Apple working with Logitech and Moga for MFi game controllers, details framework at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member

This is very exciting, and it's all coming in the autumn, both new controllers and new games. How fun!!

What will be interesting to see is whether this might lead to, or is part of, a plan to put apps on the ATV. Apple could rely on AirPlay Mirroring only for games on the ATV, and therefore the need for games on the ATV doesn't provide any additional reason to put apps on the ATV. I could see this I suppose, but I'd prefer to see apps on the ATV, games of course being a big part of that.

• Reply 22 of 72
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    nagromme wrote:
    One of the reasons I game on Mac is the excellent shareware ControllerMate. I don't believe anything like it exists on Windows!

There are a couple of Windows equivalents for controllers:

http://www.xpadder.com
    http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com

ControllerMate is really good software though and does more than controller mapping.
    nagromme wrote:
    I do wish my RumblePad had force feedback support on OS X though.

The 360 controller does, it looks like Logitech decided to stop supporting it:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3539326?start=0&tstart=0

Maybe with this renewed interest in controllers, they'll add support back in. It would be nice to see the Logitech prototype.
    I prefer 108 buttons to 8, for example.

A controller can get limiting with some games but there are advantages like having analog directional controls. w,a,s,d is digital and needs 4 fingers + 3 modifiers for walk/run/crouch. A clickable stick can do it with one thumb - you can move forward gently to walk, forward further to run, click to crouch. Also, because it's analog, you get a smoother movement when you move and look at the same time - it helps when driving quite a lot as it's not full left or right where you get into a tap-fest, you can do a gradual left/right. With digital, you can only move characters 8 fixed directions while the camera is focused on something.

Controllers really help when developers have set out a predefined mapping because you don't have to go through the tedious routine of setting up every game and in-game instructions and quicktime events are easier that way too. Quicktime events are horrible with custom keys, it's like "Press 'k' in the next 2 seconds or you're going to die and start over!' and you panic and wonder why it's asking for 'k' but you look down for it and hit it but when you look back up... dead. With a standard controller, it's just a color or button you're accustomed to.

I'm not a fan of force feedback but in certain games, you get vibration to tell when you are close to unlocking things, which would be difficult to indicate otherwise.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Apple needs to do something with iOS to make it just as good or better than Android. I don't know if this is the truth or not but nearly everyone in the mobile industry claims that Android OS is superior to iOS based on openness and the sheer number of features Android contains.

That is the funniest statement I have read in months.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    bobringer wrote: »
    Goodbye Nintendo... it was a good century. Once Apple flips the switch on an App Store for my TV... and these controllers are released... it's game over for Nintendo.

Nintendo?

In my opinion, Microsoft and Sony are on notice as well.

For the first time ever a major game franchise, Deus Ex, was announced for release first on iOS at E3. The graphics are equivalent to the original Xbox suggesting that iOS games are beginning to "catch up." While the Xbox One and Playstation 4 may do well, this may be the last generation of game consoles which may explain Microsoft's curve ball Xbox One better than any other theory.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't know why. I've had me some consoles in my time, but mouse+keyboard are leagues better than any of them. I prefer 108 buttons to 8, for example.

C'mon, not this silly talk again :p 

play a car game with a keyboard, have fun with that :p play street fighter 4 or tekken enjoy.

personally when playing FPSers, keyboard & mouse is the way to go, it is so so with a controller.

if the gaming community thinks a controller is a good idea, then it is a good idea. 

• Reply 26 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    zozman wrote: »
    play a car game with a keyboard, have fun with that :p

I do. It's more capable with mouse and keyboard.

I left the emoticon because of the foolishness of the derision.
    play street fighter 4 or tekken enjoy.

It's exactly like an arcade. I fail to see how a controller somehow does anything that a keyboard cannot.
    if the gaming community thinks a controller is a good idea, then it is a good idea. 

The gaming community plays on computers, mainly...
  • Reply 27 of 72

Quote:

I do. It's more capable with mouse and keyboard.

Enjoy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's exactly like an arcade. I fail to see how a controller somehow does anything that a keyboard cannot.

It is exactly like no arcade out there, maybe an internet cafe (if they are still around) The competitive street fighter & tekken players use joysticks, if they don't use joysticks they use control pads, no one uses keyboard (in the pro comps) & for the most part casual player even use joysticks or controllers.

Go to a fighting game forum, just mention your idea, then step back, they will go to town, I seriously doubt that even 1% of the community play on keyboard & less would think it is any good.

my brother was Australian champ 2 or 3 times (at street fighter 2 & he is a top SF4 player), sadly i know too much about the game image

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The gaming community plays on computers, mainly...

No...no they don't...

don't tell a gamer how the world of gaming works, it is silly.

PC gamers play on PC, console gamers play on console, a real gamer uses all of them, or at least as many as they can.

It's funny replying to what you said, it almost doesn't seem real, feels like I'm being trolled, this can't be real, do you seriously believe that? & do you seriously believe that is the way it is?, you seem like a pretty bright person, I'm not being a dick, it is just way off that's all.

• Reply 28 of 72
    [quote name="Zozman" url="/t/158036/apple-working-with-logitech-and-moga-for-mfi-game-controllers-details-framework-at-wwdc#post_2346054"]PC gamers play on PC, console gamers play on console...[/QUOTE]

[I]*sigh*[/I] And guess what the ratios are, leading me to my comment... :rolleyes:

[QUOTE]...real gamer...[/QUOTE]

Delusion, by the way. Using phrases like this can only hurt your arguments.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

And just think about the graphic power of the next iPhone (also iPod Touch and Apple TV). :drools:

And of course, real physical games per ONKI also.

Suddenly, Apple is a major game platform company. Genius.

• Reply 31 of 72
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spear View Post

How is it that you can publish this information. As far as I know, all developers signed an NDA regarding the SDK, and the WWDC sessions and presentations are not supposed to be published. If you tell me that Apple gave you permission to break the NDA then I will accept.

Apple doesn't historically enforce the NDA regarding the WWDC, if they did their legal teams would be extremely busy from June every year. In any case I doubt that courts would agree with enforcement of NDAs where the company has already broadcast live some information about an API - as Apple did with this very topic on Monday when Craig either mentioned it, or it was in the slides.( I didn't watch the keynote but I have seen the stills. )

See here.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/12/upcoming-ios-7-apis-gaming-improvements-multitasking-support-airdrop-and-more/

As to why the keep the NDA? They don't want people dissing a beta product, but they are comfortable enough with discussions. Hence no legal action, ever.

• Reply 32 of 72

Quote:

*sigh* And guess what the ratios are, leading me to my comment... image

Delusion, by the way. Using phrases like this can only hurt your arguments.

You don't understand...there is no argument...image

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Eo9kJ.png

That is so cool :) i'll stare at it for a while, the thing it can't factor in is, the people that play on all systems (well most).

I think the controller should do well, only time will tell.

• Reply 33 of 72
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax 

[gorgeous, interesting charts]

These two charts are fantastic, thanks for posting them.

What I don't understand about the top chart is that when I look at which games are out there, which games get priority places in stores, which games are promoted way, way, way, way more than any others are such a small percentage of the overall games one's label isn't even visible (FPS) - that just doesn't seem to reflect what I see, and genres like Sports and Fighting are on the decline. I don't doubt the chart, it just seems strange that the games that get nearly universal promotion and coverage are all in decline - I suppose perhaps this isn't reflecting the revenue of these games, perhaps??

Good charts, though, really interesting information in them both. Again, thanks TimmyDax!

• Reply 34 of 72
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    ahh, that chart is fantastic. And sooo many great memories of consoles gone by the by.

How come the pippin doesn't feature? ;)
  • Reply 35 of 72
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

OMG!   This could be link to the upcoming Apple TV apps and TV box or TV set. Maybe Apple didnt introduce an Apple TV app store at the WWDC because there is no need to.  When the TV launches, it will support all the iphone apps (16x9 ratio) right from the start. All it needs to do so is a game controller and an all round multi-touch controller. They could introduce the TV App stores only at launch since there will already be so many apps on it.

Been a while since I was exited over something Apple is doing.

• Reply 36 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

image...

wow, thanks for sharing this, very interesting stats.

The mobile revolution has really push puzzle games up.

• Reply 37 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I find it hard to believe they'd let a third party handle their controller for the Apple TV.

imo this is to adress the Apple TV game side of it.  Apple will probably release some kind of all around controller (remote).

• Reply 38 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

This is very exciting, and it's all coming in the autumn, both new controllers and new games. How fun!!

What will be interesting to see is whether this might lead to, or is part of, a plan to put apps on the ATV. Apple could rely on AirPlay Mirroring only for games on the ATV, and therefore the need for games on the ATV doesn't provide any additional reason to put apps on the ATV. I could see this I suppose, but I'd prefer to see apps on the ATV, games of course being a big part of that.

Airplay is just horrible for ATV gaming.  It gliches too much. Not to mention you are pretty much in a microwave oven when doing it.

• Reply 39 of 72
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Cool charts! What's the source? What group is being surveyed?

A couple interesting things jump out at me if they're accurate:

• Neat how all the genres are pretty balanced--nothing dominates.

• Mac native gaming just about matches all browser-based gaming combined--which includes Facebook? That strikes me as odd.

• iPad gaming share is shrinking (a bit) even while iPad sales are skyrocketing, other tablets aren't, and console sales are hurting? Also odd.

• Android isn't shown--and it surely has a visible slice of the pie.

• iPod Touch isn't shown (could be lumped in with iPhone?). I'm curious about how people use those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There are a couple of Windows equivalents for controllers:

http://www.xpadder.com

http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com

ControllerMate is really good software though and does more than controller mapping.

Those look useful (especially Game Profiler), but still nowhere near the power and flexibility of Mac-only ControllerMate.

(I never heard of Logitech supporting force feedback on OS X... been waiting for years, and must have missed it if they ever did! I got the feeling it was OS X's lack rather than Logitech's? I forget.)

Here's just about 1/6 of the flowchart (mostly D-pad-related) for my highly-personalized Quake Wars setup. (This accompanies additional per-vehicle customization done in Quake Wars' own config.) I'm particularly proud of assigning down on the hatswitch to be W (forward). Normally I use the analog stick for all movement, and I set a threshold where the stick automatically adds shift for Run when I push it far enough. And normally I run everywhere. But when I want to be stealthy and silent, and don't want to accidentally push the stick too far, I just move my thumb a centimeter up and hold the bottom of the D-pad for a "safe walk" than won't accidentally run.

Most of the other D-pad stuff (green logic) has to do with team communications. Some custom text macros combined with the game's built in audio snippets, etc.

(I also use ControllerMate for other things, like customizing my Razer for Photoshop and making my RumblePad 2 be my media remote when watching movies on Hulu/iTunes/etc.)

• Reply 40 of 72
    zozman wrote: »
    You don't understand...there is no argument...;)

That's right; the charts show that PC gaming outstrips console gaming.
    herbapou wrote: »
    Not to mention you are pretty much in a microwave oven when doing it.

Please do not tell me you actually believe this.