Don't be an idiot like I am: Resist the urge to have the "latest and greatest" OS X software.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi...

I'll preface this by saying I'm the fool who never learns. I somehow get lured into having the "latest and greatest" version of OS X and it often leads to my own peril. The latest example of my gnat-sized brain at work was the installation of OS X 10.9 through a bona fide Apple Developer account. (I may be a fool but at least I didn't download a Torrent or pirated version.) So what's going on?

My installation of OSX 10.9 "Beta" (13A476u) has been a complete disaster. Mail crashes and neither Terminal nor the App Store icons work; double-clicking on the Terminal or App Store icon does nothing. Oddly enough, after installing OS X 10.9, my Ethernet no longer functions but WiFi does. Refreshing the DHCP lease always results in a 169.x.x.x IP address which, as we know, is reserved and will not link with my ISP. Another issue: The OS X installation disk that came with the iMac will not allow me to install it and, because the App Store application doesn't load, I can't download OS X 10.8 to re-install Mountain Lion. To make matters worse, I didn't do a backup so I now have a 27" i7 iMac that's useless.

Please don't rip me for being an idiot as I already know that's the case. All I can do now is warn others that it's best to wait for any given version of OS X to be released to the public, however "difficult" that may be.

In the meanwhile, any suggestions to get my Mac up and running again would be appreciated. Luckily, I don't have much of anything that's per se "important" on my computer (hence my nonchalance regarding backups) so I didn't incur data or monetary loss, just inconvenience.

Regards,

Rob

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Yeah, it's called beta software. I mean, really!

No backups, your personal App Store glitched; no one to blame but yourself. Guess you'll have to wait for DP2 to go back to Mountain Lion.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thank you, Captain Obvious! I already stated I was a fool [I]three[/I] times in my original post so what's the point of your post other than to be fool of another kind?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    deputyrob wrote: »
    Thank you, Captain Obvious! I already stated I was a fool three times in my original post so what's the point of your post other than to be fool of another kind?

You have no backup, you have no restore software, you have no access to restore software, and you ask for help restoring. We can make fun of that instead, if you wish.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeputyRob View Post

Thank you, Captain Obvious! I already stated I was a fool three times in my original post so what's the point of your post other than to be fool of another kind?

You because you said it doesn't mean it isn't true.