Why the Mac Finder took so long to get the new Tabs in OS X Mavericks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Here's why it took so long: Not enough people really wanted it. Otherwise Apple would have done it.

The people clamoring for tabs were a minuscule minority, is all.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    Did anyone notice that no where in the article did the author answer the question the title seems to ask? I mistakenly thought it had some information about WHY it took so long to get the tabs in the Finder.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    eluard wrote: »
    Do you have even a shred of evidence that that is so? I thought not.

In all fairness, the article gave no evidence or citations for its claims WRT delays on tabs.

initiator wrote: »
    Can we please, please, please, all just agree among ourselves to refer to the new OS as simply 10.9? OS X Mavericks is completely ridiculous. Worst name ever. Every time I see OS X Mavericks, I do a mental substitution for 10.9.

I'm not fond of the name either.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Shorter answer:  most people don't really want tabs in Finder. 

This is more or less proven by the existence of excellent quality Finder replacements that use tabs, that have been around for years, and that have only achieved a small niche status.  

It's a geek feature that the average user won't use or care about.

• Reply 25 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Okay, but this article doesn't explain what the title of the article promises: WHY did it take so long? Why don't I give you the answer why: Because Steve Jobs didn't want a tabbed Finder. Now that he is sadly no longer with us, the engineers at Apple are able to start doing a lot of the advanced stuff which Jobs nixed in the past.

And Steve Jobs was right.  

OS X is a consumer operating system and as such it doesn't (or didn't) need geeky features like Finder tabs.  Now iOS is the "consumer" OS, it finally makes sense to geek out a bit more on OS X.  

This whole release comes across to me as an attempt to ameliorate the criticism they have been getting from so-called "pro" users that OS X is no longer serious enough by adding in a few long held "wants" form that crowd.  If OS X was designed the way you wanted it years ago, it would never have taken off as a consumer OS and would have remained something similar to NeXT with a tiny niche market of Unix geeks.  

The sad thing to me is that everything about OS X 10.9 and iOS 7.0 seems targeted towards ameliorating criticism of one kind of another.  AT least this year, Apple has seemingly shifted away from doing what they think is right, towards "fixing" what their critics think is wrong.  IMO this is bad news if it continues.  

• Reply 26 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by initiator View Post

Can we please, please, please, all just agree among ourselves to refer to the new OS as simply 10.9? OS X Mavericks is completely ridiculous. Worst name ever. Every time I see OS X Mavericks, I do a mental substitution for 10.9.

plus a million internet points.  

I have already made this decision myself before I read your post and will *never* use "that name."  I find it idiotic at best, but occasionally it elevates itself to the level of irritating or even offensive.    

• Reply 27 of 67
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Makes me want to buy a thunderbolt display for my iMac, just to try the new multi monitor setup. I'm trying to imaging this on a new Mac Pro + dual 4K displays. Splooge.

• Reply 28 of 67
    Rewrite the article and explain why it took so long to get tabs. TotalFinder implemented a long time ago without access to the source code.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    This article doesn't answer the headline:
    "Why the Mac Finder took so long to get the new Tabs in OS X Mavericks".

I kept on reading to get to a point where the answer why things were taking so long was answered but then it ended.

As always with AI, a lot is written but not much is being said.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    And Steve Jobs was right.  

OS X is a consumer operating system and as such it doesn't (or didn't) need geeky features like Finder tabs.  Now iOS is the "consumer" OS, it finally makes sense to geek out a bit more on OS X.  

I get your point but I don't agree; most of the 10.9 features (not using the name!) are making the operating system better behind the hood. It's absolutely a great thing to see they are not adding too much crap this time and instead focus on memory usage etc.

Further tabs are not intrusive to the consumer user. They can simply not use it. It's not a thing they need to worry about unless they choose to add a tab. It's all about exposing the power things at the right time.

Another confusing thing was the terrible multi monitor support. I think the new concept is much better to grasp by all types of users.

Lastly I am not sure if Steve Jobs was 100% right. Yes it's a consumer OS, but we got iOS now to cover 'our moms and dads'.

Things like the launch pad and 3D dock are meant to be for 'consumers' but that is where apple loses me: launch pad is just another (inferior and redundant) way of opening and managing too many icons, a 3D dock should be attractive but is merely visual clutter opposed to the (hidden) 2D one.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    tsun zutsun zu Posts: 72member

"Boss, it took me two days to print this memo because I had to understand how our office network works, how printers are connected, and I found the best way to give print command from my PC/Mac."

This article sounds like an incompetent effort to justify the delay of a project which took triple the time needed.

Several other smaller third party software added tab option to Finder years ago. Other than the much touted Multi Display support, there was no other point why Apple fails to do what others did so easily.

• Reply 32 of 67
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bOMBfACTORY View Post

All I want is auto-right-size-columns in column view. It's so freaking stupid that this hasn't happened yet!

Oh no kidding. I love it when an OS X folder reveals to me "Ethernet i...onous.txt," because I'm pretty sure that's the file I was lookin' for. I'm not 100% sure but it's still damned exciting to have finally found it anyway.

Auto-sizing of columns to accommodate what's being viewed (well, we're all trying to view it) should have happened 10.2 or 10.3. A Panther thing probably. Years later would be better than nuthin' tho...

• Reply 33 of 67
    iwansiwans Posts: 3member

You can have it now... Just install small utility XtraFinder <http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/>. If you dive into the preferences, you can have your columns resized automaticly, you can also have tabs, dual panel, dual windows, etc. All for free, today and in the Finder, no 3rd party utility. Enjoy. I use it now for more then year.

• Reply 34 of 67
    berenzberenz Posts: 5member
    I thought the improvements to OS X were superb and better than the mismatch of changes in iOS.

Number 1 thing on my wish list that hasn't been dealt with? ZFS. This was rumoured some time ago then disappeared when Oracle bought Sun.

Number 2: better Finder copying controls. Years ago under System 7 there was a Finder replacement called Speedy Finder which allowed you to serialise copies (ie start multiple copies running at the same time but get them to queue so only one copy was done at a time and when that one finished, the next one started), reorder them and pause them. Also, I'd love to see much smarter merging, replacing, conditional skipping, etc when copying files where there are duplicate names. Tools like rsync are great but having some of these options in the Finder would be far better than the other GUI 3rd party tools currently available.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    After I've upgraded to 10.9 I'll delete TidyWindow (MAS app, free) which is serving me well now.

sip wrote: »
    I loved some of Finder features in OS9 which disappeared in OSX.

Option+double click on a folder closed one window and opened a new one -- you can do this in OSX but the new listing opens in the same window, and retains the size of the parent window.

With multiple windows open in OS9, Option-clicking on the now green traffic light resized every window according to number of files within each -- doesn't quite work in OSX. In fact, resizing windows in OSX limits the size (length) of each window and forces scrolling -- methinks this was designed around the 13" laptop screen but is cumbersome on a larger display.

Can anyone remember being able to park Finder windows at the bottom of the screen in OS9?

Sometimes it is best not to mess with some of the more useful and distinguishing features of an OS, which is why I avoided WinPCs all my computing life.

MacOS Finder was indeed great! Never was 'fond' of Windows Explorer, but there were many add-ons available for it. Or easily tweaked in that awful Registry. I really loved the NeXTSTEP implementation. That was so ahead of its time, similar to the iPhone in 2007.
  • Reply 36 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Okay, but this article doesn't explain what the title of the article promises: WHY did it take so long? Why don't I give you the answer why: Because Steve Jobs didn't want a tabbed Finder. Now that he is sadly no longer with us, the engineers at Apple are able to start doing a lot of the advanced stuff which Jobs nixed in the past.

I think Jobs had some other vision of how he wanted Finder to work, and it just couldn't be done. If you look at Finder under Mountain Lion and FInder on the Mac Plus (late '80s) it hasn't changed much in all that time. And even back then there was pressure to make Finder more intuitive and useful. This has been decades in coming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitewing98 View Post

I quit using multiple displays because it was so wonky, so I'm stoked for the new display handling. 

Yeah, I can't figure why multiple displays were so messed up during all of OSX. I had multiple displays running fine on my old MacII. Each display had its own video card and I could operate them pretty independently and move documents and applications between the screens. Meanwhile, doing this on a WIndows computer was impossible. Then Windows gained the ability while Macs got wonky. 

• Reply 37 of 67
    Doesn't really explain why it took so long.
    The headline should have been "Appleinsider parrots apple's talking points"
  • Reply 38 of 67
    bledubledu Posts: 1member
    Just an idea to answer the question in the title of this article : could be because the Finder was still Carbon frameworks app until Lion, but Finder has been rewrote in Xcode Cocoa framewoeks for Mountain Lion. That could make some important technology difference as other part of the OS were already in Cocoa ?
  • Reply 39 of 67
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    dgnr8 wrote: »
    Don't care how long it took (in the past nothing can be done about that now) just freaking geeked to be getting it.

Spaces and Tab Finder have been the top 2 items on my wish list since the early versions of OS X.

Third on my list was independent displays (No Primary Monitor).

I think I can be very happy with 10.8 for a long while.

I hope Mr. Jobs got a chance to see 10.8 because his NeXT OS rocks.

This is the way Linux should have always been, Yeah I Talking To You REDHAT!

Linux has had independent desktops and a tabbed file explorer for a while now. What exactly do you need in Redhat, I use CentOS so if you ever need help adding a feature or making the desktop more user friendly I'll be more then happy to help.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Here's why it took so long: Not enough people really wanted it. Otherwise Apple would have done it.

The people clamoring for tabs were a minuscule minority, is all.

I got around to watching the keynote shortly after I read this. It's funny that the *first* new feature they discussed with 10.9 was Finder Tabs. I realize the keynote is for developers, but the show is available for anyone to watch. That raises the question, if it's a niche feature, why'd they start off with it? I'd think they'd start with a bang and put the weaker features in the middle of the presentation.