Inside iOS 7: Animations work with flat graphics to create sense of space

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Good grief it's beta 1 software that should only be used by developers right now. People complained that iOS needed better multitasking or "real multitasking" and now that we're getting it people are whining about battery life. Does anyone not think battery life is a primary concern for Apple? That's probably the biggest reason iOS doesn't have widgets on the home screen. I doubt Apple implemented better multitasking without considering battery life implications. You can't use beta software as a gauge for what battery life will be once the product ships.

Was there something in what I said where I indicated I wasn't aware that it was beta?  Is the fanboys syndrome so strong that I cannot state that the current battery life sucks?  Simply making a statement is now an attack against you or Apple?

I could have sworn we were discussing our experiences with beta1.  Thank god I didn't even mention the bugs I've found, my god, I had better put on my asbestos suit...

• Reply 62 of 75
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

As someone who doesn't have access to the beta. Thanks for the GIF's - it's really insightful to see these animations. Presumably they've been slowed down here. Hopefully the final implementation will be as crisp as iOS 6. I could see it being really annoying otherwise.

The paralax effect looks really nice. The way application icons and font "pop" from the background could make "busier" wallpaper like a family photo more of a viable option. Easily one of my favourite visual changes. Safari tabs being the other.

I'm concerned about the impact enhanced multitasking will have on battery life though. I don't want an app that polls location data updating in the background and sapping battery or mobile data though.

At first I thought the new icons were lackluster, but since then I have warmed to them. On the spectrum of gaudy to austere Jony has found a comfortable middle ground. The designeratti do need to stop obessing about them not looking similar enough. Ultimately they are going to have to coexist with 3rd party application icons which, other than shape, are not going to conform to any unified design language. The settings icon is just super wrong though. It looks like a clock mechanism or an oven gas ring. Reminders also looks too much like a notes app. Safari as a compass is kind of stupid given that there is also a real compass. If ever there was an appropriate time to change safari's logo now would be it.

It is quite incredible what they have achieved in such a short space of time. The last minute changes to the icons in the marketing material make it quite clear that this is very much a work in progress.

• Reply 63 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The lock screen is a bit of a mess, with arrows on the top and bottom of the screen only serving to confuse and complicate the elegant iOS lock screen, with no arrow where it matters: pointing the unlock direction.

I disagree. Multitouch gestures are commonplace now. I think anyone familiar with the iPhone lock screen will already know to swipe to the right to unlock it, and newcomers should find the scrolling highlight in the "swipe to unlock" text intuitive enough to unlock the phone with ease. I also think the top and bottom chevrons are equally intuitive. If anyone is confounded by them, they should understand how they work after the first usage. Overall, I think the changes thus far are brilliant and beautiful. Can't wait until iOS 7's released in the Fall!

• Reply 64 of 75
    gazoobee wrote: »
    It's a practically useless feature that mainly harkens back to the old-timey days of clocks on the wall.  It was rightly added as an afterthought, not as a "pleaded for" improvement.  It has zero practical value and is really in the same category as things like the shredder animation in Passbook (it's almost the definition of skeuomorphic), which everyone is currently celebrating the demise of.  

I think the issue concerns showing app data or what could be perceived as app data on an icon. If it's going to look like app data, it should be real data. It shouldn't be like the icon for iCal in OS X was for the longest time. Or like the Weather icon has been in iOS with the constant display of 73 degrees. Or perpetually stuck showing a time of 10:15.
  • Reply 65 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The parallaxing feature where you tilt your home screen to see "behind the icons" is so odd a UI idea from Apple that I'm left a sort of bewildered. It serves as nothing but a distraction from an otherwise elegantly simple home screen interface.

I disagree.

Someone said many years back "Using Windows is like being on a business trip. Using Macintosh is like going on holiday." Part of the reason for that is that Apple put small flourishes into the OS all over the place that make you smile. Usually they have a functional side but occasionally they don't. This to me does emphasise the ideas of 'layers' that Jony Ive wants to communicate with iOS 7 but it's also a bit of playfulness too.

If we end up only with purely functional interfaces to iOS and OS X I think it would be rather a shame. That look of surprise and a smile on your face is surely worth working for?

• Reply 66 of 75
    tbell wrote: »

The icons can be adjusted to size

Could you explain this? Is this a user feature or a developer feature?
  • Reply 67 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

Perhaps they need to sell iOS devices alongside weapons, farm equipment, military apparel and guns, or the lock screen should profile one of those baby eating dogs with a studded leather collar with a human bone in its mouth; why not just be more blatant and have the lock screen display a vagina (or would that seem as the opposite, too feminine, in which case a penis would be perceived as being more masculine on a lock screen?? but that wouldn't work for obvious reasons either).

Do you mean colours, or is there something more generally feminine about this new *software*, *Software*, *SOFTWARE*?! When did software (except that which is dedicated to the search for sanitary napkins, birth control pills and bras) become so prone to gender and/or sexual identity?

Is it colours (as I've seen so many neanderthals mention in the past week)? Didn't we all leave behind us along with our baby booties (which are all about indicating sex of newborns without having to peek inside their diapers)??

If any users are going to leave iOS devices due to its lacking in features appealing to a demographic consisting of beard growing, leather wearing, Marlboro smoking, wife beating and Harley-Davidson driving phone and tablet users (however big that group is), good effing riddance - they can all go bang a woman over the head, drag her by the hair back into their caves from whence they came and use the outdated (after 2 months) Android device they probably stole.

I'm looking for some clues in my man bag, it's here somewhere, right next to my iPad mini - the answer just has to be here or in the glovebox of my sweet tricked out powder puff pink convertible Viper.

It's a good thing you didn't wait to adopt this opinion until after you'd actually played with the software.

Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on this software so I can test it out, learn the new OS and decide based on actual usage how it works and what it's like. From what I've seen in the keynote and a couple of the WWDC presentations, I think this will be very interesting as an OS.

+10! :)

An inspired response to such a ridiculous comment by james0378. I think that he and John Dvorak would get on very well together as you can see here and here:

Quote:

But the testosterone issue was lost already. The previous paradigm of computing - command-based, batch-processed, barely coherent - was deeply associated in the MIS community with masculinity. One's virility was associated with the gunmetal boxes and dense, nonintuitive interfaces of those dense beasts. If you weren't familiar with ">A prompts," if you didn't know what CONFIG.SYS meant, you had no hair on your chest. (Even women, when it came to computing, had to have hair on their chests, at least virtually.) And what kind of person used the mouse? A wimp, obviously. Some New Age softie who babbled about using the right side of his or her brain. Columnist John Dvorak contrasted the Mac with the new version of IBM's computer, the AT, and called the latter "a man's computer designed by men for men."

There's also an excellent article here on the waste of female talent, objectification of women and the idiocy of the whole man/macho/computer thing. It would be worth reading and digesting for quite a few posters on these forums.

I really hope that james0378 doesn't use one of those 'girly' Macintoshes. What would his friends think?

• Reply 68 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    65c816 wrote: »
    Was there something in what I said where I indicated I wasn't aware that it was beta?  Is the fanboys syndrome so strong that I cannot state that the current battery life sucks?  Simply making a statement is now an attack against you or Apple?

I could have sworn we were discussing our experiences with beta1.  Thank god I didn't even mention the bugs I've found, my god, I had better put on my asbestos suit...
    I'm not surprised battery life might suck in version 1 beta software. Especially when the software includes a lot or debugging code that won't be there when iOS 7 ships. Does anyone really believe Apple will ship iOS 7 full of bugs and sucky battery life?
  • Reply 69 of 75
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

+10! :)

An inspired response to such a ridiculous comment. I think that he and John Dvorak would get on very well together as you can see here and here:

There's also an excellent article here on the waste of female talent, objectification of women and the idiocy of the whole man/macho/computer thing. It would be worth reading and digesting for quite a few posters on these forums.

Those are very interesting articles, thanks for the links - those should be required reading in every Computer Science 101 course in every university the world over. The whole absurdity of it.

The other place this issue rears its ugly head has to do with tech specs in computing devices, where the discussion devolves into one about chip numbers and RAM and other component details - it's akin to a bunch of men standing around a neighbour's new car staring at the engine with the hood up poking and prodding various parts, mostly decrying and criticising (because it's more manly to be negative), but these conversations never talk about the user experience, speed of app loading, app switching, smoothness of rendering graphics, undetectable refreshes, usage based requirements, etc. It's always more of anything and higher numbers is good and is required to be considered a worthy device (of which there are very few in the world), and less or fewer of anything, regardless whether those items are needed or taken advantage of in the device, is bad, bad, bad and the person who buys one with less or fewer of anything is stupid and doesn't know the difference between a bit and a nibble, and obviously has too much estrogen flowing through the veins (or simply is a girl). If you happen to disagree with them, step back, because the grease monkeys standing around will all spit tobacco on your feet and laugh and fart and burp as they declare their superiority in their masculinity, while jumping up and down and scratching their arm pits like the apes they are. image

The whole men deriving and bolstering their manhood and masculinity from products reminds me of a great skit in Little Britain USA here.

• Reply 70 of 75
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member

Quote:

By Royal Decree I declare the worst icon to be the Safari icon (not just on iOS, but across all platforms, I dislike the compass metaphor). Now let's duel. ;-)

I just find is odd that the Safari icon looks more like a compass at a glance, when viewed from a couple of feet away etc, than the actual compass app.  Every other app is (or is intended to be) indicative of it's use in some way, mail looks like mail, clock looks like a clock, compass look like a compass, camera looks like, well, clipart actually, but still, it looks like something you take pictures with.  Safari is not following this way of thinking, and the compass is more indicative of branding, or a logo, than it's intended use.  I think they could perhaps think about retaining the Atlas bit from the old logo and dropping the compass, in order to try to bring some meaning to it.

But hey, BETA. B E T A.  And even if they don't change now, they will change in subsequent releases, the phone icon has changed just about every release.  Relax!

• Reply 71 of 75

Quote:

The whole men deriving and bolstering their manhood and masculinity from products reminds me of a great skit in Little Britain USA here.

Excellent. And not forgetting this classic from Not The 9 O'Clock News on the BBC years back.

OK. That's enough of that for now from me. Back to your usual viewing. image

• Reply 72 of 75
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I thought the Slide To Unlock bar was a fail safe of sorts.

In other words, you had to put your finger on that tab to unlock the phone, and prevent accidental activation. Such as, putting the phone in a pocket, and accidentally pressing the power button, or home button, activating the screen. Now that the entire screen is one big slide to unlock button, it strikes me that accidental activations are much more likely than they are currently. And once the screen is active and the phone unlocked that increases accidental interactions with apps.

It does not have the inertia (objects tend to stay in motion) like the typical swipe operation that continues the page motion after you withdraw your finger. You do have to fully slide the screen from left to right. In fact, slide left to right and back again slowly without completing the operation, you can see the background wall paper slowly go out of focus and then back into focus. I found it quite elegant.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm not surprised battery life might suck in version 1 beta software. Especially when the software includes a lot or debugging code that won't be there when iOS 7 ships. Does anyone really believe Apple will ship iOS 7 full of bugs and sucky battery life?

^

Between app crashes stranding who-knows-what, the gps location staying active when not needed (i.e. all apps are shutdown), what you've stated above and lots more, it's no wonder that battery life is suffering. It's been that way since dev beta have been released. I've had battery life get drastically worse in later betas as well.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    tjduffytjduffy Posts: 28member
    My big complaint with all these icons is this. Why can't I build my own home screen with those icons that I use the most? This would be an uncluttered home screen the rest are in the background. Next why can't these icons be active say my photo icon shows the last photo I looked at, the Safari Icon shows the last search I did. Etc. Then why can I not change the size of these icons. You get the point.