dual gig 2002 quicksilver - more noisy than usual

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
my 2002 quicksilver dual gig seems to making more noise than usual. anyone have this problem?

didn't i read somewhere that apple will replace the motherboard on these because of the excessive fan noise?

[ 12-26-2002: Message edited by: burningwheel ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Download the lastest firmware update. It reduced the noise on mine. I believe its specifically for that purpose on this model G4.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Where is the firmware available for download? My DP Ghz QS is loud as f*ck!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    <a href="http://www.apple.com/support"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/support</a>; might be a good place to start.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    the only thing i can find is:

Power Mac G4 SuperDrive Firmware Update 1.0

i already updated this

The Power Mac G4 Firmware Update 4.4.8 is for mirrored door models, whichj i don't have

[ 12-25-2002: Message edited by: burningwheel ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Same here. Is it the power supply or the fan that is causing the noise? I looked at a discussion about the MDD G4 noise problems on Apple's feedback discussion and it seemed like it had to do with Ac Bel power supply, which apparently aren't very good and have noisy Delta (??) fans. My QS has an AcBel so I'm wondering whether replacing that would be good. I was thinking about replacing the case fan but I'm not sure which is making the computer so noisy.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>Same here. Is it the power supply or the fan that is causing the noise? .</strong><hr></blockquote>

it sounds like the fan to me, sounds like a motor that is accelerating, then it makes this wobbling(?) sound, like the speed keeps varying, damm it just did it just now. man...i don't want to send this thing back to apple

[ 12-26-2002: Message edited by: burningwheel ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    replacing the fan of your power-supply isn't that difficult. check your local pc reseller.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>Same here. Is it the power supply or the fan that is causing the noise? I looked at a discussion about the MDD G4 noise problems on Apple's feedback discussion and it seemed like it had to do with Ac Bel power supply, which apparently aren't very good and have noisy Delta (??) fans. My QS has an AcBel so I'm wondering whether replacing that would be good. I was thinking about replacing the case fan but I'm not sure which is making the computer so noisy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

this is for mirrored-door models only i think. i don't have the mirrored-door model
  • Reply 9 of 11
    off to the apple store my computer must go not sure when though, very sooon the noise now happens on start up
  • Reply 10 of 11
    typical. i just took my machine in and the machine failed to make the noise for the MacGenius, I got it home it made the noise immediately and it was worse. The guy think it's might be a something between the power supply and fan, which may need to be replaced
  • Reply 11 of 11
    well i also failed to mention that my b-tree catalog was messed up and unrepairable, so i had to zero my hard drive and reinstall everything. since i've done this the noise has seemed to disappear :confused: :eek: