Apple looks to bring developers into the iAd fold with Workbench

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New APIs and user-facing features aren't the only things Apple pushed out to developers at this week's Worldwide Developers Conference, as the iPhone maker has also expanded its iAd platform in an effort to make it more appealing to app publishers.

iMacs

Apple on Wednesday rolled out the new iAd Workbench, a tool that allows developers to promote their apps across Apple's advertising platform. The new service provides a dashboard for developers to generate targeted banner ads for their apps, leveraging Apple's knowledge of user behaviors to let app makers see what they will be spending and what impact they can expect an ad buy to have. Developers are able to try out ad buys on Apple's network for as little as $50.

Screenshots from Workbench show an interface wherein users input their ad buy budget, maximum daily spend, and cost-per-click bid, with the system then computing estimates of how many users will likely see an ad, click on it, and download it. Workbench has both automatic targeting options and manual targeting options.

The manual setting allows developers to fine tune their targeting, aiming for users by their app preferences, movie preferences, and so forth. The auto setting has iAd determine the right audience for an app.

Workbench also has an array of tools and analytics aimed at helping developers optimize and refine their ad campaigns. The service's dashboard reveals performance data in the form of charts, with metrics including total impressions, taps, average cost-per-click, and total downloads.

In addition to the targeting options, iAd Workbench helps developers make their own banner ads using built-in Apple-designed templates. This feature scales automatically across devices if an ad is meant to run across both iPad and iPhone. Users can also upload their own ad content if they choose.

Workbench marks a shift for Apple's iAd platform, which the Cupertino company has typically geared toward advertisers of goods and services. In targeting developers more specifically, Apple is leveraging its own intimate knowledge of user behaviors in the App Store, Music Store, and Bookstore and turning that into actionable data for app developers.

Though iAd recently became the first mobile platform to gain accreditation from the Media Ratings Council, a major advertising body, the platform has somewhat underperformed given the success of other Apple ventures.

Ad buys on iAd started out at $1 million when Apple rolled out the service. Soft demand for the service caused Apple to cut that minimum in half months after its debut. Apple continued to reduce prices on iAd buys, eventually reducing the minimum ad buy to $100,000.

All the while, Apple has sought to get more developers to use iAds in their apps. In April of last year, the company increased the share of revenue developers get from 60 to 70 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

The manual setting allows developers to fine tune their targeting, aiming for users by their app preferences, movie preferences, and so forth. The auto setting has iAd determine the right audience for an app..

What's interesting is that even if you never bought a movie from Apple, iTunes Match still searches your device for any media you might have purchased or downloaded elsewhere and adds the finds to your iAds profile anyway to bolster ad targeting. No idea if Apple logs your media files outside of iTunes Match.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

What's interesting is that even if you never bought a movie from Apple, iTunes Match still searches your device for any media you might have purchased or downloaded elsewhere and adds the finds to your iAds profile anyway to bolster ad targeting. No idea if Apple logs your media files outside of iTunes Match.

"Logs" is not the correct word here. If you sign up for iTunes Match, you explicitly agree to tell them what you have so that they can, you know, match it. If you turn on Genius, you explicitly agree to tell them what you have so that they can, you know, figure out what you might like. They aren't "logging" it, you are purposely sending them the data so they can do with it exactly what they tell you they will do with it.

Oh, and I must have missed the part where Apple said they add this data to you iAd profile.

But, it should surprise no one that GG would attempt to sow misinformation on this topic.

• Reply 3 of 8
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I would still like to see them open this up as web based ads a la Google Adsense. People being able to put ads on websites would encourage folks to use the system given that web browsing etc is still a major activity
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    I personally expect they just may do that someday. Over time there will be fewer differences between Apple, Google, and Microsoft in what markets they get revenue from and how they play in them.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

As far as ads go, iAds are the best. I see the ads, and if they are interesting, I click on it. Competitors products are annoying often times relying on tricks to get you to click. Unfortunately, I have not seen an iAd in a while. If I were Apple, I would tie in the iTunes Radio ad campaigns with iOS apps relying on ads. Apple should also think about expanding the iAd to other platforms. In the very least, that might hurt Google. 

• Reply 6 of 8
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

The big problem with iAds, and why I no longer have any in my apps, is that they only have the banner ad format.  These end up going on the edge of the screen and people tune them out pretty quickly. Also, they look very tacky.  It's like a bit of the web in my app.

Imagine what iAds will look like inside iOS 7!

IF they had square formats and formats that worked in a native advertising way, then they'd be much more compelling.

• Reply 7 of 8
    I have yet to see an iAd that interested me in the slightest, and the only reason I've ever clicked on one is because I was clumsy in trying to select something else on the screen.

I'm fed up with being force-fed the consumerist nonsense served up by Apple's advertisers. And I'm at the point that I got to with cable TV when it deteriorated into 12-hrs of informercials at night on my dime: why the hell am I paying the price of an iPhone to Apple and the monthly cost of carrier service to be served an endless stream of crap I'm not only not interested in, but don't have the budget for anyway?

In someone's notorious words: I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Since Google make all their money with ads, they *can't* stop advertising. This is a strategic opportunity for Apple because people don't like ads, so this is an opportunity to take users away from Google in a way that Google can't counter (without going broke). So it's a real shame to see Apple continuing to use iAd.