• Reply 21 of 164
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    dugbug wrote: »
    Bummer no bmw
    So close! You should have said:

"Bummer, no beamer"
  • Reply 22 of 164
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member

predictable bunch these Apple fundamentalists.

• Reply 23 of 164
    jr_bjr_b Posts: 64member

Obviously you have never driven a BMW car w/sports suspension.  I owned one.  The car handle like no other car I've ever owned.  The electronics sucked.  I admit, I've driven several regular BMWs.  None of them handled as well as the one I owned.  

• Reply 24 of 164
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Except for 2011, it's generally been Toyota based on straight volume. Now they've gotten hurt in China of late and the US a little, so the top 3 are all fairly close between T/GM/VW but as of latest numbers it's still Toyota. 

I wish the smartphone industry was more like the auto industry. All major players doing well and almost the same amount of business.
  • Reply 25 of 164
    undedunded Posts: 43member
    That's sealed the decision for me: I will not be buying the M3. Too bad I really liked how it drives.
  • Reply 26 of 164
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's iOS...

Thank you for putting it so succinctly!

• Reply 27 of 164
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member

no volkswagon brands at all - I emailed them on monday to see if it was pending  - no answer

• Reply 28 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by unDED View Post

That's sealed the decision for me: I will not be buying the M3. Too bad I really liked how it drives. /s

There, I fixed it for you.

• Reply 29 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckalec View Post

no volkswagon brands at all - I emailed them on monday to see if it was pending  - no answer

This doesn't surprise me at all. By the time BMW came out with the smartphone adaptor for the iPhone 4, the iPhone 5 was only a few months away. Then, when I connected my iPhone 5 to the system (USB), iDrive told me it was an unsupported device. May not be the case now with newer software, but it certainly didn't work when I tried it.

• Reply 30 of 164
    ozboneozbone Posts: 5member
    Totally stoopid on BMWs part. Their "advanced multimedia" is and has been a bad jobke for years. They have no clue what to do and should concentrate on what they know best.
  • Reply 31 of 164
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr_b View Post

Obviously you have never driven a BMW car w/sports suspension.  I owned one.  The car handle like no other car I've ever owned.  The electronics sucked.  I admit, I've driven several regular BMWs.  None of them handled as well as the one I owned.  

I like mine. I have not driven any of the sport versions. I'm sort of an obey the speed limit type person so sport handling isn't that important to me. It would be nice to have Siri find a location and plot the turn by turn. Other than that I find all auto electronic entertainment,  information and communication features to be distracting and avoid using them.

• Reply 32 of 164
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

6 of the 9 car companies that endorsed siri eyes free are not on the list to support iOS in the car. Interesting.

This is going to end the same as siri eyes-free. Many car logos on the screen when it was announced. And today? Only one car company used it.

• Reply 33 of 164
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

What kinds of things iOS in the car do that BMW's iDrive or even Ford's MyFord Touch can't do?

Fully integrate, reliably, with your iPhone and allow you to use it without reading a manual.

• Reply 34 of 164
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    nexusphan wrote: »
    It's iOS...

Really? It's the full iOS system and you can do everything you can on iOS? G
    ames and everything on the car screen? Does that mean that we can't check vehicle systems/info on the screen anymore? Can't control satellite radio? I'm not sure I fully understand what this system will look like and how it will integrate into the car's mechanical systems.

I'm guessing it is more like a special version of AirPlay. iOS is on your phone, but it uses your in-dash screen and likely other controls / touch for input. Most systems have a "media" mode option or something similar for calling up the iPod type control. This would just be more generic since it can support navigation and other services. I would expect an app might be able to be aware it is in use via a car and change its behaviors and integrate. It will be interesting to see what it actually is and how consistent it is across manufacturers. None of the brands I have driven recently are in the list. It will be a point of consideration for my next purchase, but likely not a deciding factor.
  • Reply 35 of 164
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I wish the smartphone industry was more like the auto industry. All major players doing well and almost the same amount of business.

You mean prices going up every year and stagnant, decades old technology years behind the rest of the world?

• Reply 36 of 164
    xclntgigxclntgig Posts: 16member

What about Volkswagen?  Don't they have that new iBeetle coming out soon? 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/04/21/volkswagon-preps-iphone-integrated-ibeetle-for-reveal-next-week

• Reply 37 of 164
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    freediverx wrote: »
    You mean prices going up every year and stagnant, decades old technology years behind the rest of the world?

No. I clearly wrote what I meant. Was that too difficult for you?
  • Reply 38 of 164
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Fully integrate, reliably, with your iPhone and allow you to use it without reading a manual.

Thank you for the nondescript answer.

MyFord Touch can already do this. When you have a supported app on your iPhone MFT automatically detects it and completely integrates it with the system. http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/features/sync-app-link/

It reads your texts aloud. It can take your phone's internet connection and create a WiFi hotspot in the car.

I just don't see any benefit for manufacturers to use this when they already have systems in place that do everything this does but for Windows/Android/iOS

• Reply 39 of 164
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

What's the benefit to carmakers over their existing systems which have been in place for years? They would have to create entire new systems and retrain everybody.

I don't see it being the a deal breaker to very many people buying a car at all. What kinds of things iOS in the car do that BMW's iDrive or even Ford's MyFord Touch can't do?

Have you seen what car interfaces look like?  If the UI was much better and standardized, there would be no reason to retrain.  I don't use an Android phone, but if I picked one up, I would know how to get around in it.  It's all about user experience.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

• Reply 39 of 164
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I want knobs and buttons--real ones--for climate control.

For everything else, I want iOS! Car UI's are horrible!

I'm sure the automakers hate the idea of becoming unable to sell you an awful $2000 touchscreen upgrade with 1990s GPS and a UI only an engineer could love.