iWork suite coming to iCloud with browser-based document support

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Citation?

Well I can't provide a citation from an alternative reality that never happened, where they spent all their time working on the iOS and OS X iWork instead of the web one. But I can point out that freed-up developers don't sit around doing nothing, so presumably the iOS and OS X iWork would be further ahead. Would they have done a release every 6 months? We will never know now.

I don't know what's so controversial about my wanting Apple to work on software for iOS and OS X instead of software for the web.

Quote:

So Office documents can be created, edited, and managed, 1:1 between Office desktop and some form of Office online?

You say that as though people would want it (for iWork). Citation?

• Reply 42 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Would they have done a release every 6 months? We will never know now.

Given the history, it's obvious. This never would have happened in the first place.

I don't know what's so controversial about my wanting Apple to work on software for iOS and OS X instead of software for the web.

You'd ignore a valid and necessary feature for potential switchers. What makes you think the web version took four years? Who says they would have ever released a new version before now? Maybe they always wanted a web version before the next update.

• Reply 43 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Given the history, it's obvious. This never would have happened in the first place.

What's so implausible about them just gradually improving native iWork over the years and releasing periodic updates? That's how most software projects work. 

I have worked on large Javascript projects before: the language is great for writing small programs and getting them up and running quickly, but for large projects it just doesn't have the language strictness needed to keep large code bases from getting out of control. It is going to suck up a large amount of development resources on an ongoing basis just to keep this web version up and running.

iOS users will just use the iOS version and OS X users will use the OS X version, so the only people who will use this are PC and Android users, so that's a lot of developer effort that could be spent on Apple users being spent on non-Apple users.

Quote:

You'd ignore a valid and necessary feature for potential switchers. What makes you think the web version took four years? Who says they would have ever released a new version before now? Maybe they always wanted a web version before the next update.

All you need for switchers is the ability to import/export lots of different file formats. That is definitely something I would favor them working on.

• Reply 44 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

What's so implausible about them just gradually improving native iWork over the years and releasing periodic updates?

There would have been an update a year, not incremental ones beyond bug fixes. That we're getting an update (and don't know its scope) doesn't yet tell us much about what they've been doing.

I have worked on large Javascript projects before: the language is great for writing small programs and getting them up and running quickly, but for large projects it just doesn't have the language strictness needed to keep large code bases from getting out of control.

Oh, sure. Not a single argument there. 

It is going to suck up a large amount of development resources on an ongoing basis just to keep this web version up and running.

I'm not sure about that, though. I can see a moderate investment being required to keep feature parity, but…

iOS users will just use the iOS version and OS X users will use the OS X version, so the only people who will use this are PC and Android users…

Bingo! Exactly! That's really what it's for! It's for Mac users forced to use a PC and for PC users to see what they're missing. It's a switcher tool, like iTunes. They get to actually use the software they don't have access to.

All you need for switchers is the ability to import/export lots of different file formats. That is definitely something I would favor them working on.

Not if they're still making up their minds. Not if they don't want to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars in buying a Mac and THEN doing this. At any rate, it seems they're listening; Office documents seem to import just fine.

• Reply 45 of 45
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Users will be able to quickly edit and save documents, and even do advanced tasks like adding images, cropping them, and rotating them. iWork for iCloud will also support Keynote animations for transitioning between slides.

Dear Apple... We need optimizers. Badly and long since. But you can now do even better. Please go see Wolfram and figure how to plug the Mathematica into our tables and sheets out there in your iCloud. Show us the cloud computing. Stop looking better than Google Docs *yawn*, do tremendously, thrillingly better.

Some pay for the iTunes Match, others will for the Mathematica.