Rumor: Apple's inexpensive iPhone to adopt colors from iPhone 4 Bumpers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    I find the prospects of a low-cost iPhone interesting -- may help Apple grab more of the low cost market away from Windows and Android and win the lower-priced market kinda like they did with the MP3 market by releasing the iPod shuffle and iPod mini.

I created a comic that mentions this low-cost iPhone and the rumored iWatch and will add more comics -- trying to make my long-time Apple interest more productive You can see it here: http://www.technewshound.com/2013/06/apple-iwatch.html
  • Reply 22 of 66
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Wrong. Completely wrong. Apple doesn't want everyone in their ecosystem. Why should they? Their ecosystem is just a way to sell you  the product you want.

Look at the percentage or earnings and growth by groups. You will find out the are becoming slowly what they clam to be: a software company. However, both is wrong, they are actually besoming a strong digital era company, where ecosystem and products support each other for the benefit of user. THey are making inseparable coherence of products and services. 

• Reply 23 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by technewshound View Post

I find the prospects of a low-cost iPhone interesting -- may help Apple grab more of the low cost market away from Windows and Android and win the lower-priced market kinda like they did with the MP3 market by releasing the iPod shuffle and iPod mini.

I created a comic that mentions this low-cost iPhone and the rumored iWatch and will add more comics -- trying to make my long-time Apple interest more productive You can see it here: http://www.technewshound.com/2013/06/apple-iwatch.html

Excellent! You showed the point. image

• Reply 24 of 66
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Look at the percentage or earnings and growth by groups. You will find out the are becoming slowly what they clam to be: a software company. However, both is wrong, they are actually besoming a strong digital era company, where ecosystem and products support each other for the benefit of user. THey are making inseparable coherence of products and services. 

That doesn't mean they need everyone to be in their ecosystem. Like I said, the danger of Apple is when they are being seen everywhere.

But if they can find a way to make cheaper iPhone that serve some market segment well like they did with iPod then that's fine by me. But not cheaper for the sake of market share. That's dangerous.

• Reply 25 of 66

Quote:

That doesn't mean they need everyone to be in their ecosystem. Like I said, the danger of Apple is when they are being seen everywhere.

But if they can find a way to make cheaper iPhone that serve some market segment well like they did with iPod then that's fine by me. But not cheaper for the sake of market share. That's dangerous.

Everyone is of course strong word. I don't believe either Apple wants classic Android i-want-all-for-free customers, but they surely want to be accessible to everybody, not just to premium market segment. I don't believe for a second that "cheaper" will produce cheap product. Not by Apple. I remember late SJ saying: "we don't know how to make cheap notebook...". They made iPad instead. When iPhone Cheaper comes out I am pretty much sure people all over the place will wonder how the hell Apple could make such a fantastic device for such a reasonable money...

• Reply 26 of 66
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Everyone is of course strong word. I don't believe either Apple wants classic Android i-want-all-for-free customers, but they surely want to be accessible to everybody, not just to premium market segment. I don't believe for a second that "cheaper" will produce cheap product. Not by Apple. I remember late SJ saying: "we don't know how to make cheap notebook...". They made iPad instead. When iPhone Cheaper comes out I am pretty much sure people all over the place will wonder how the hell Apple could make such a fantastic device for such a reasonable money...

The question you should ask is: did they ever make a cheaper iPod classic with different material? The one that has the same size, the same function as iPod classic but different material and sold cheaper for the sake of market share? If they do something like this now, they'll cease to be the Apple we used to admire. They will be just a bean counter.

• Reply 27 of 66
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    A burnt orange 5S would be delicious.
  • Reply 28 of 66

Quote:

The question you should ask is: did they ever make a cheaper iPod classic with different material? The one that has the same size, the same function as iPod classic but different material and sold cheaper for the sake of market share? If they do something like this now, they'll cease to be the Apple we used to admire. They will be just a bean counter.

You certainly have the point here: cheaper here doesn't mean smaller as it has with iPods, this is true. Making it cheaper will cause it necessary to use different materials, cheaper materials, but not cheap. I still believe their cheaper phone will be something to admire. So will be Apple. Things change, so does Apple, Had changed already many times. But I still admire them.

• Reply 29 of 66
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Terrible colors. 

One word describes it for me: BLECH!!

• Reply 30 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

They won't have the colours in the picture unless they are also made out of rubber.  The material significantly changes the colour.  

• Reply 31 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

I'm actually amazed, how many people still don't understand that. Apple did this before with iPod and much sooner than they will with iPhones. While I might somehow understand that bigger screen iPhone was barely an option due to too big performance tradeoffs when trying to make it instantly compatible with screen resolution schema, I cannot understand why the hell did they wait for so long with lower cost iPhone....

They started only when all the statistic numbers starting to wind down strongly, thus showing to the world weaknesses and bad judgements. Having released iPhone Cheaper before, at least one year ago, market share cut in premium range and total would be easily compensated with mid-range and growing number of users as a "software company" as they claim to be...

This was and is plain and simple business cock up, especially when considering what a crap is any Android phone below premium range. Apple cannot do something shitty like that even intentionally...

I think you're listening to the pundits too much, I don't see that Apple is in trouble at all.  They are making the cheaper iPhone at just the right time IMO.  They are still on top, and the market is only now starting to saturate at the high end.  As long as they bring it out late this year, or early next everything will be fine.  

• Reply 32 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you're listening to the pundits too much, I don't see that Apple is in trouble at all.  They are making the cheaper iPhone at just the right time IMO.  They are still on top, and the market is only now starting to saturate at the high end.  As long as they bring it out late this year, or early next everything will be fine.  

I strongly hope you are right. Time will show. I couldn't care less about pundits, but instead of zillions of aShits I'd rather see iPhones. Even today. Especially in Europe.

• Reply 33 of 66
    I would buy the cheaper iPhone. I don't own one now only because I have no need for an expensive data plan because literally everywhere I go has wifi.

If they came out with a more affordable iPhone it would mean that whatever company I buy it from wouldn't either need to work so hard to subsidize the cost which means I could pay less per month or the cost for the device itself would be less.

I just basically need a phone to talk on, sends texts and check email and my calendar from time to time. I don't give a crap about editing video or pictures on a phone or FaceTime.

Lastly, I really do think Apple has reached a saturation point as far as the kind of customers it's going to reach with the current iPhone. Will it gain more, of course. Kids will grow up and get them and beyond that others will choose to move from Android to Apple and people will upgrade their phones but the kind of exponential growth from the previous years are not as likely. As a company, you never want to become stagnant as far as your growth. Once you begin to lose momentum you become stagnant and that eventually leads to death unless you can miraculously turn it around.(And trust me, you need a Steve Jobs type person to pull that off)

By the way, I'm not an Apple hater. I love Apple. I have an iPad mini and a Macbook Air and an Apple TV and iPod. I want to see Apple continue to have exponential growth.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

They'll also release Apple brand nail polish and lipstick to match those colors. Those phones scream teenagers!

• Reply 35 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I would buy the cheaper iPhone. I don't own one now only because I have no need for an expensive data plan because literally everywhere I go has wifi.

You're not the market for the "cheaper iPhone", and you probably don't even live in a country where it would be offered, even if it did exist.
    By the way, I'm not an Apple hater. I love Apple. I have an iPad mini and a Macbook Air and an Apple TV and iPod.

Blah blah blah.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Gold, really? Pimp / dealer / MLB version?
  • Reply 37 of 66
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    poksi wrote: »
    I'm actually amazed, how many people still don't understand that. Apple did this before with iPod and much sooner than they will with iPhones. While I might somehow understand that bigger screen iPhone was barely an option due to too big performance tradeoffs when trying to make it instantly compatible with screen resolution schema, I cannot understand why the hell did they wait for so long with lower cost iPhone....

They started only when all the statistic numbers starting to wind down strongly, thus showing to the world weaknesses and bad judgements. Having released iPhone Cheaper before, at least one year ago, market share cut in premium range and total would be easily compensated with mid-range and growing number of users as a "software company" as they claim to be...

This was and is plain and simple business cock up, especially when considering what a crap is any Android phone below premium range. Apple cannot do something shitty like that even intentionally...

iPhone market is not identical to iPod market. The differentiation amongst Shuffle, Nano, Touch and Classic cannot be duplicated with phones unless Apple wants to make a feature phone. The failure to understand that you're yelling about is entirely yours.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    gazoobee wrote: »

Everything will be fine too if they don't.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're not the market for the "cheaper iPhone", and you probably don't even live in a country where it would be offered, even if it did exist.

Blah blah blah.

Apparently that country has people who can afford iPads, Macbook Airs and so on.

Except for the tiniest parts of sub-Saharan africa there is no part on earth where mobile phones do not sell.

• Reply 40 of 66
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

iPhone market is not identical to iPod market. The differentiation amongst Shuffle, Nano, Touch and Classic cannot be duplicated with phones unless Apple wants to make a feature phone. The failure to understand that you're yelling about is entirely yours.

The point is there is a cheap alternative, like the iPod touch.

At this point the anti-Cheap iPhone brigade - a thing I never understood anyway ( why would Apple fans want them to sell fewer phones?) - should lick their wounds and shy away from debates. We will only take a little bit of the piss.