Teardown of Apple's new AirPort Extreme finds enough empty space for a hard drive

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Not to speak for the other person, but to me, it's irritating because it's like giving a "repairability score" on a Toaster or a Video tape recorder.  It's "scoring" something that's entirely irrelevant to the device.  It's like giving a car bad marks in a review for having an automatic transmission because of some misguided old-fashioned idea that only manual transmissions are what people want.  

The iFixit site looks at how easy something is to tear down or repair. This has nothing to with the device but everything to do with the purpose of the site. In fact, to have a high repairability score does say something about the design and build quality of the device that is somewhat relevant. 

• Reply 62 of 70
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I would love to custom fit 2x 2.5" 2TB HDD inside with Raid 1 as an NAS.  In fact do time capsule offer this function? Or could it only be used as an backup server?

No, the TC acts as a normal NAS, where just one folder contains the sparse bundle disk image files on which the the whole backup data is stored. It is just specifically tuned and designed to reduce the risk of something going wrong with the backup as network connections are not as robust a FW/USB/TB connection.

• Reply 63 of 70
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

they are compatible with all 802.11 devices but only the 2013 MBA takes advantage of the higher speed.

Only the 2013 MBA takes advantage of 802.11ac but my 2012 MBP(r) obtains 33% better LAN throughput with the new Extreme as compared to the previous generation Extreme, using 802.11n (2.4 GHz) over a distance of ~30 ft. and two floors.

• Reply 64 of 70
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
  • Reply 65 of 70
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Look at the heat sinks and the maximum operating temp spec. It looks like this generation operates hot.
    wiggin wrote: »
    It's very un-Apple to have that much empty space. Apple prides itself on making things as small/thin as possible purely for asthetic reasons. And yes, Apple does want people to admire the looks of their products, even a wi-fi router.

As for comments about antenna performance...perhaps Apple is stinging still from antenna-gate. LOL The main performance gain is probably getting the antennas away from the power supply which they moved inside of the case. See, Apple does want you to admire it's base station! :-) I guess the design will also discourage people from stacking things on top of it, too. I used to stack my Extreme and older model mini together. So that will help performance. Still, I'd rather have a smaller unit (lighter, less plastic, etc).

Edit: Hm, I notice there are a few heat sinks in there, and a fan, too. Did the previous gen Extreme have a fan (mine is two gens old)? I wonder if the cooling is also a carry over from the Time Capsule, too, which may need it for the hard drive, or if the Extreme requires that much cooling. I know my Extreme runs pretty warm, but that's less of an issue than for Time Capsule with it's more senstive hard drive. I'm sure the internal power supply needs cooling, too.
  • Reply 66 of 70
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It was for accounting reasons. Don't pretend otherwise.

I didn't.  Don't pretend that I did.

• Reply 67 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    razorpit wrote: »
    I didn't.  Don't pretend that I did.

Shouldn't have put it in quotes, then.
  • Reply 68 of 70
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shouldn't have put it in quotes, then.

I was quoting Apple.  Would you prefer I use $accounting reasons$ instead?

• Reply 69 of 70
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

Wonder when we will see 802.11ad support -- which could be a big deal for short distance file transfers...

See:

http://www.techspot.com/news/51343-7gbps-wireless-on-the-way-wigig-80211ad-adopted-by-ieee.html

• Reply 70 of 70
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    I may have missed it, but I don't think the article identified whether there was a SATA controller present. It could be that Apple are using the same chassis in the models without a HDD, but are not installing the controller necessary to utilize one. There is also the matter of the power supply. It is not clear whether it is the same for the units with/without the HDD.

I rather doubt that it would be possible to utilize two SSDs because the controller is almost certainly configured for only one HDD because that would be all that Apple intends to utilize.

It will be interesting to see what the answers to these questions may be.

Some pundits are suggesting that, unless you need a new Airport right now, it would be preferable to wait for deployment of 802.11ad which is expected before too long.