Editorial: What WWDC 2013 tells us about Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 142
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    A Mac Pro mini would be awesome:

The time is (finally) right for a Mac minitower
    http://www.macworld.com/article/2029740/the-time-is-finally-right-for-a-mac-minitower.html
  • Reply 22 of 142
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Very good points about the many "versions" of Android and all the various skins placed on top. Does anyone know what "Android" really looks like? There are so many things in OEM Android phones that have come from sources other than iOS (like Palm, Symbian or even Windows) that the Android fanboys seem to think Android invented every single mobile interface. Android didn't invent them all, but they sure as hell incorporated them all.

BTW, waiting for all the anti-Dilger people to post again. Oh, and the inevitable new accounts fuming at the thought Apple didn't really copy Android as much as they think.

All the examples used were from a Nexus, so it's how Google intended Android to look like.
  • Reply 23 of 142
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kicsike wrote: »
    I would like to comment on the following statement:
    "Macs aren't really priced significantly higher than generic PC's of similar built qualities and specs."
    It is not quite true, but in a different direction that one may think about.
    About four years ago when I switched from Windows PC to a Mac, a move I regret only for not doing it years earlier, I went on Dell's website and built a similar quality PC compared with the Mac Pro I had purchased. The Mac Pro was $100 more expensive, which compared to the $3000 something price is only 3%. This difference was a result of not being able to choose the 8GB DDR3 RAM memory for the Dell machine, only DDR2, since DDR3 was not available in the spring of 2009 for Dell.
    If I would have been able to choose DDR3 RAM memory for the Dell PC the price difference would have been probably nil.
    Half a year later I purchased an additional Apple computer, a 17 inch MacBook Pro.
    I did the same "exercise" as for the Mac Pro and my Apple laptop came out $100 cheaper than the comparably configured Dell laptop.
    So, my conclusion is: there is no price difference at all between Machines running the Apple OSX operating system compared tp machines running the Windows operating system.
    Or, if still there is, it's non significant.

It all depends on the comparison. If you're looking for the lowest priced compact car, it's not a BMW. OTOH, if you're looking for the lowest priced luxury/performance compact, the BMW is well in line with Mercedes/Audi/Infiniti.

What you've just stated has been obvious to people who are really paying attention for years. Look at the Ultrabooks - it took massive subsidies from Intel to make PC vendors even remotely competitive. Or the iMac. When Apple had the 24" and then the 27" iMac, there was nothing on the market that was significantly less that could even remotely be considered comparable.

appex wrote: »
    A Mac Pro mini would be awesome:

The time is (finally) right for a Mac minitower
    http://www.macworld.com/article/2029740/the-time-is-finally-right-for-a-mac-minitower.html

That's what the new Mac Pro is. Much more limited external expandability, smaller form factor. Amazing - even when Apple gives people what they've been asking for, they're not happy.
  • Reply 24 of 142
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    A lot of pundits who try to educate on who copied who are either too young or getting too old to remember what really happened. And are too lazy to look it up.

DED usually nail these.
  • Reply 25 of 142
    @relic, my recollection is that Solaris evolved out of SunOS, which was a System V unix, not BSD.
  • Reply 26 of 142
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    This IS the Mac Pro Mini! Do Apple or DED have to name it as such for you? Just LOOK at it! What does Apple have to do for you besides put it right beside the old Pro to show you? IT'S MINI, FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD!

At this early stage, it would be unwise for Apple to reveal its whole strategy. I guess Frakes hasn't twigged on this either, as you linked to his Mar 4th article.. Besides being obviously smaller in form, with SIX (since you need this all spelled out for you, that's one two three four five SIX!) Thunderbolt ports, THERE'S your expandability potential! For those who don't need that expandability, THERE'S YOUR MINI TOWER! Plus, with this small, simple form factor, THERE'S your surprisingly LOW entry price! Duoh!
  • Reply 27 of 142
    Thank you for a great interpretive summary after, what is for some of us who aren't developers, a bewildering event.
  • Reply 28 of 142
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
    My wife and I own an iPad and an Ipad Mini.
    We refer to them as the Maxi Pad and the Tampon.
  • Reply 29 of 142
    For the most part, I like all of this guy's articles a lot. I would like them better if there weren't so many examples of poor grammar, and factual errors. "There's" should be "There are" when referring to more than one thing. Windows XP shipped in October 2001, not in 2002. As for the grammar issues, you might be thinking "big deal", but I don't like seeing the English language degraded on tech blogs. It's a huge distraction as I read the articles. Is it really that hard to proofread before posting something?

All this being said, I'm glad that Apple didn't release a completely "flat" UI in iOS 7. Why do that anyway? There are some great aspects to the "flat" design mantra, but to make a UI flat for the sake of being flat is stupid. I like some of what Google, and Microsoft have done in this realm, but in a lot of ways, they've taken it too far. Apple simplified the look and feel of iOS without robbing it of its beauty, and functionality. Microsoft's quest to flatten their OS, and merge the desktop and mobile versions robbed the end user of critical OS features that they had come to depend upon (Start menu). Windows 8 also forces the user to embrace a new UI that they may not have wanted. Sure, there's a "desktop" mode, but how many average PC buyers will know this right away? Apple has always found ways to transition its user base into change, rather than force change upon us. Lion brought in an iOS like Launchpad that mimics the home screen functionality of iOS. We were not forced to use it. It is merely another way to find, and launch applications. I know some people who never use Launchpad, and they are no less productive because of it. Apple's gradual approach may annoy some tech pundits, but luckily, Apple isn't in this business to get high praise from them. If they were, we would all be hating Apple's products.
  • Reply 30 of 142
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Granted, DED is a great writer as well as a profound present-day intellect, and from his apparent research skills, a far better analyst than most of those who call themselves such, but if you must depend upon others such as him for interpretation, you should realize that his frequent pro-Apple stances are most likely based upon his apparent preference to OBSERVE with his own eyes and draw his own conclusions based on those observations. We should all do that more!
  • Reply 31 of 142

Quote:

exciting and fun features that dazzle and pop rather than simplify and enhance.

Wrong.

iOs7 does simplify and enhance.  That's the whole point.

Other than that...a decent article.

Though I don't agree on Mac pricing.  Historically, Apple have offered Macs cheaper (on entry models certainly...) when they had no stores, less volume on sales and less money in the bank.  e.g. entry iMac going from £675 in 2008 to £1099 now (and they charge £65 extra for the DVD player they dropped...)  And they used to have dedicated gpus on the mini prior to the Intel switch.  So they've saved on that as well?  Yet the Mini is historically more (with no k/b, mouse and monitor...)

Yes.  I get the branding angle.  They're 'Apple.'  (Bending you over on Mac pricing is nothing new...)  

I think they could squeeze margin on just entry models to help more people onto the Mac ladder.  (They've done it in the past...)

Still, I guess they can pass the billions they make knickle and diming customers on outrageous upsell to their shareholders...

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 32 of 142

PS.  I'm please Apple had a really excellent WWDC after all that bad press and outrageous market manipulation of their share price.

Analysts.

Don't get me started...

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 33 of 142
    I thought this article was annoying and biased so I stopped reading. Then I realized it was from AppleInsider and now it all makes sense!
  • Reply 34 of 142
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Here's great article on iOS and how it's human nature for people to reject the unfamiliar.

http://releasecandidateone.com/253:given_time

I think once iOS ships and people start using it on a regular basis perception and attitudes about it will shift.
  • Reply 35 of 142
    fuwafuwafuwafuwa Posts: 163member

I'd rather call the new Android theme as Hollow. It just offered over hyped craps.

• Reply 36 of 142
    fuwafuwafuwafuwa Posts: 163member

-- deleted, double post --

• Reply 37 of 142
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    I thought this article was annoying and biased so I stopped reading. Then I realized it was from AppleInsider and now it all makes sense!

This post has a strong whiff of BS hanging over it.
  • Reply 38 of 142
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I didn't think I'd say this, but the more I use iOS 7, overall, the more I like it. Some elements require a little more work, but I think I like the direction in which this is going.

I'll admit to feeling a great deal of "design shock" upon first use, but spending a little more time with the OS has left me looking forward to the release.
  • Reply 39 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Most so called comparisons are by people who are able to build their own PC from scratch & can achieve a significant saving this way. Naturally these people ignore the fact that the average person cannot/has no wish to go this route & also refuse to recognise the quality of Apples design and casing materials.

Absolutely true!!!

• Reply 40 of 142

You didn't know it was Apple Insider from the beginning? Of course it's biased. That's why "Editorial" is in the title. Editorials are supposed to be biased. I don't always agree with him, and his grammar skills really annoy me sometimes, but DED has a lot of great insight into Apple. He seems to understand that computer and software industries much better than the tech journalists who are constantly attacking Apple.