Reuters: Apple mulling $99 multi-color and larger-screened iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A report on Thursday claims Apple is looking into a variety of possibilities to expand its iPhone lineup for 2013 and 2014, including cheaper pricing, larger screen sizes and multiple colors.

iPhone 5

According to Reuters, four people with knowledge of Apple's plans say the company is investigating a number of iPhone models for 2014, such as a $99 version, 4.7-inch and 5.7 iterations and models with color options other than black and white.

While the sources appear to be reiterating rumors that have been bandied about for months now, they claimed to have direct knowledge of the situation via suppliers within Asia that are fielding inquiries from Apple regarding iPhones with larger displays. More specifically, these people said the company has narrowed down possible screen sizes to 4.7 and 5.7 inches, and may introduce two "bigger" models next year.

The publication reports Apple's rumored iPhones are a direct response to the Samsung's performance in the smartphone market, which has outpaced Apple since mid 2012. As per usual, the sources hedged their statements by noting Apple "constantly change[s] product specifications almost to the final moment, so you're not really sure whether this is the final prototype."

In January, a questionable report first suggested that a 4.8-inch iPhone could be in the works for 2013, but rumors surrounding a "phablet" iPhone have since died down.

Perhaps more interesting in Thursday's report are details regarding a lower cost iPhone, which sources said could be priced as low as $99. As widely speculated, the entry-level handset is to be produced in a variety of colors and will be made of plastic to keep costs down.

Reuters apparently received conflicting reports regarding the cheaper iPhone, however, as one of its sources claimed the handset may not launch until 2014, while others said test runs are already scheduled for July ahead of mass production in August.

"Trial production was originally planned to start in June, but the mixing of colours is taking longer than expected as Apple has very high and idealistic standards," one source said, adding that some 20 million units of the less expensive iPhone are expected to ship in the fourth quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I think Apple should do a phone that's no bigger than 4.8 inch. All of the signs towards a 5 inch phone seems to be a very small market. The S4, from what I understand isn't doing so well and the other 5 inch phones probably aren't either.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I don't know how anyone can make any money on a $99 retail list price unlocked, no 2 year service contract phone. In order to resell it, they have to make the thing, packaging and all for less than $20 and they'd STILL lose money because of a warranty and support calls would eat up profits in 2 seconds.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

With the new iAd Exchange and advertisement driven iRadio. Here is whats next:

$99 4.8" iPhone without a contract. Subsidized by advertisements on lock screen. Let user add details like age, interests, area, etc. 

Let the advertisers subsidize phones, and Apple can take a 30% fee like with everything on iTunes.

This way you can disrupt GOOGLEs business, while seriously enter India, China etc. And the IOS ecosystem will become a whole lot stronger. It´s a win win.

• Reply 4 of 46
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    The 5" Rumors is only because that is what PPI / Ratio happen to iPad Mini. So the 4.7 and 5.7 size doesn't make sense. Unless the Next Generation of iPhone will have completely difference pixel size count then iPhone 5.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    I'm sure that during the average working day, Apple 'mulls' a lot of things. Is this really so shocking that it needs reporting?
  • Reply 6 of 46
    It's about time that we have a larger iPhone.
    Consumers have indicated they want a larger iPhone as demonstrated by the S3 S4 sales. Once Apple creates a larger iPhone it will return to its stock price glory of 6 mos ago.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    drblank wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone can make any money on a $99 retail list price unlocked, no 2 year service contract phone. In order to resell it, they have to make the thing, packaging and all for less than $20 and they'd STILL lose money because of a warranty and support calls would eat up profits in 2 seconds.

other companies can make profit on phones at this price point, why can't Apple?
  • Reply 8 of 46
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member

Are u sure this is unlocked retail iPhone for $99, I know it is speculation, but is this a rumor or maybe strong thought by Apple. Interesting even though the specs would be lower than high end iPhone, it would sell like 'hot curry fries' in India.

This week Apple have shown me innovation, now they going to blow the competition out water (in India anyway) with such a price point for iPhone.

• Reply 9 of 46
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    jfanning wrote: »

Other companies aren't making the kind of profit everybody expects from apple.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    drblank wrote: »
    I think Apple should do a phone that's no bigger than 4.8 inch. All of the signs towards a 5 inch phone seems to be a very small market. The S4, from what I understand isn't doing so well and the other 5 inch phones probably aren't either.
    Totally wrong - they are doing extremely well here in Asia where they tend to be ones primary computing device so the larger screen is more desirable. The whole world does not revolve around the narrow and uninformed views of the US.

An American living in China....
  • Reply 11 of 46
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    hydr wrote: »
    With the new iAd Exchange and advertisement driven iRadio. Here is whats next:
    $99 4.8" iPhone without a contract. Subsidized by advertisements on lock screen. Let user add details like age, interests, area, etc. 
    Let the advertisers subsidize phones, and Apple can take a 30% fee like with everything on iTunes.

This way you can disrupt GOOGLEs business, while seriously enter India, China etc. And the IOS ecosystem will become a whole lot stronger. It´s a win win.
    No advertiser would be interested in pushing ads onto such a person's screen.
  • Reply 12 of 46

The only reason I moved to an S4 is the larger size screen.  I'd move back if Apple created a bigger screen.  They should also consider a removable battery. 

• Reply 13 of 46
    sdo2000sdo2000 Posts: 29member
    I wouldn't mind a larger screen if the form factor wasn't much bigger than the ip5. Make the bezel razer thin so the there is more room for a bigger screen.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Cheaper? Not a chance in Hell.

Larger? No kidding.

• Reply 15 of 46
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    If Apple makes a large screen iPhone, I'll junk my current phone and go get a Lumia. I'll show them!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 46
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Carpenter View Post

The only reason I moved to an S4 is the larger size screen.  I'd move back if Apple created a bigger screen.  They should also consider a removable battery. 

Having gone from a HTC Tytn II with its removable battery, to an iPhone 3GS and subsequently iPhone 5, I can see there are numerous advantages to the non-removable design, chiefly not being stuck with a redundant battery once you change handset.

I've got one of those pocket battery packs with a small multi-connector cable and this has the following advantages over a dedicated removable battery:

1. can be used with different makes of phone so still usable when you get a different model.

2. can be used to charge other people's phones, not just your own, e.g. colleague's battery goes flat whilst travelling.

3. no need to swap batteries in order to charge or have a dedicated charging dock for it.

4. easier to plug into a phone than to fiddle around taking the cover off a phone to swap its battery.

On balance much happier with this arrangement than with messing around with swapping batteries.

I still have the now useless dock and spare battery for my old Tytn II gathering dust in the house.

• Reply 17 of 46
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Bigger screen? Sure.
    Removable battery? Hahahahahahahahaha. Hahahaha. Get out of here with that foolishness.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    $99 no contract price will never happen.

$99 with contract? That's what the iPhone 5 will be.

This rumor is DOA but I do believe a lower cost iPhone will come this year.

IMO it may just be an iPhone 4S with Lightning and colors for $399.

As far as a larger phone that's a possibility. They could increase the screen size and double the pixel count or completely double the resolution again. But at the sane time I don't know if Apple sees larger screens as a big opportunity of growth. The lower cost market could be more valuable.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    jfanning wrote: »

Who is making money at that price point? Only Apple and Samsung are churning a profit. Moreover point me to a 99 smartphone that is unlocked and is not old inventory.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    blackbook wrote: »
    $99 no contract price will never happen.

$99 with contract? That's what the iPhone 5 will be.

This rumor is DOA but I do believe a lower cost iPhone will come this year.

IMO it may just be an iPhone 4S with Lightning and colors for $399.

As far as a larger phone that's a possibility. They could increase the screen size and double the pixel count or completely double the resolution again. But at the sane time I don't know if Apple sees larger screens as a big opportunity of growth. The lower cost market could be more valuable.

I say the 99 phone contract free is bunk as well. I also think Apple will release a cheaper rebranded iPhone 4S, but this is largely to compete in other markets.

I think Apple is also ceding a big part of the market not having a 4.8 inch phone. This is hardly scientific, but I live in a college town. A lot of men and Asian people seem to gravitate toward larger phones.