iOS 7 beta: Hotspot 2.0 support will lead to hassle-free Wi-Fi access

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While not mentioned during Apple's WWDC keynote, iOS 7 will support Hotspot 2.0, a relatively new Wi-Fi technology that allows compatible devices to seamlessly connect to compatible hotspots without user interaction.

Hotspot 2.0

The new feature is based on the Wi-Fi Alliance's Passpoint project, which looks to automate connections to certified hotspots quickly and securely. This means iOS device users will one day no longer have to search for, select, and manually connect to certain access points.

Passpoint technology is aimed in part at cellular carriers, which offer Wi-Fi hotspots throughout a coverage area as a way to offload data burden. By using a cellular device's SIM card, or other unique identifier, Hotspot 2.0 devices are able to access these Wi-Fi networks without having to constantly input credentials.

In order for the tech to work, both ends must support the protocol, meaning smartphone OEMs, manufacturers of Wi-Fi gateways, and service providers have to be a part the program. So far, the technology is not widespread, at least not to the point where it would be impactful to an iPhone user.

However, as Ars Technica noted on Tuesday, trials are currently underway with participation from 30 operators. Consumer deployments are scheduled for release later this year, possibly in time for the expected rollout of Apple's next-generation iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    It would be nice just to have the iOS 7 but noooo.... We have wait for apple to release there new phone first what a bunch BS
  • Reply 2 of 36
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Never mind all that.

I'm running the iOS 7 beta now.

I can't friggin stand it. The design seems all over the place. iOS seems to have lost its *well contrasted*, punchy beauty. It looks drab and lifeless.

Maybe it'll grow on me. But my first impression..... Ive should have been kept way from software.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    ... so I was in this cafe the other day and this onion head jerk comes in and starts listening to foreign soccer with the volume turned up!
  • Reply 4 of 36
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Never mind all that.

I can't friggin stand it. The design seems all over the place. iOS seems to have lost its *well contrasted*, punchy beauty. It looks drab and lifeless.

Maybe it'll grow on me. But my first impression..... Ive should have been kept way from software.

I don't like it either. I hope it'll grow on me. It's like Apple listened to tech presses too much. I'm all for a new look but I don't understand why everything must be flat. Can't icon be 3D? Can't notification be 3D? OSX icons are 3D and nobody accused it of being skeumo...

I hope OSX won't go this route.

• Reply 5 of 36
    It just looks stupid and thoughtless. The folders, the 2D blobs that they are, look *completely* out of place. The zoom effect on the folders is slow and totally unnecessary, compared to the nifty downward-slide we had before. It all looks like a disjointed Franken-OS. The design doesn't flow.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    mierd2mierd2 Posts: 4member

Selling UDID activations for $5! Email your UDID to me at [email protected]

GET IOS 7 BETA 1 NOW!
    FAST ACTIVATION LESS THAN 15 MINUTES!
    PayPal is accepted only!

• Reply 7 of 36
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Never mind all that.

Whoa. Coming from you, Quadra 610, that's pretty serious criticism, and one that I pay attention to.

Can you be more specific/substantive?
  • Reply 8 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Scarface View Post

It would be nice just to have the iOS 7 but noooo.... We have wait for apple to release there new phone first what a bunch BS

What entitles you to the software now? You want to whine about how buggy it is, go illegally download the developer preview and complain.

iPhone OS versions are always released with new hardware. That you choose to ignore this is your problem.

• Reply 9 of 36
    grbladegrblade Posts: 93member
    AT&T automatically joins iPhones to attwifi networks at various businesses that use it.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Wow, security for WiFi access points. I don't think this is anonymous, which is a good thing. This way if people try and hack or whatever from a hotspot, they can be identified, obviously there will be way around this, I know "exception trolls", but still this should be cool.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarface View Post

It's not ready yet, it's a developer preview.  It'll be released when it's ready (hopefully after they've designed some decent icons image).

• Reply 12 of 36
    Hey anant. :)

I can't really give you a response that would do justice to your question. I can't see beyond my disappointment at the moment. If the Release will look and behave anything like the beta, I'll probably jail-break for the first time ever and find a different theme.

Again, this is only my first reaction, and it's like I've broken out in hives. Keep that in mind. Some things still look out of place by default, because the iOS ecosystem isn't fleshed out with iOS 7 yet.

I'll write more later. But for now, I'm having an interesting reaction to iOS Bauhaus. ;)
  • Reply 13 of 36
    I'm part of the skeumorphism-within-reason camp. Game-centre texture, no. Linen texture throughout the OS, for example, yes. This iOS 7 thing has no depth or texture or life to it. It's drab and sterile.

I'll stop now because I don't want to derail this thread. But this OS has no warmth to it. No charm. It has no character at all.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by grblade View Post

AT&T automatically joins iPhones to attwifi networks at various businesses that use it.

The problem with auto-joining is that a lot of heavy data usage can be limited to WiFi-only. But if the WiFi is from your cellphone provider, they might still count the data against your limit (they do with my carrier).

• Reply 15 of 36
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    I really like it even though I too liked the linen. I'm impressed with the amount of new features as well.

It's just beta 0 at the moment, and keep in mind folks they redid the entire GUI in 7 months
  • Reply 16 of 36
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Congratulations... A new record for a collection of whiny, childish, myopic children who were, not a week ago, crying about how stale iOS was looking. A week with iOS 7 and you'll all be laughing at how dated 6 looks.
    It's style, people... You'll adjust to whatever's in front of you.
    Grow up.

Oh, BTW, it's months until final release.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

I don't think it does. I always need to authenticate at Starbucks (I'm on ATT) whenever I try Wi-fi. Starbucks is an ATT Wi-fi partner.

• Reply 18 of 36
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Congratulations... A new record for a collection of whiny, childish, myopic children who were, not a week ago, crying about how stale iOS was looking. A week with iOS 7 and you'll all be laughing at how dated 6 looks.

It's style, people... You'll adjust to whatever's in front of you.

Grow up.

Oh, BTW, it's months until final release.

Exactly! I'm dumbfounded by all the whiners who got exactly what they were asking for. Now, it's, "OMG, Apple effed this up!" I'm finally convinced that some people, even so-called Apple fans, will never be happy. I read the live blogs and watched the keynote and Apple did pretty much everything they could have with this iOS 7 release-and more. Cry me a frickin' river.

• Reply 19 of 36
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    There is a lot I like about the new design. Quite a bit that caught me by surprise, and I'm still getting used to.

But, as a designer....as a software and web designer....I'm learning, just by looking at what they did and imagining why. Despite it being a little confusing (after 6 years of iOS looking nearly identical)....I can really appreciate where they are going with this. Lots of potential with this design. Lots of FREEDOM with this design.

It navigates the same, but looks entirely different. That to me is amazing. I'm using it unconsciously as I always have, with no problem. Once you get over the "change", you see the design get out of your way.

However. The parallax effect on the background makes me nauseous, as all digital 3D and fake 3D does to me. :\
  • Reply 20 of 36

I have no parallax affect on my phone. How do i enable it? I have ios 7 and it works fine but there is no 3d effect of any kind.