Inside iOS 7: Animations work with flat graphics to create sense of space

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    tbell wrote: »
    I like the new interface a lot. To me, the phone should be fun.

To me the phone should be usable. iOS7 is a step back for the most parts.
  • Reply 42 of 75
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Congrats on liking the worst icon the most.

By Royal Decree I declare the worst icon to be the Safari icon (not just on iOS, but across all platforms, I dislike the compass metaphor). Now let's duel. ;-)

Opinions are funny things, more often than not they're intended to be used as weapons against those with contradictory opinions in the never ending petty squabbles over human supremacy, however in reality they revert back to their base value and merely effuse mass ignorance. This icon issue is a perfect example.

• Reply 43 of 75
    aliy155aliy155 Posts: 4member
    I haven't used iOS 7 and will not be spending my 100$ for an unfinished software. My advice for all of you is if you don't develop an app, simply don't download it. It's not ready for daily use. Also, I don't get the people who whine about the icons. I like them, but that's not the thing. You have to look at the UI as a whole; not just the icons. The important question you have to ask is, "Do the icons, background, animations, etc complement each other?" If they do so, then shut up. I think that's what Ive was thinking while designing iOS 7. Please don't criticize an OS or a phone just by looking at its icons. And if you are not happy with them, simply don't update your iPhone when it is released or don't download the beta. End of the discussion.
  • Reply 44 of 75
    aliy155aliy155 Posts: 4member
    By Royal Decree I declare the worst icon to be the Safari icon (not just on iOS, but across all platforms, I dislike the compass metaphor). Now let's duel ;-)

I agree with you too. I like the icons but not Safari's. It makes you think that there wasn't any work put on it.
  • Reply 45 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Congrats on having no taste. You must like the Safari icon.

• Reply 46 of 75

I would like to have seen all the icons have the appearance of aluminum (like the Settings icon)... then make the iPhone entirely out of aluminum... like a thin brick of aluminum, simple and clean. It would match the design of the Macbooks and Mac Mini and also gives it that premium aesthetic, like a Mercedes Benz. :) But that's just my opinion and design is very subjective.

• Reply 47 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliy155 View Post

I haven't used iOS 7 and will not be spending my 100$ for an unfinished software. My advice for all of you is if you don't develop an app, simply don't download it. It's not ready for daily use. Also, I don't get the people who whine about the icons. I like them, but that's not the thing. You have to look at the UI as a whole; not just the icons. The important question you have to ask is, "Do the icons, background, animations, etc complement each other?" If they do so, then shut up. I think that's what Ive was thinking while designing iOS 7. Please don't criticize an OS or a phone just by looking at its icons. And if you are not happy with them, simply don't update your iPhone when it is released or don't download the beta. End of the discussion.

You strike me as some kid who doesn't know anything of which they speak.  

You say you "haven't used it," but then tell us that it's "not ready for daily use."  How would you know?  I guess ignorance and prescience are the same thing for you?  

Your "shut up" comment, apart from being rude, tells us you know nothing about design either ("ugly" icons are okay if they match other ugly parts of the OS? Seriously?)

• Reply 48 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What evidence do you have to support that?

You said it yourself. You merely "understand" that the old slide to unlock (as in designed 7 or more years ago) had that purpose.

You thereby assume that an easier slide to unlock = people unlocking and butt dialing all day long.

These are the kinda of thoughtless posts that contribute nothing in the form of educated analysis, or even opinion. It's just a summary of what you were once told, what you see now, and the zero-effort conclusion you drew, without a single moment spared for original thought.

Do ya think....maybe....at some point in designing iOS 7....this point came up??

Relax. They have a clue what they're doing.

Actually he's completely right about that and the source is Steve Jobs himself at the original iPhone introduction.  

This is exactly how the slider was introduced and described, as a method to stop the phone "going off" in your pocket.  

• Reply 49 of 75
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Actually he's completely right about that and the source is Steve Jobs himself at the original iPhone introduction.  
    This is exactly how the slider was introduced and described, as a method to stop the phone "going off" in your pocket.  

I know that, buddy. My point was that it is beyond unintelligible to just assume that the "new" slide to unlock is somehow inherently flawed, because it is NOT the same as iPhone 2007 style.

I repeat....is it possible.....at some point....Apple actually tested whether something less challenging was just as practical/secure?

I think so.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    There are plenty of annoyances in current iOS software that I hope get fixed with iOS 7. Like stupid tab refreshes in iOS. I'll be posting something on a website, switch to another tab and when I come back I've lost everything I was posting because the damn page refreshed. It happens all the time. Having quick access to commonly used settings....why in the world doesn't iOS have this now? That's the thing I'm looking most forward to in iOS 7 - quickly being apple to turn Bluetooth or wifi on/off. And notification center providing useful, contextual information. Thank you Apple. Maybe they won't let Google run away with that space after all. Plus being able to access both from lock screen is a very welcome addition and makes the lock screen much more useful. Airdrop is the perfect answer to Samsung's silly bumping phones to share. And multitasking....how awesome it will be to open an app like downcast and have all my new podcasts downloaded without me having to manually refresh the app. Yeah baby!

The UI on iOS 7 still needs some work to be sure but this looks to be one of the best iOS updates in terms of features and functionality. Steve Jobs might not have approved but that doesn't mean he would have been right. I'm glad Cook & Co are doing what they think is right and not being paralyzed constantly asking themselves what Steve would do or if Steve would have approved.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    ireland wrote: »

You're getting to be bloody tiresome. Get off it. We know how you 'feel.' And a lot of us think that's quite irrelevant.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    Inject some testosterone into this OS and it will be fine. Otherwise a very large male demographic will be lost. That said, I've been using this since the beta was released and it has some awesome features.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Frankly, it seems cluttered, vague, and hard to look at/read. Too much brightness/white space, not enough object distinction, too flat, fonts are too thin, and it's going to CRAWL on an iPhone 4. I can't afford a new phone just to update the OS. This is how they do their planned obsolescence. Free OS updates encourage people to slow down their devices so they feel inclined toward buying an upgraded device.

I'm not looking forward to this at all. There wasn't a single practical feature that jumped out at me, but there's lots of eye candy and change for the sake of change. I don't see anything that actually helps the users in here. It reminds me of Android and WinRT, not iPhone. iPhone has all this iconic real estate taken in pop culture and they're going to obsolete it all with this update. That will reduce the iconic nature of the product.

This is the first time I've ever felt negative about an iOS update after its presentation.
  • Reply 54 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0378 View Post

Inject some testosterone into this OS and it will be fine. Otherwise a very large male demographic will be lost. That said, I've been using this since the beta was released and it has some awesome features.

Perhaps they need to sell iOS devices alongside weapons, farm equipment, military apparel and guns, or the lock screen should profile one of those baby eating dogs with a studded leather collar with a human bone in its mouth; why not just be more blatant and have the lock screen display a vagina (or would that seem as the opposite, too feminine, in which case a penis would be perceived as being more masculine on a lock screen?? but that wouldn't work for obvious reasons either).

Do you mean colours, or is there something more generally feminine about this new *software*, *Software*, *SOFTWARE*?! When did software (except that which is dedicated to the search for sanitary napkins, birth control pills and bras) become so prone to gender and/or sexual identity?

Is it colours (as I've seen so many neanderthals mention in the past week)? Didn't we all leave behind us along with our baby booties (which are all about indicating sex of newborns without having to peek inside their diapers)??

If any users are going to leave iOS devices due to its lacking in features appealing to a demographic consisting of beard growing, leather wearing, Marlboro smoking, wife beating and Harley-Davidson driving phone and tablet users (however big that group is), good effing riddance - they can all go bang a woman over the head, drag her by the hair back into their caves from whence they came and use the outdated (after 2 months) Android device they probably stole.

I'm looking for some clues in my man bag, it's here somewhere, right next to my iPad mini - the answer just has to be here or in the glovebox of my sweet tricked out powder puff pink convertible Viper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

...This is the first time I've ever felt negative about an iOS update after its presentation.

It's a good thing you didn't wait to adopt this opinion until after you'd actually played with the software.

Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on this software so I can test it out, learn the new OS and decide based on actual usage how it works and what it's like. From what I've seen in the keynote and a couple of the WWDC presentations, I think this will be very interesting as an OS.

• Reply 55 of 75
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I will never understand why people thought this was important enough to "plead" about or are particularly pleased now that it's happened.  

In the first place, you have to open the phone and thus go right by a much larger, clearer, easier to read representation of the time to even see this clock icon.  Also the "clock's" main utility is actually as a timer, not as a time piece.  it takes far too many swipes and taps to get the clock to show you the time for it to be even passing useful as such.  

Finally, as well as being incredibly tiny and hard to see, it's a f*cking analogue clock.  It takes extra time to look at the dial and interpret from the position of the hands what the heck the time even is, whereas a proper digital clock (like the one on the lock screen of the f*cking phone), simply tells you right out.  

It's a practically useless feature that mainly harkens back to the old-timey days of clocks on the wall.  It was rightly added as an afterthought, not as a "pleaded for" improvement.  It has zero practical value and is really in the same category as things like the shredder animation in Passbook (it's almost the definition of skeuomorphic), which everyone is currently celebrating the demise of.  

I'm in full agreement. The only other one, aside from the date, that would have been useful at all is the weather icon (showing the temperature and weather status), yet they didn't do that.

Why don't they work on adding some user customization to the keyboard dictionary or enhance the keyboard behavior or, better yet, fix the weird behaviors inherent in text editing (if I touch at the end of a line, the insertion point should not wrap around to the left side of the screen on the line below! That's keyboard behavior!). And fix text selection scrolling of text views! And make developers be required to use native control behaviors!

Where are THESE enhancements? The actual practical usability?
  • Reply 56 of 75
    I don't think it's possible to make any comment on the design without experiencing it in action on a retina display. If when used the function is natural and intuitive, then I think the function will win over any design elements that I may not find appealing. You can't please everyone, but continuity and fluidity will always be appreciated.
  • Reply 57 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dysamoria wrote: »
    Frankly, it seems cluttered, vague, and hard to look at/read. Too much brightness/white space, not enough object distinction, too flat, fonts are too thin, and it's going to CRAWL on an iPhone 4. I can't afford a new phone just to update the OS. This is how they do their planned obsolescence. Free OS updates encourage people to slow down their devices so they feel inclined toward buying an upgraded device.

I'm not looking forward to this at all. There wasn't a single practical feature that jumped out at me, but there's lots of eye candy and change for the sake of change. I don't see anything that actually helps the users in here. It reminds me of Android and WinRT, not iPhone. iPhone has all this iconic real estate taken in pop culture and they're going to obsolete it all with this update. That will reduce the iconic nature of the product.

This is the first time I've ever felt negative about an iOS update after its presentation.
    Then don't update. Pretty simple solution.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    Perhaps they need to sell iOS devices alongside weapons, farm equipment, military apparel and guns, or the lock screen should profile one of those baby eating dogs with a studded leather collar with a human bone in its mouth; why not just be more blatant and have the lock screen display a vagina (or would that seem as the opposite, too feminine, in which case a penis would be perceived as being more masculine on a lock screen?? but that wouldn't work for obvious reasons either).

Do you mean colours, or is there something more generally feminine about this new *software*, *Software*, *SOFTWARE*?! When did software (except that which is dedicated to the search for sanitary napkins, birth control pills and bras) become so prone to gender and/or sexual identity?

Is it colours (as I've seen so many neanderthals mention in the past week)? Didn't we all leave behind us along with our baby booties (which are all about indicating sex of newborns without having to peek inside their diapers)??

If any users are going to leave iOS devices due to its lacking in features appealing to a demographic consisting of beard growing, leather wearing, Marlboro smoking, wife beating and Harley-Davidson driving phone and tablet users (however big that group is), good effing riddance - they can all go bang a woman over the head, drag her by the hair back into their caves from whence they came and use the outdated (after 2 months) Android device they probably stole.

I'm looking for some clues in my man bag, it's here somewhere, right next to my iPad mini - the answer just has to be here or in the glovebox of my sweet tricked out powder puff pink convertible Viper.
    Thank you for such a long reply. It really gave me a sense of your actual perception of what the role of testosterone is in the human body. Even women have a certain amount of it. Was I referring to the color pallet? Sure, that's a factor. I was also referring to the cartoonish (and feminine, in my opinion) icons. Having a rainbow flower as an icon for my photos app seems pretty girly and has a similar effect that bubbly (think high school girl) penmanship would have in a business/executive setting. There was a lot I didn't like about forestalls skeuomorphic design throughout previous versions of IOS but it had a certain class to it. Maybe you need to read up on the roles of hormones before you mouth off. When I said "inject some testosterone" it was my way of avoiding having to write a huge comment like this. However, the sexist individuals like yourself apparently need more of an explanation.
  • Reply 59 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0378 View Post

Thank you for such a long reply. It really gave me a sense of your actual perception of what the role of testosterone is in the human body. Even women have a certain amount of it. Was I referring to the color pallet? Sure, that's a factor. I was also referring to the cartoonish (and feminine, in my opinion) icons. Having a rainbow flower as an icon for my photos app seems pretty girly and has a similar effect that bubbly (think high school girl) penmanship would have in a business/executive setting. There was a lot I didn't like about forestalls skeuomorphic design throughout previous versions of IOS but it had a certain class to it. Maybe you need to read up on the roles of hormones before you mouth off. When I said "inject some testosterone" it was my way of avoiding having to write a huge comment like this. However, the sexist individuals like yourself apparently need more of an explanation.

Thanks for that erudite explanation in how best to turn someone's sexist attitude into someone else's problem, and even better demonstrated is how magically an offender can suddenly be turned into a victim simply through faulty perceptions of his own.

I think the whole discussion about feminine vs. masculine elements in a UI is a bunch of crap. I think further that trying to tie those elements to hormones is even stinkier doggie doo. You brought up the masculine issue, I simply think that gender or sex based bias in a UI is merely in the eyes of the beholder, and further, as I've said, I think it's all a bunch of el toro poo poo.

Claiming feminine bias (in a UI) is what some might claim is done mostly or only by men trying to hold on to their remaining masculinity for being tainted by something they alone perceive as being "girly" because they (horror of horrors!!) touched a device with a UI sporting bubbles or displaying a colour in an app icon that isn't army fatigues green. How silly.

Look hard enough and even the paranoid can imagine losing one's sex-based or gender identity in the easiest ways possible, around every corner, even behind every lock screen on every phone.

Personally, I prefer a less serious take on things.

• Reply 60 of 75
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You realise how completely ridiculous it is to say it's Apple's fault the battery life "sucks" while at the same time identifying a third party app as the source of your battery life problem?  

You realize how stupid your comment is when the only thing that changed was the OS?

It worked fine in iOS 6.  It kills batteries in iOS 7.  Is that really a difficult concept for you?