iOS 7 beta: Zoom while recording video in Apple's Camera app

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's first iOS 7 beta adds the ability to zoom in and out, via a two-finger pinching motion, while recording video in the default Camera application.

Zooming while shooting video works the same way as it does when taking a picture in iOS: Simply place two fingers on the screen, and expand them to zoom in, or pinch them closer together to zoom back out.

As can be seen in the clip above, video zoom in iOS 7 is relatively fluid, and it's easy to use. Of course, because there is no optical zoom on the iPhone's tiny image sensor, image quality is greatly reduced when the picture is zoomed completely in.

Zooming in and out also does not affect the processing time in saving a video. The first iOS 7 beta saves the file to the Photos application just as quickly.

As noted in AppleInsider's summary of changes to the new Photos app, recorded videos are also automatically categorized in their own folder via the "Albums" tab. There, Panoramas captured using the iPhone can also be found in a separate folder.

Another new feature in the iOS 7 Camera app is the ability to capture a still picture while recording video. A white capture button appears on the screen, below the red video recording button, once a recording has begun, allowing users to capture images and video at the same time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Another new feature in the iOS 7 Camera app is the ability to capture a still picture while recording video. A white capture button appears on the screen, below the red video recording button, once a recording has begun, allowing users to capture images and video at the same time.

That isn't new...
  • Reply 2 of 29
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    It's "new to the iOS camera app", n'est pas?
  • Reply 3 of 29
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

That isn't new...

It's new to iPhone but not iPad.  Very useful as it's currently the only way to take a still picture on an iOS device without the shutter sound going off.  This silent picture taking can be very handy at times, but is mostly disallowed because of paranoia over perverts using cameras in changing rooms etc. 

• Reply 4 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    As a shareholder, I don't believe any information that violates Apple's NDA should be posted here.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    It's new to iPhone but not iPad.  Very useful as it's currently the only way to take a still picture on an iOS device without the shutter sound going off.  This silent picture taking can be very handy at times, but is mostly disallowed because of paranoia over perverts using cameras in changing rooms etc. 

Ever try the silent button on the side for silent shutter?
  • Reply 6 of 29
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

As a shareholder, I don't believe any information that violates Apple's NDA should be posted here.

Is anything here violating the NDA?

• Reply 7 of 29
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Would be cool if that was combined with a 41 megapixel sensor...
  • Reply 8 of 29
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    Another "feature" that should've been included in the first go-around? Getting kinda sick of this. Especially after seeing the "Mavericks" video (which seems like only a service pack to me; maybe they're saving the real innovation for OSXI?)
  • Reply 9 of 29

I would never use digital zoom, as it doesn't add any detail to the source video -- in fact you see less the more you zoom. Optical zoom makes sense. Digital zoom is nothing more than a fancy blur filter.

• Reply 10 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Is anything here violating the NDA?

That's what I'd like to know. Anything not publicly disclosed by Apple that is instead disclosed by a developer or by someone at AppleInsider using their developer's license to glean information from the dev tools is in clear violation of Apple's NDA.

In fact, I'd not be opposed to any images captured from apps created prior to the release of the final iOS update to be watermarked somehow by Apple to suss out leakers and NDA violators.

• Reply 11 of 29
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I don't think it's a "digital zoom" but a true zoom. We're talking about 8 MP sensor on iPhone 5... when filming in HD which is only 2MP, pixels are binned... so when you zoom while recording, you're cropping even further yet retaining all the fine details with less binning needed. The details are still sharp even when zoomed.

• Reply 12 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Another "feature" that should've been included in the first go-around? Getting kinda sick of this. Especially after seeing the "Mavericks" video (which seems like only a service pack to me; maybe they're saving the real innovation for OSXI?)

Mavericks is CHOCK FULL of innovations that other operating systems can't even come close to. All the beta testers commenting on it now say it's the best release of OSX ever. The memory handling and battery saving features alone blow away anything else. You really don't know what you're talking about.

• Reply 13 of 29
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Nope... Can do this on my iPhone 5 with iOS 6
  • Reply 14 of 29
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Sure, but why stop at 41? Why not make it 141? Would be handy for only one image (no more room) but the res would be so awesome you wouldn't need any more shots. A bit of zooming  and copy pasting in post and you'd be done. Everything in a single shot!

• Reply 15 of 29
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »

It ain't no service pack... Mavericks is like having a totally new machine... It's faster... it uses less power... it runs cooler... it beach balls much less often... It appears rock solid!
  • Reply 16 of 29
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    jason98 wrote: »

scampercom wrote: »
    I would never use digital zoom, as it doesn't add any detail to the source video -- in fact you see less the more you zoom. Optical zoom makes sense. Digital zoom is nothing more than a fancy blur filter.

I suspect that before too long (maybe as soon as this fall) that we will see folded optics in the iPhone giving, say 3x optical zoom.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Nope... Can do this on my iPhone 5 with iOS 6

Thank you, my point exactly.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    rtdunham wrote: »
    It's "new to the iOS camera app", n'est pas?

I do this on my iPhone 5 all the time with iOS 6. So...no.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

The functionality is so cool and the icon is basically a black wingding on a gray box.

Come on Jony, please still be tweaking these before the official release! 

• Reply 20 of 29
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

yeah! except for the part where you just used all your phone memory for one snapshot…