavericks, but I guess maybe they'll iron out the kinks in iOS and then gradually bring the "cleaner" design to OSX 10.(10?).

That's exactly it. 

• Reply 18 of 34
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

But it's worked out SO well for Windows 8!

Oh. Wait.

To be clear: Given Mavericks isn't a touchscreen system an inteface designed for touchscreens would be a trainwreck. Just ask Mr. Softy.

• Reply 19 of 34

Quote:

Are you kidding? Such an ugly iOS7 GUI to desktop? NO WAY!!! I am even not sure will I buy a new iPhone on September because of "new an beautiful" GUI. I won't upgrade my current iPhone 4S to that rubbish GUI, it doesn't matter if iOS7 offers some few new features.

• Reply 20 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

On Macs, they go back as far as the mid 2007 iMac. On phones, they go back to the 4 (meaning they dropped a four year old model for upgrades). Still not sure why you believe devices that aren't eligible for the latest software are obsolete. Apple has, by far, the best record at continuing to support older items in their software upgrades.

Exactly, I have a six year-old iMac (it took some extra ram) that runs on Mt. Lion, now its a little laggy, but perfectly acceptable until I can upgrade the hardware later this year.  Not bad for such and old machine which will likely run Mavericks for a short time before its well deserved death and replacement.