Rumor: Apple's inexpensive iPhone to adopt colors from iPhone 4 Bumpers

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    I'd expect no LTE and a slower processor with 16 GB of FLASH as the only size and a low-end camera module (5MP-ish). The goal is to ensure that folks have an entry-level model to join the iOS community.

I think that there is a lot of value in iOS reaching a larger community base. There is a real possibility of iOS becoming the defacto mobile OS, if Apple can dominate the space. Then the 'walled garden' becomes a 'walled universe' and the outsiders become a rogue minority, not the unwashed masses. Being a dominant platform brings a lot of value to the user community; Windows won the OS wars because it was ubiquitous; System 7 was marginalized when it was not the dominant player.

I don't know if the answer is based on an OS war or if the end-game is HTML5 and web-apps, but Apple is playing both markets quite well. I'd almost suspect that their recent surge in saying 'we are not in the volume mantra is the classic Apple mis-information'.

I get what you are saying regarding entrance into the ecosystem, but I am not sure what that would gain Apple. If they run iOS for little profit, and the people who would buy these low cost iPhones haven't before because of the price, then how much in terms of Apps etc would these people buy to make it worth Apple's time and money? It is a bit of a pickle, because if they make it too functional then these people would not upgrade to the premium phone if they could afford to. If it is too stripped, those people would look elsewhere. Not saying it couldn't be done, but am curious how they would pull it off
  • Reply 62 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    hydr wrote: »
    It helps keep IOS relevant in the silly "marketshare" bubble. By allowing vast amount of people in third-world countries to start using IOS, they win over users who will later stay in the ecosystem.

I agree with you. I see two markets, the lower income third world countries (politically incorrect term these days, developing world perhaps) and kids in Europe, Americas, Australasia etc. If they can take pictures and video and use iTunes, Photostream, Sharing, Airplay and so on ... the fact it can also make phone calls when needed makes it a no brainer if at a lower cost to families where mom and dad already have iPads and or iPhones. It is about the Eco system.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    You must be from the Microsoft Marketing camp! 

A cheaper product due to form factor is not the same as a cheaper version of the same. If you reduce the size of something, remove the screen, the of course it will be cheaper. But the fact that the shuffle can be clipped to you, or the nano is a smaller form factor, but without the function of a Touch is not Apple trying to reduce the price to gain market, but to introduce additional form factors to meet market demand. Same with the iPad mini as the smaller form factor is to reach demand, not to reduce price. 

Can Appleinsider please ban idiots who call those of us HERE SINCE 2003 Microsoft trolls.

If not , say goodbye to your audience.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Getz is on ignore. The reasons why Apple will introduce new iPhones can be summed up in two statements of fact.

1) they have more than one model of everything else.
    2) if your existing market is saturated you introduce new products.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Can Appleinsider please ban idiots who call those of us HERE SINCE 2003 Microsoft trolls.

If not , say goodbye to your audience.

So you can't read? I said Marketing Camp, not trolls. And you being here since 2003 makes you correct in all your post? 

• Reply 66 of 66
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Getz is on ignore. The reasons why Apple will introduce new iPhones can be summed up in two statements of fact.

1) they have more than one model of everything else.

2) if your existing market is saturated you introduce new products.

No, seriously, you hurt my feelings by ignoring. /s

Again, you can't, or won't read. I did not say that Apple will not introduce new phones, but that they will not introduce a cheap phone to grab market share. If the market demands, larger (as they did) or smaller (as they did with the iPad) then Apple will meet those demands as long as they can without compromising user experience. Apple has said this many time so this is not me bloviating.