Apple's latest AirPort Time Capsule expectedly similar to redesigned AirPort Extreme

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Coming hours after Apple's AirPort Extreme received the teardown treatment, the same was done to the 802.11ac Wi-Fi router's HDD-packing sibling Time Capsule, with results expectedly showing no difference between the two aside from the hard drive and corresponding port.

Time Capsule Teardown
The few parts from Apple's latest Time Capsule which are missing from the AirPort Extreme. | Source: iFixit

After dismantling the AirPort Extreme earlier on Wednesday, iFixit released images of a torn down Time Capsule.

As expected, the empty space seen in the Extreme is filled by a hard drive, in this case a 2TB Seagate Barracuda. Other than the HDD and its accompanying mounting and cabling hardware, the Time Capsule is nearly identical to the Extreme.

There is one difference on the control board, however, in a port to connect with the HDD. This space was left empty on the AirPort Extreme version.

Time Capsule Teardown
HDD connector port.

iFixit gives the AirPort time capsule the same 8 out of 10 score as the Extreme, noting the two products are almost identical.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    So that means you can buy a cheaper Airport Extreme Basestation and add an Hard Drive yourself?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Of course it's similar. The only real difference between the two is one has a hard drive and backs up data and the other one doesn't. I wouldn't expect them to do much else that what they are doing. About the only thing I could see Apple doing is selling a hard drive kit with the various other clips and attachments to upgrade from a Extreme to a Time Capsule and also requiring a firmware upgrade. But doing it that way would more confusing to the average Joe Blow, it would increase support costs, especially since a lot of people might not be able to install the drive and firmware properly, thus requiring more after sale support.

The way they are doing makes sense. There are reasons to buy both products, but functionally they do the same exact thing only one backs up data and the other doesn't. I'm wondering when they are going to offer a SSD version. God, do I hate hard drives.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I'm sure there is a little more to it than just a clip to attach the hard drive cable. I'm sure there is a controller chip that's on the board that's hidden in the picture. I doubt that Apple is going to put a hard drive controller chip in a product that doesn't have a hard drive.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

"Coming hours after Apple's AirPort Extreme received the teardown treatment,"

Wasn't that obvious 'hours ago'?

Hell, I worked it out when I saw WWDC 2013.

• Reply 5 of 25
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

"Coming hours after Apple's AirPort Extreme received the teardown treatment,"

Wasn't that obvious 'hours ago'?

Hell, I worked it out when I saw WWDC 2013.

Sounds like a eureka moment.  Hours after having taken apart the two devices, like a bolt out the blue, the researcher suddenly realized that the detailed write up of each were exactly the same with only 2 sentences separating them.  Then and only then did he realize the magnitude of the discovery!  Stay tuned for next week when the new 11" MacBook Air with 256GB of flash storage is compared to the 512GB model; you won't believe what they found!

• Reply 6 of 25

Not without the port on the control board.

• Reply 7 of 25
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by commentssf View Post

So that means you can buy a cheaper Airport Extreme Basestation and add an Hard Drive yourself?

"There is one difference on the control board, however, in a port to connect with the HDD. This space was left empty on the AirPort Extreme version."

• Reply 8 of 25
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I'm wondering when they are going to offer a SSD version. God, do I hate hard drives.

I hate hard drives for use in primary storage, too. However, they definitely have their places, and backup storage is one of them.

Im curious - what do you think the specific benefit of an SSD as a backup drive would be? Latency and throughput are pretty much non-issues, especially when you consider that in such applications the processor is the choke point. Power consumption is reduced, but this is not a portable, battery-operated device. The big issue is cost. A 2TB SSD is not likely to be competitive any time soon.

If you are looking to use this as a high-performance NAS, this isn't the right solution.

• Reply 9 of 25
    Personally, I really wish they had used a USB 3.0 port instead of USB 2.0. Better yet would've been a single Thunderbolt port.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member

Interested....until I saw 'Seagate'.

Then, not so much.

How that company managed to stay in business I will never know.

• Reply 11 of 25
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaine_Michael View Post

Personally, I really wish they had used a USB 3.0 port instead of USB 2.0. Better yet would've been a single Thunderbolt port.

There is no reason for either. It would just be an added expense for no benefit.

• Reply 12 of 25
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

There is no reason for either. It would just be an added expense for no benefit.

There could be. Accessing an attached disk over the network would be no faster, but there is a button in Airport Utility that says "Archive Disk" that causes it to copy the contents of the internal disk to whatever you have attached to the USB port. A USB3 HD could perform this archiving quite a bit faster than a USB2 one.

• Reply 13 of 25
    misamisa Posts: 827member

I think you miss the point of the Airport and Time Capsule devices.

Both of these are connected by GigE/802.11-something, but on past devices you could connect a USB drive and turn the Airport into a Time Capsule.

But mechanical hard drives (particularly the 5400RPM models used in external drives) are never really going to exceed USB2.0 specifications. Even when you plug in a SATA SSD, you're looking at a speed that is crippled but the weak processors used in these devices. 625MB/sec for USB3, 750MB for SATA6G, the PCIe SSD's are limited by interface they connect with ( 1 PCIe 3.0 lane = 985MB/sec ), some Fusion i/o devices with 16 lane SSD cards have 6700MB/sec benchmarks.

Even the most efficient 802.11ac hardware is going to peak at 423MB/sec

So in other words, even the most efficient Segate drive specs out to 210MB/sec (7200rpm), But you're going to get maybe 130MB/sec tops.

Even if you could connect a 6Gbps Sata device or a 5Gbps USB3 device, you're still going to be crippled down by the 3.5Gbps 802.11ac or 1Gbps ethernet connections.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Seagate drives have in my personal experience dealing with thousands of hard drives for Macs in the last three decades, have been by far the most unreliable make out there. I hope they offer an alternative.

As to those mentioning SSD's are not required for a back up I'd say they are on noise and heat alone, the remaining problem is of course size and cost for now. A year or so from now there won't be any spinners used by Apple who I am pretty sure will be relegating them to the same bin as floppies, CD drives and SCSI ports.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

About the only thing I could see Apple doing is selling a hard drive kit with the various other clips and attachments to upgrade from a Extreme to a Time Capsule and also requiring a firmware upgrade.

Seriously?  You could see Apple doing that?  There is absolutely no way they will ever do this.

They say- "Here is a Time Capsule, buy this".

• Reply 16 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    andysol wrote: »
    Seriously?  You could see Apple doing that?  There is absolutely no way they will ever do this.

They say- "Here is a Time Capsule, buy this".

I agree because it is all about supportability. The only possible way would be if the drive were added by an official Apple tech and i seriously doubt they even go that route.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Interested....until I saw 'Seagate'.

They've used Seagates for years in the TCs.  It is under standard warranty for a year- but where it is an incredible value is if you get AppleCare with the next Mac you buy- you can have it under warranty for at a minimum of 3 years up to 5 years!  For the record, this also means you can have your TC from its standard 1 year warranty up to 3 years, even if you don't buy Applecare.  In essence, you can buy a TC up to 2 years before you purchase another Mac- and the day you purchase your Mac & AppleCare is when the "1 year clock" or "3 year clock" starts.

What’s covered — Mac

• Your Mac computer

• Included accessories such as the power adapter

• Apple memory (RAM)

• AirPort Express Base Station, AirPort Extreme Base Station, or Time Capsule2

• Apple USB SuperDrive (for MacBook Air, MacBook Pro with Retina display, iMac, and Mac mini)

• Apple display purchased with your Mac

2. The AirPort device or Time Capsule must be purchased up to two years before your Mac purchase or during the term of your AppleCare Protection Plan coverage.

• Reply 18 of 25
    So does this mean I can get an Airport Extreme, and then insert a decent network hard drive rather than the mismatched Barracuda that Apple is shipping with the Time Capsule? A Western Digital Red would be perfect for this device — you want the coolest running drive you can get for a sealed casing like this, and a drive with network-oriented firmware for this purpose — but Apple just had to go and put in something completely unsuitable, a hotter-running, slightly faster drive that's oriented toward desktop computers rather than network backup, just because it's cheap.
  • Reply 19 of 25

@ andysol, Good to know.  I wish they'd put a more network-oriented drive in there, however.

• Reply 20 of 25
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Gigabit Wireless will run circles around USB2. A USB3 port was definitely warranted and its omission is cause for derision.