Apple's redesigned AirPort Extreme with 802.11ac support gets first unboxing

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

I currently have an Airport Extreme. The new "footprint" may be smaller but its height is a real problem.  Cable management will be terrible if every port is used, in my case they would be. All the cables climbing up the back and and hanging out will look awful compared to the current design where they are low and close to the desk/shelf.

Only have 3 gigabit ports is also a bummer. Most products over $100 have 4, some more.

The new design may help with the antenna(s) but all they are really doing is trying make up for the fact that the antennas are not external and removable. For most people, the ability to swap out the standard omnidirectional antenna for a directional antenna would do far more to help with their wireless signal than this design.

That being said, Apple has a built-in audience for anything they make. Most of their fans ignore the weaknesses of their products and pretend the often questionable benefits and design choices are some giant innovation. If Apple does something differently than every other company, their assumption is that this difference has to be great. I am sure they will sell a lot of these.

-kpluck

I hear what you're saying, but the good news is that every other router on the market is still available.  Apple doesn't need to make the best router for every one.  They are aiming for the person that wants to keep it simple.  Personally, my internet provider includes a wireless router, so I just use that.  It kinda sucks and falls over because of all the wires hanging out of it, but oh well.

• Reply 42 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Not sure why it would be any lighter than the old unit (possible though doubt it). It does have internal power supply like the last one. And that's obviously at the foot of the unit. That's a pretty substantial weight.

it's heavier by .52 lbs.  and uses .2A more power.

and it's about 40 cubic inches 'bigger'

but practically no taller than the old unit was wide

new:(http://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/specs/)

• Dimensions: 3.85 inches (98 mm) by 3.85 inches (98 mm) by 6.6 inches (168 mm)

• Weight: 2.08 pounds (945 grams)1

old (http://support.apple.com/kb/sp20)

• Length: 6.5 inches (165 mm)

• Width: 6.5 inches (165 mm)

• Height: 1.3 inches (34 mm)

• Weight: 1.66 pounds (753 grams)

As for ports... same old same old.   Given the number of people who get a 4 port cable modem 'for free'  (where I hang my DMZ devices), I don't see the need, given the 'average' Apple 'centric' consumer needing more than 3 ports (Apple TV,Xbox/PS3, Laptop/Desktop).  

Any house that has a data 'server'  separate from the primary desktop (or TimeCapsule) in the house is 3 std deviations from the mean in terms of  a consumer.

Apple's 'networking model' is the fastest wireless possible, hence pushing draft std 'n' and now 'ac' devices into their products. hence this.

As for Airport Expresses... my guess is that these will come when Apple TV upgrades to 'ac' mode (that being the smallest config that would see performance improvements: a new MBA & AppleTV with Airplay) and my guess that will come in the fall with the new 'ac' enabled phones and pads.

• Reply 43 of 55
    superdxsuperdx Posts: 67member
    I just plugged mine in, it's sturdy even with all the cables connected. There's a bit of heft to it but it's much smaller than you would expect. If there was an analogy I could give, it's unlikely that my 18lb. cat would knock it over unless he actually pushed it.

Very happy with the purchase, wifi speeds compared to my old Extreme (11g) is night and day.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    juiljuil Posts: 75member

To compensate with all the first poster’s negative reaction to this product, I just want to mention that I like the design and looks of it :¬)

I wonder if you can celling-mount it...

And for those nearly losing sleep because of fear that connected cables might tip this over by their sheer weight (added to pounds of dust)... Do you really think Apple would have overlooked that. SERIOUSLY!!

• Reply 45 of 55
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdx View Post

Very happy with the purchase, wifi speeds compared to my old Extreme (11g) is night and day.

Even old 802.11n knocks the socks off g.

Edit: wow, appleinsider inserted an ad in my posting. (hyperlink on the word "socks" to bizrate.com). that's rude.

Edit 2: ad wasn't inserted by appleinsider. it was done by "Viglink". How did that happen? It even disabled DoNotTrackMe.

• Reply 46 of 55
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

Looks like it will be a dust magnet and fall over. Hope I am wrong. I am sad that the iMac i bought in November 2012 is not 802.11ac-capable or is there a remote chance it actually is with a firmware upgrade?  

it needs a new chip, firmware won't help.  If it were that easy.  Yeah, I bought an iMac in Dec and I wish I was able to wait, but my other iMac was just basically about dead since it was an old Core Duo and it was getting a little flaky after all of these years.

• Reply 47 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    drblank wrote: »
    it needs a new chip, firmware won't help.  If it were that easy.  Yeah, I bought an iMac in Dec and I wish I was able to wait, but my other iMac was just basically about dead since it was an old Core Duo and it was getting a little flaky after all of these years.

I think wdowell was referencing the time when Macs were shipped with chips that didn't have drivers for the latest speed. A few months later, Apple sold updates to enable the new speed.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Simple one-way test transferring a pre-cached 6 GB dmg over 802.11n (2.4 GHz) from wired Mac Pro to MBP15retina located ~30 feet away on another floor:

400 MB per minute with last generation Extreme.

530 MB per minute with latest Extreme.

That's 33% improvement.

• Reply 49 of 55

I like it...I know there are limitations...but I would like Apple to have an all in one cable modem/TC in one form factor. It would instantly eliminate an ugly Motorola cable modem and it's attending cables and power brick. Ugh.

Right now I hide my said motorola cable modem in a closet...had to re-route the co-axel cable and power source and route the ethernet cable to my Apple Extreme. A lot of work, but I only want Apple gear on my shelves or desk showing in my home. :)

I even have the wireless MFC printer in the same closet! 

P.S. I like the new form factor. It looks like it will run cooler and offer better range. Just don't like all the cables!

• Reply 50 of 55
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    Don't care for the look, but is it perhaps a design that hides antennae that would otherwise be external? My only guess as to why they'd do this. That and heat dissipation which was also an issue.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Wouldn't a picture of it next to previous models make more sense for comparison than next to an iPhone?
  • Reply 52 of 55
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

Wonder when we will see 802.11ad support -- which could be a big deal for short distance file transfers...

See:

http://www.techspot.com/news/51343-7gbps-wireless-on-the-way-wigig-80211ad-adopted-by-ieee.html

• Reply 53 of 55
    No matter how many features are packed into the Airport Extreme, the design does not seem very practical. It is definitely going to be one giant dust magnet.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    No matter how many features are packed into the Airport Extreme, the design does not seem very practical. It is definitely going to be one giant dust magnet.

Well, tiny dust magnet. What with the horizontal surface being a lot smaller than the old model.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    I purchased one of these. Stability is excellent. I have all ethernet cables plus power cable plugged in & it's rock solid. Design is much better than previous no heat issues as with previous models due to cooling fan located on bottom. It does take up a little more air space but I much prefer that to desk space. This is simply a 7 inch tall Apple TV as far as the size is concerned. Height is needed for extra antennas.