Apple working with Logitech and Moga for MFi game controllers, details framework at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Good - this is long overdue!
  • Reply 42 of 72
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    Hey guys sorry here's source for charts:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/13l9ad/recently_i_scraped_a_database_of_24000_videogames/

Not entirely accurate, as one would expect, just thought it was cool :-)

Side note - How many people own TVs in this chart for definite. How many play on iOS. Looks like Post-PC may also turn out to be Post-Console. "Hardcore" gamers (I reject the suffix-only "Core" label as a misanomer) are clearly only one certain vocal group, but then so are people who use forums. Let's not pretend we're overflowing with women here, for example. I love how the genres of games have stabilised as the number of gamers has increased.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's right; the charts show that PC gaming outstrips console gaming.

You have to get the last word in don't you.

so in the charts does it account for people that use more than one system? or that a lot or people on there probably do you use more than one, funny thing about statistics...they can be used to suit anyones points, so no.

If you still want to play that game, have a closer look, if you put just the xbox 360 & PS3 ones together they are the same as PC....so add wii & DS, id say console has a bit more, at least even. Not sure what you were getting at, another spanner for you, having a look at those charts, as a whole, most gamers aren't PC gamers :p (if we read into it they way you seem to be)

I play PC games too & they are great, my point was that a "Gamer" isn't necessarily a PC gamer (it is simply incorrect to say that they are), PC games are a very very narrow view of the gaming world, some of the most popular games in the world, don't come out on PC at all or come out years later.

Someone that is really into games, plays the good ones, doesn't matter what platform it is on.

Interesting thought tho, I guess a gamer isn't determined by what platform they are on, that chart does show that it has changed alot over the years, platforms gain & lose popularity, but video games still continue to makes tones of money, in a few years time it might be augmented reality, google glass things on people or implants.

I've gone on a tangent... 

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Let's not pretend we're overflowing with women here

so true image

• Reply 44 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="Zozman" url="/t/158036/apple-working-with-logitech-and-moga-for-mfi-game-controllers-details-framework-at-wwdc/40#post_2346357"]so in the charts does it account for people that use more than one system? or that a lot or people on there probably do you use more than one, funny thing about statistics...they can be used to suit anyones points, so no.[/QUOTE]

Why... would that matter? This is a chart of everything. Therefore everything is on it. And computer games still outstrip consoles.

[QUOTE]If you still want to play that game, have a closer look, [/QUOTE]

I did have a closer look. I had a closer look when looking at the entire image, but if it's hard for you to see the difference, I'll certainly simplify the chart. Black is console, red is PC. The console industry's in a lull right now, sure, since we're transitioning generations, but even that can't explain the discrepancy.
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/26800/width/500/height/1000[/IMG][IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/26801/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 45 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I did have a closer look. I had a closer look when looking at the entire image, but if it's hard for you to see the difference, I'll certainly simplify the chart. Black is console, red is PC. The console industry's in a lull right now, sure, since we're transitioning generations, but even that can't explain the discrepancy.

Sorry, no sale, that looks different to what the chart shows, nice try, better luck next time.

• Reply 46 of 72
    zozman wrote: »
    Sorry, no sale, that looks different to what the chart shows, nice try, better luck next time.

Fine, do it yourself. Actually prove me wrong rather than looking at empirical proof and just lying about it.
  • Reply 47 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fine, do it yourself. Actually prove me wrong rather than looking at empirical proof and just lying about it.

PC on the left, consoles (combined) on the right, i didn't include mac with PC, i guess i could if you wanted.

As fun as this wasn't, it's interesting that you fixated on this irrelevant stat, if PC did make up for a larger portion, which it doesn't clearly, what did it prove again exactly?

• Reply 48 of 72
    i didn't include mac with PC, i guess i could if you wanted.

So you purposely ignored fact and chose to twist results. That's nice. Again, you can open your eyes and look at my post. I already proved my point.
    it's interesting that you fixated on this irrelevant stat...

Yeah, I tend to be in favor of people not lying. I stated it offhand earlier, you wanted confirmation, I gave it.
    ...if PC did make up for a larger portion, which it doesn't clearly, what did it prove again exactly?

Again, as it is larger, it proves a larger install base, therefore larger purchasing base, therefore larger development base. What incentive do people have to make games for BlackBerry vs. iOS? THAT is the difference I'm trying to intimate. I'm not sure how you can miss it.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Oh yay, another asinine black-and-white gamer argument.

Gamepads and keyboards are optimized for different types of games. No single input method is superior for every situation or person.

Drill down into first person shooters, for instance, and you see some optimized for gamepads (Halo) and others optimized for keyboards (id tech). Then there's arcade sticks for fighting games.

But no, let's drag market share into this! 52% of people prefer one thing, so those other 48% must be wrong! Personal preference is meaningless!

Never mind that referencing market share to justify your own purchase decisions exposes some deep-seated insecurity...

Bottom line: I wouldn't care if only five other people bought iOS gamepads. I will get one if I feel like it.

TimmyDax View Post

SpamSandwich View Post

I'd love to get a nice game controller for my Mac.

^ This.

Whilst Windows has had controller support since serial port joysticks, I have never found the mac to be in any way cooperative. Hopefully that'll now change.

PS3 controller works out of the box.

My iMac has been using a Dualshock 3 since they came out, and the occasional Wiimote. They use standard Bluetooth (XBox 360 does not), and most games support them via OS X built-in HID frameworks. There's a few system prefpanes for manual mapping if needed.

bobringer View Post

Goodbye Nintendo... it was a good century. Once Apple flips the switch on an App Store for my TV... and these controllers are released... it's game over for Nintendo.

Calm down. Nintendo is committed to producing their own hardware for the next 15 years at least, and that's the only place you'll see people's beloved Nintendo characters (aside from the occasional arcade fighting game bonus character).

• Reply 50 of 72

Quote:

So you purposely ignored fact and chose to twist results. That's nice. Again, you can open your eyes and look at my post. I already proved my point.

If i tried to twist the results, i wouldn't have mentioned that i left mac out if the PC stats, here you go, i included mac this time

PC & Mac on the left, All consoled combined on the right, does that make you feel better?

Quote:

Yeah, I tend to be in favor of people not lying. I stated it offhand earlier, you wanted confirmation, I gave it.

I haven't lied at any point, you just disagree with me, even when i prove you wrong you still can't take it, just leave it alone, i can tell you have an ego about being right, you aren't always right.

Quote:

Again, as it is larger, it proves a larger install base, therefore larger purchasing base, therefore larger development base. What incentive do people have to make games for BlackBerry vs. iOS? THAT is the difference I'm trying to intimate. I'm not sure how you can miss it.

WTF are you talking about? (i just showed you that is isn't larger...) WTF number 2, when a game developer makes games these days, many choose to make them multi platform, so they bring games out on PC, PS3, XBOX 360, Wii U (sometimes Mac) at the same time, which is far larger than just PC, more than twice the size, that's a massive development base & the video game industry making more money than Hollywood blockbusters is incentive enough for them to make games.

• Reply 51 of 72
    [quote name="Zozman" url="/t/158036/apple-working-with-logitech-and-moga-for-mfi-game-controllers-details-framework-at-wwdc/40#post_2346443"]If i tried to twist the results, i wouldn't have mentioned that i left mac out if the PC stats...[/QUOTE]

If you weren't trying to twist the results, you'd have actually included everything the first time.

[QUOTE]PC & Mac on the left, All consoled combined on the right, does that make you feel better?[/QUOTE]

Not really; you're still ignoring what the chart tells you. In fact, you're basically saying exactly the opposite of what you insinuated earlier, which I find interesting.

[QUOTE]I haven't lied at any point, you just disagree with me, even when i prove you wrong you still can't take it, just leave it alone, i can tell you have an ego about being right, you aren't always right.[/QUOTE]

Please just shut up and look at the effing image. I'm not even bothering with pleasantries anymore. I'm going to ask again: Did you or did you not even look at the image you're working with?

We'll need to have a unified message going forward with anything else in this argument. Is iOS a valid gaming platform?
  • Reply 52 of 72
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Not to mention you are pretty much in a microwave oven when doing it.

Posted by Tallest Skil

Please do not tell me you actually believe thisOriginally View Post

Its a figure of speech, I dont really believe I am cooking, but I dont like being in the middle of a mess of wifi signals. With the router behind me and the TV in front, I am getting bombarded by wifi waves when I do this.

• Reply 53 of 72
    We'll need to have a unified message going forward with anything else in this argument. Is iOS a valid gaming platform?

Tallest, that has to be one of the most bizarre questions you have ever asked. I only say that (and truly, only) because the number one category in the App Store is Games. That is both in Paid and Free. It is definitely a valid and, in my opinion, upcoming market platform for game playing. It is a completely new and exciting way to create games, and truly the sky is the limit. So I guess the real question is, how isn't iOS a valid gaming platform?

Also, as a side note, I have played many a game using AirPlay and AppleTV. I have not had a single issue with it. I have even played Final Fantasy IV on AirPlay, and had a wonderful nostalgic experience with that.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member

First predicted on the Apple Outsiderimage Time flies. *yawn*

• Reply 55 of 72
    It is definitely a valid...

Sure, you believe it. That's fine, but I need to know what his answer is. Because he has just intimated that he doesn't exactly think so in a vain attempt to discredit me for whatever reason.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    I don't know why. I've had me some consoles in my time, but mouse+keyboard are leagues better than any of them. I prefer 108 buttons to 8, for example.
    Yes, I assume that why Nintendo now has a touchscreen on its controller

This almost garentees a Apple TV support (and the final battle of IOS vs game consoles)
  • Reply 57 of 72
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Skil, not everything is about you. Maybe stop taking everything personally, and these threads would only need to be about half as long.

• Reply 58 of 72
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Airplay is just horrible for ATV gaming.  It gliches too much. Not to mention you are pretty much in a microwave oven when doing it.

I've not spent much time trying it - some of the apps that required specific "touching" on the screen you were holding I really didn't like, and some of the graphics of some of the games didn't transfer well (Asphalt 7 I was disappointed, though I did only briefly try it - on my iPad mini it's awesome but on AP Mirroring, not so much). One that did very well was Badlands (in fact it was ideal) - I preferred the iPhone version over my iPad mini version because the dimensions of the iPhone more closely match a widescreen television, and this game in particular you don't have actually have to watch where you tap on the screen, you just need to tap, and the lag was unimportant.

AirPlay Mirroring, you're right, it's far from perfect, but for some it works well - will be interesting to see how developers deal with the controllers and whether games start really paying attention to AirPlay Mirroring using controllers starting this fall and the AP Mirroring improves (they can deal with issues related to lags and other glitches due to AP Mirroring).

Still, though, I'd prefer apps to run directly on the ATV. Plus, they did just open up BT connectivity on the ATV, so perhaps controllers connected to the ATV is all part of the master plan??

• Reply 59 of 72

Quote:

If you weren't trying to twist the results, you'd have actually included everything the first time.

....you cant be for real, this is just silly, i didn't include them because you didn't specify, i asked the question, really think most of this has gone over your head.

Quote:

Not really; you're still ignoring what the chart tells you. In fact, you're basically saying exactly the opposite of what you insinuated earlier, which I find interesting.

??? Ummm...No

Quote:

look at the effing image. I'm not even bothering with pleasantries anymore. I'm going to ask again: Did you or did you not even look at the image you're working with?

I sure did, i opened it in photoshop, i cut the edge showing most recent info, i moved the PC & mac spec to one line, the consoles to another (i used the graph jpeg), that is basically it, It shows clear as day, i don't get your hoohaa-ing & bellyaching, its super obvious, you can't be challenged by this, everything you said, has been countered, I don't get why you, kept going with it, i went to bed last night.

I had you with the points & I had you again when you got mad, you started getting more irrational, You gotta chill out & step back, whats the point of arguing online, whats the point of being stubborn when arguing online & losing?.

You gotta be from bizzaro world, everything is backwards image

Quote:

Aside from the rest of whatever our conversation was, I think iOS is getting there, games like sudoku don't really make it seem like a valid platform, i've been playing knights of the old republic on my iPad, this was a game i used to play on xbox & PC, its perfect for iPad, its a real game.

with the use of controllers, people can turn to iOS as a console almost, there is so much potential. 

iOS devices are much more like Consoles than PCs & with controllers, the gaming community will see it that way too.

• Reply 60 of 72
    i didn't include them because you didn't specify

Come off it. No, seriously. Come. Off. It. I explicitly stated computer vs. console. You STILL haven't built an accurate representation of that, whereas I did it in seconds.
    That's right; the charts show that PC gaming outstrips console gaming.

I specifically stated it.