Reuters: Apple mulling $99 multi-color and larger-screened iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    freerange wrote: »
    Totally wrong - they are doing extremely well here in Asia where they tend to be ones primary computing device so the larger screen is more desirable. The whole world does not revolve around the narrow and uninformed views of the US.

An American living in China....

No reason to insult anybody, but your point is well taken. I have noticed the same. Many Asian people I know visiting for school use the phone as their computer. Asia is a big market. If Apple wants to take market share there it needs a bigger phone.
  • Reply 22 of 46

I'm eager to see the multi-color iPhones.  And the spin-off advertising, "comes in colors" akin to the old colorful iMac ads of a decade ago.  (Remember the iBrator ad parody?  LOL)  Still, a flower-power iPhone would be so cool!  

'course you can get the same effect with colorful cases today.

• Reply 23 of 46
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    drblank wrote: »
    I think Apple should do a phone that's no bigger than 4.8 inch. All of the signs towards a 5 inch phone seems to be a very small market. The S4, from what I understand isn't doing so well and the other 5 inch phones probably aren't either.

I totally agree, but not because of sales. My S4 is just slightly too big, requiring two hands a lot of the time, and with huge fonts in many cases that reduce the advantage of the 5" screen. I think 4.75 - 4.8 is the sweet spot.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... According to Reuters ... Apple's plans ... a number of iPhone models for 2014, such as a $99 version, 4.7-inch and 5.7 iterations ...

A 5.7" "iPhone" would make no sense at all, unless it could run iPad software, in which case it wouldn't be an "iPhone."  If there was a six inch iPhone it seems to me that the first thing people would want is to run iPad apps on it. 

People forget that iOS is different from Android in that key way.  They have two device size categories.  They can't just pick a screen size willy-nilly like Android manufacturers.  It has to make sense in regards their two device strategy as well.  

• Reply 25 of 46
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple will never make a $99 off contract phone. It doesn't make any financial sense (or cents).
  • Reply 26 of 46
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jfanning wrote: »
    other companies can make profit on phones at this price point, why can't Apple?

Really? Who? Apple cares about quality. Quality isnt cheap. Most other companies don't.
    chas42va wrote: »
    It's about time that we have a larger iPhone.
    Consumers have indicated they want a larger iPhone as demonstrated by the S3 S4 sales. Once Apple creates a larger iPhone it will return to its stock price glory of 6 mos ago.

I'm not saying there isn't demand and I do believe a 5" iPhone is in the works, but the "smaller" iPhone is still #1 and possible #2.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Let's hope any increase in screen size is not limited to the height or we'll have an extremely long and narrow phone!
  • Reply 28 of 46
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    The idea that Apple gives a damn what Samsung is doing is asinine. That goes against everything Apple believes, and everything it's ever done. Look at the history- when Microsoft was "winning" by licensing the OS, Apple didn't do it, except for a brief period when the idiots were in charge.

Apple's going to do what it thinks will make the best product.

Also, samsung's big-screen "phones" and "phablets" don't' really sell that well. Samsung sells a lot of devices-- allegedly, we don't have any actual sales numbers-- but it makes that volume by combining hundreds of variations of devices. Apple sells exactly 1 Phone right now.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Colours.

Sure.

:)

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member

Let's hope this bigger iPhone is out this September. My time for device renewal is then. I don't want to have to jump to an HTC One just because I want a bigger screen.

• Reply 31 of 46
    Larger screens?

Sure.

4.7 and 5.7.

(Keep the 4.0 as the 'Nano iPhone') and they've got all bases covered.

I'm not ancient by any standards...but browsing on my iPhone 5 gives me eyestrain after a while.

It's crying out for that extra inch, baby...or two... :P

It's not going to hurt Apple if they do.

Remove the oxygen from Samesung's throat.

Can't wait. Bigger is coming. It's inevitable...as the iPad mini was... ;)

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    drblank wrote: »
    I think Apple should do a phone that's no bigger than 4.8 inch.

So you missed the WWDC keynote, then?
    chas42va wrote: »
    It's about time that we have a larger iPhone. Consumers have indicated they want a larger iPhone as demonstrated by the S3 S4 sales. Once Apple creates a larger iPhone it will return to its stock price glory of 6 mos ago.

Abject nonsense.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

Let's hope this bigger iPhone is out this September. My time for device renewal is then. I don't want to have to jump to an HTC One just because I want a bigger screen.

I just bought an HTC One recently since I was tired of dealing with tiny screens. I used my phone more often at home than a tablet or laptop, so a larger screen made sense. A full 1080p display is beautiful on a phone.

I am doubting we will see Apple make the jump to any higher resolutions or larger screens on their phones this year since the iPhone 5 finally bumped up the size from 3.5" to 4". Apple tends to be slow but steady. Also, the purportedly leaked 2013 iPhone parts seem to indicate the new iPhone will be an incremental upgrade.

• Reply 34 of 46
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    The only reason I moved to an S4 is the larger size screen.  I'd move back if Apple created a bigger screen.  They should also consider a removable battery. 
    Although I'm perfectly fine with a smaller screen, I agree it's time for Apple to offer a bigger screen as another choice. They've got the money, the resources, and the market is so competitive now they'd be foolish not to lure back those who have switched to Samsung. It just makes sense. Who knows, I might even decide to go bigger if it happens.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member
    I must have watched a different keynote this past week. I thought there were several mentions to Apple not caring about market share, but rather user experience?
  • Reply 36 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I must have watched a different keynote this past week. I thought there were several mentions to Apple not caring about market share, but rather user experience?

I'm not suggesting Apple won't release new iterations if they feel they meet market usability such as the different iPods that were designed for different usages, not to achieve different price points. But to release a cheap phone to gain market share, Apple clearly several times spoke against this concept. 

• Reply 37 of 46

Quote:

I'm not suggesting Apple won't release new iterations if they feel they meet market usability such as the different iPods that were designed for different usages, not to achieve different price points. But to release a cheap phone to gain market share, Apple clearly several times spoke against this concept. 

What would be removed from the iPhone to make it cheaper? What would the iPhone 4s become? As I agree, if anything, the 4s would become the entry phone. But look at Apple's entry notebook, the MBA and entry computer the Mac Mini, both all aluminum. 

If anything, they will follow the iPod Touch redesign and remove a camera, possibly items like Gyro and Compass. 

• Reply 38 of 46

Quote:

What would be removed from the iPhone to make it cheaper? What would the iPhone 4s become? As I agree, if anything, the 4s would become the entry phone. But look at Apple's entry notebook, the MBA and entry computer the Mac Mini, both all aluminum. 

If anything, they will follow the iPod Touch redesign and remove a camera, possibly items like Gyro and Compass. 

I'm thinking iPod touch with 16GB storage at $399 for the new iPhone {something} and the iPhone 5 will be renamed simply iPhone? 

• Reply 39 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    ...the iPhone 5 will be renamed simply iPhone?

I think that's a little much to hope for. :p ;)
  • Reply 40 of 46
    I'm excited to hear about a 4.7 or 4.8" 1080p iPhone. I hope they release it this year, as I'm due for a refresh but won't buy another "mini" phone.

BTW, bigger phone means more space for a bigger battery. Assuming the display isn't on all the time, it would mean a major increase in battery life, too! :)