Apple's OS X Mavericks hints at future Retina Thunderbolt Displays and iMacs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    andysol wrote: »
    I'm holding onto my 2010 BTO i7 iMac until it doesn't run the current operating system, or a retina iMac is released- whichever comes first.  :)  I would be thrilled if it happened this year, but I highly doubt it.  2014 seems more believable.  It will be very interesting to see how this year's iMac is refreshed without Retina.  Curious if fusion becomes standard (that would be awesome).

At the rate they are improving SSDs, fusion may very well be outdated. Look at the new Airs to see how far they have come.
  • Reply 42 of 66
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The 4K seems to make sense for HDTV devices connected via AppleTV and Airplay to have such a large wallpaper, or multiple displays [3 across] to have one contiguous wallpaper split across 3 views.

No it doesn't the current Apple TV couldn't drive a 4K display. Of course that doesn't mean an update isn't around the corner.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

I don't think OSX is going away for a while. Next year we will probably get OS 10.10. I don't like the name either so I will probably just refer to it as OS 10.9 when I need to specify which OS I am running. I've actually been referring to mountain lion as 10.8 for a while now (although I am already missing the big cat names).

Since whenever I check an "About This Mac" what pops up is the number and not the cutesy name I'd rather all tecnical discussions use the number, over time which cat went with which number get's blurry. Okay maybe I need to turn in my nerd card with that admission, but there it is.

• Reply 44 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Wouldn't a 5,120 x 2,880 display be correctly termed a 5K display (since apparently we can't go by the vertical pixel count after 1080p)?

4K is double 1080p in both the horizontal and vertical dimensions = 3840 × 2160.

The image in the article is greater than 4K by quite a bit. That is similar to my 30" cinema which is greater than 1080p. Apple displays are always higher resolution than an equivalent size TV.

Now it is all about doubling with each upgrade so if you don't have the drivers or hardware capacity there is no interpolation necessary, it just halves everything to help maintain the color accuracy and sharpness. Next step for TV will be 8K.

• Reply 45 of 66
    I was viewing the keynote when the Mac Pro was introduced, and they actually mentioned that you could hook up your third party 4K display, which implies Apple doesn't plan on introducing one :(.

I'd definitely love to see a Retina 27" iMac, although I'm really tempted by the new Mac Pro. Depending on how expensive it is in combination with whatever 4K display makes the most sense ...

D
  • Reply 46 of 66
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post

I was viewing the keynote when the Mac Pro was introduced, and they actually mentioned that you could hook up your third party 4K display, which implies Apple doesn't plan on introducing one image.

I'd definitely love to see a Retina 27" iMac, although I'm really tempted by the new Mac Pro. Depending on how expensive it is in combination with whatever 4K display makes the most sense ...

D

Of course they said that; they may have been doing a Technology Preview of the new Mac Pro, but they did not want to show their entire hand by revealing that they were working on a 4K display to go with the new Mac Pro.

I would bet Apple has a 4K display in the works, a Thunderbolt 2 Display with all the extras that the current Thunderbolt Display has, and it will be black to match the new Mac Pro…

• Reply 47 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post

…they actually mentioned that you could hook up your third party 4K display, which implies Apple doesn't plan on introducing one image.

No, they said it because they don't have one…

• Reply 48 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, they said it because they don't have one…

I would go with don't have one YET…

But can you really see Apple making such a revolutionary flagship product without the appropriate 4K Apple-branded display to go with it…?!?

I'll have a fully-loaded Mac Pro, 2 of the 4K Thunderbolt 2 Displays & a 24HD touch Cintiq, thanks…!

• Reply 49 of 66

Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

But can you really see Apple making such a revolutionary flagship product without the appropriate 4K Apple-branded display to go with it…?!?

I certainly buy that.

Hmm… I wonder if Apple would do a 27" Retina Thunderbolt Display before they did a 21.5" or 11"… 

• Reply 50 of 66
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member

Hint:  if you have to explain a product name that relies on a reference to a relatively unknown locale...it sucks.

Most people haven't seen the movie "Mavericks".  Most people have no idea that it's a name for a surfing area.  For most people the name conjures the image of McCain/Palin, then laughter and not the good kind.

I feel like a fool saying the name in anything but a derogatory tone, and I'm not alone.  It's a not a big deal, but it's the sort of detail that Jobs or anyone with good marketing sense would have caught.

• Reply 51 of 66
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Hint:  if you have to explain a product name that relies on a reference to a relatively unknown locale...it sucks.

Most people haven't seen the movie "Mavericks".  Most people have no idea that it's a name for a surfing area.  For most people the name conjures the image of McCain/Palin, then laughter and not the good kind.

Here's what I think of:

[VIDEO]

I don't like how Mavericks is plural when it's used for a single product so it will be Maverick to me.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 52 of 66
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Hopefully with a model of 24-inch Apple Thunderbolt display with USB 3.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Here's what I think of:

Heheheh!

Somebody has too much free time.

Whatever the name, it looks to be a decent update.  Particularly the multiple screens.

• Reply 54 of 66
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    appex wrote: »
    Hopefully with a model of 24-inch Apple Thunderbolt display with USB 3.

Huh? Why USB3 on the display when it has TB? That'll increase the price while the computer already has USB3. This makes no sense.
  • Reply 55 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Huh? Why USB3 on the display when it has TB? That'll increase the price while the computer already has USB3. This makes no sense.

Because, just like the current Thunderbolt Display, it would also be a docking station for Apple laptops…

You hook all your stay-at-home peripherals )printers, scanners, external drives, whatever…) to the Thunderbolt Display and just plug in one TB cable to the laptop…

• Reply 56 of 66
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    macronin wrote: »
    Because, just like the current Thunderbolt Display, it would also be a docking station for Apple laptops…

You hook all your stay-at-home peripherals )printers, scanners, external drives, whatever…) to the Thunderbolt Display and just plug in one TB cable to the laptop…

Ah, ok, laptops. Totally forgot that setup. Gotcha; good point.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Is there any evidence to suggest that 4k displays are in for a sudden and substantial drop in price? If not, it's hard to see Apple being competitive in this category, since their monitors tend to be high-quality and expensive.

The cheapest I could find were over $4,000. Hard to see Apple coming in at less.

Oh, and can we lay the OS XI debate to rest? OS X will have a successor at some point, obviously, but it will not be called "OS XI"... There's simply no chance of that happening.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    jouster wrote: »
    Is there any evidence to suggest that 4k displays are in for a sudden and substantial drop in price?

The recent surge in forced popularity of the format.
    ...it will not be called "OS XI"... There's simply no chance of that happening.

Wanna bet? Particularly since every version of the Mac operating system has been numbered and 11 comes after 10? :p

Though, really, if it's what I expect it to be, it could very well NOT be called that. Simply because no computer in the Macintosh line will be able to run the software.
  • Reply 59 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wanna bet? Particularly since every version of the Mac operating system has been numbered and 11 comes after 10? image

Though, really, if it's what I expect it to be, it could very well NOT be called that. Simply because no computer in the Macintosh line will be able to run the software.

Elaborate, please…!

• Reply 60 of 66
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    It would have to be a heck of a surge to get 4k monitors down to the price of current ones, which was what I meant by "substantial".

Of course, XI comes after X, but there's that whole Spinal Tap thing.... Whatever - sure, I'll bet you a six pack of beer :-) shipping not included ;-)

Wait, did you add the last part? I didn't see it at first. So, what do you expect it to be?