BMW shuns Apple's 'iOS in the Car' to stick with its own technology [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After being one of the first car companies to offer iPod integration, BMW is surprisingly not on the list of carmakers that announced their support for Apple's new "iOS in the Car" functionality this week.

Update: In a statement to AutoBlog, BMW clarified its position on iOS in the Car integration. The German automaker said it is in close contact with Apple and is "investigating the technical challenges required to integrate iOS in the Car, but since a final decision had not been made, it was not a part of Apple's announcement."

iMacs

The luxury automobile maker spoke up on the issue on Wednesday, revealing that BMW officials are not willing to change their cars to suit Apple's requirements for iOS integration.

"The upshot is that as we have such an advanced multimedia offer that has been in vehicles in various guises for more than a decade, it would not be that straight forward to start changing all of the architecture of a car as has been implied [by Apple]," a spokesperson told ArnoldClark.com. The spokesperson went on to say that the process for integrating iOS into a car's dashboard is "not as simple as it sounds."

Due to the architectural changes necessary to bring iOS to the BMW dashboard, the company does not expect that BMW models will see iOS in the Car in the short to mid-term. Instead, the company will be sticking with its iDrive and ConnectedDrive interfaces.

Further, the BMW spokesperson said that it is unlikely to see iOS in the Car becoming ubiquitous in the next few years, due to the fact that the interfaces carmakers put into their vehicles are planned out years in advance.

BMW has typically been quick to build integration with Apple products into its vehicles. The carmaker was among the first to build in support for the iPod nearly a decade ago, and it continually rolls out apps to make its cars work better with iOS devices.

BMW already confirmed last week that it will be integrating Siri Eyes Free mode into all of its 2014 cars.

Apple revealed iOS in the Car as part of a larger look at all of the features in iOS 7. Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Ferrari, Chevy, Infiniti, Kia, Hyundai, Volvo, Acura, Opel, and Jaguar have all announced support for the new iOS feature, which displays tweaked iOS content on a car's in-dashboard touchscreen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 164
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    WHAT!!! no BMW???? This totally sucks!... Oh never mind! who cares, BMW's are just overpriced dick magnets anyways.
  • Reply 2 of 164
    What about Audi??
  • Reply 3 of 164

I was more surprised to not see the world's largest automaker: Toyota.

• Reply 4 of 164
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

As was I.
  • Reply 5 of 164
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

I was surprised not to see BMW there during the presentation. I hope that it simply reflects negotiations-in-progress.

If they are not on board, it will probably affect my decision to repeat purchase.

• Reply 6 of 164
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Guess my next car won't be a BMW. image

• Reply 7 of 164
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

That title switches owner quite a bit.
  • Reply 8 of 164
    jr_bjr_b Posts: 64member
    Anything would be an improvement over BMW's system.
  • Reply 9 of 164
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    "The spokesperson went on to say that the process for integrating iOS into a car's dashboard is not as simple as it sounds."

Reminiscent of the industry saying Apple couldn't build a phone.

"the interfaces carmakers put into their vehicles are planned out years in advance."

Really? Is that why they all look like crap? Because by the time you put it in your cars, it already looks decades old?
  • Reply 10 of 164
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As was I.

What's the benefit to carmakers over their existing systems which have been in place for years? They would have to create entire new systems and retrain everybody.

I don't see it being the a deal breaker to very many people buying a car at all. What kinds of things iOS in the car do that BMW's iDrive or even Ford's MyFord Touch can't do?

• Reply 11 of 164

Nice to see Volvo on there (just picked up our first one, a 2009 model, and it's really nice). Our BMWs are all older so I can't speak to their "advanced multimedia offer" for the past decade (most recent we have is 2002 and it's technology is, imho, not great). Hopefully they've greatly improved from early versions of iDrive which I saw (not pleasant to use).

I see integrating with customers existing mobile tech as the way of the future, not big technology stacks built into the vehicle (with non-upgradabe hardware). Just like iPads for the kids in the back make way more sense than built-in video kits from the auto manufacturer.

• Reply 12 of 164
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    Bummer no bmw
  • Reply 13 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That title switches owner quite a bit.

Except for 2011, it's generally been Toyota based on straight volume. Now they've gotten hurt in China of late and the US a little, so the top 3 are all fairly close between T/GM/VW but as of latest numbers it's still Toyota. 

• Reply 14 of 164
    brianbrian Posts: 7member
    Porsche has the worst in-car navigations I have ever used%u2014or even heard of. And it costs about $4000! I am very surprised they wouldn't take advantage the opportunity to bring their system up to modern standards (or surpass modern standards). I am going to have to wait to replace my current Boxster until they fix their incompetent PCM system. I couldn't bare the thought of being without a Boxster, though.
  • Reply 15 of 164
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Damn! No Fiat!
  • Reply 16 of 164
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    nexusphan wrote: »
    What kinds of things iOS in the car do that BMW's iDrive or even Ford's MyFord Touch can't do?

It's iOS...
  • Reply 17 of 164
    tarfungotarfungo Posts: 92member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr_b View Post

More precisely, ANYTHING is an improvement than a BMW - period.

• Reply 18 of 164
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's iOS...

Really? It's the full iOS system and you can do everything you can on iOS? Games and everything on the car screen? Does that mean that we can't check vehicle systems/info on the screen anymore? Can't control satellite radio? I'm not sure I fully understand what this system will look like and how it will integrate into the car's mechanical systems.

• Reply 19 of 164
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr_b View Post

Not too bad once you get used to it. I do agree however, the Apple solution would be so much better.

• Reply 20 of 164
    sgtpepasgtpepa Posts: 1member
    BMW is the most arrogant company. They think they can do a better job but in truth, they have the most user unfriendly systems known to man. I have been a BMW driver since 1980 and have had over 25 of them. They make a great car, but they do not know jack about electronics. Their navigation does work as good as my $49 Tom Tom app on my iPhone that gets me where I am going by the most direct and correct route. To change music on the iPhone or iPod requires so many clicks, that even someone geeky like me gets disgusted. Their iDrive is much improved. But that is only when you know what they were like previously. It may be the Ultimate Driving Machine, but it is not an electronic marvel. Maybe it is time to put my loyalty aside and see what really is available in the luxury car market.