Apple working with Logitech and Moga for MFi game controllers, details framework at WWDC

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    According to NVidia, the revenue split between PCs and consoles is about even:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-pc-console-sales-battlefield-3-bf3-pc-gaming,13499.html

but sales data tends to show PC sales volumes lower:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/sorry-to-say-it-but-keyboard-and-mouse-are-losing-the-fps-market/
    http://www.steamgifts.com/forum/YAKms/2005-2012-pc-vs-console-gaming-population-growth-rates

PC gamers can't get used games so the revenue could be higher per sale, depending on whose revenue they are measuring. Some of the highest revenue game are MMOs too ( http://www.cinemablend.com/games/China-Generate-6-1-Billion-From-MMOs-2012-43073.html ) and there are things like Facebook games that add to PC revenue. One problem in the figures seems to come from digital sales, which aren't usually reported. NVidia suggests digital vs retail is 10:1.

Here is some data on Black Ops:

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/44950/call-of-duty-black-ops/

They put PC sales at 1.5m, XBox 14m, PS3 12m. Some PC gamers don't take it lightly of course:

"Bullshit number, i hate how vgchart show
    fake numberw in pc release, VGCHART DO
    NOT UNDERESTIMATE PC!!! This game sold
    only in steam about 2 millions unit, so
    why you write this stupid fake numbers
    !!!! PC FTW !!"

That person doesn't realise the game was a Steam exclusive so even if it was 2 million, that's still low.

The console units are reported to be Wii 100m, XBox 78m, PS3 78m. There are 350m PCs sold every year so PC gaming will grow. You'd expect with so many PCs sold that there would be a lot more than just 1.5m copies of CoD sold. Piracy is suggested to be a part of this:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/29/report-call-of-duty-black-ops-most-pirated-game-in-2010/

4.27m copies estimated. That actually makes sense because Activision never lowers the price - even today, over 2.5 years after launch, it's $40 on Steam. If consoles get more MMO games, clamp down on used games, perhaps offer varied inputs, have subscription gaming options, they could end up making a fair bit more money and skew the revenue numbers. The more that IGPs improve, the more that low-end PCs will be able offer a decent experience.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Come off it. No, seriously. Come. Off. It. I explicitly stated computer vs. console. You STILL haven't built an accurate representation of that, whereas I did it in seconds.

I specifically stated it.

He didn't need to include the Mac numbers to make his point valid. Further, by providing them later, his point was still true. Denying the lack of of evidence/data does not make his argument false. His exclusion of the data does not falsify his claim unless that data would have proven your point. His lie of omission was inconsequential of to the facts and the point of his argument. 

The fact is, a "gamer" is personal. Just because a PC game may be more complex does not make a console player any less of a "gamer". But regardless of your opinion, console gaming is more popular than PC gaming. 

• Reply 63 of 72
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    vorsos wrote: »
    Skil, not everything is about you. Maybe stop taking everything personally, and these threads would only need to be about half as long.
    I enjoy tallest skis posts as he has interesting things to say
  • Reply 64 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bmason1270 wrote: »
    He didn't need to include the Mac numbers to make his point valid.

Are you looking at the chart, either?
    Further, by providing them later, his point was still true.

Are you looking at MY edit of the chart?
    The fact is, a "gamer" is personal. Just because a PC game may be more complex does not make a console player any less of a "gamer".

Oh, heavens no! No no no. Not at all. You're absolutely right.
    But regardless of your opinion, console gaming is more popular than PC gaming. 

And yet far, far more games are made for computers than consoles.
  • Reply 65 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

I enjoy tallest skis posts as he has interesting things to say

Quote:

Making more games does not translate to more sales. 

Of this weeks Top Ten games according to Gamespot Only 3 are PC exclusives. 

If, used console games were at all factored in, it would be a console landslide. 

• Reply 66 of 72

Quote:

Yup, PC gaming is HUUUUGE!!

• Reply 67 of 72
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

My points have been made, Not gonna bother with more Tit for tat arguments on here, It went from a conversation about opinion & fact to semantics & word play. 

bmason1270 & Marvin made great points & showed interesting stuff. 

I think we all can agree, the video game industry as a whole is pretty massive & doing well, so vendors & developers trying new things, can't be a bad thing, keeping everything to keyboard & mouse, doesn't really push innovation, I'm down for experimentation.

In the future, more augmented reality & VR will probably make a return, at CES they had a few different headsets come out, phone tech has pushed & miniaturized & lowered the price of parts, if apple decided to bring out a controller, it might not be just a controller, interesting times. 

• Reply 68 of 72
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Its a figure of speech, I dont really believe I am cooking, but I dont like being in the middle of a mess of wifi signals. With the router behind me and the TV in front, I am getting bombarded by wifi waves when I do this.

A few things to ease your mind:

1. What these frequencies do in a microwave oven is simply cause molecules that have poles (mostly water) to align with the waves. But the waves are alternating, so the water molecules are in constant motion. Molecules in motion are heat. Microwaves (too weak to generate such heat) are all around us, even in the outdoors, and there's no evidence they do anything else to us. You may as well worry about radio and TV signals, which are hitting us all 24/7.

2. Unless you have a special directional antenna, it doesn't matter where your WiFi devices are located... the signals form the two devices get broadcast in all directions, NOT focused directly between each other. (Even with the new beamforming that seems to be true.) So sit where you like.

3. People are afraid because WiFi and cellular signals are radiation. But the word radiation includes lots of harmless things, such as the light from a bulb. Only ionizing radiation, specifically, is harmful, because it strips away electrons (which can change chemical bonds). Microwaves, radio waves, and good-old-fashioned visible light do not strip electrons, do not change chemical bonds, and are non-ionizing. Bask in their glory :)

• Reply 69 of 72
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    They have a photo of one of the prototype controllers here:

http://kotaku.com/heres-a-look-at-one-of-the-iphones-new-game-controlle-513662469

I thought the sketch in the slides looked overly long but that's what they look like - still kinda pocketable I suppose. The pads also aren't bluetooth with their own battery so that helps avoid latency and as you can see there's a Lightning connector so they may not offer support for anything below the iPhone 5. This makes sense because when the new iPhone arrives, they'll either have 5S, 5 and 4S or 5S premium and 5S crappy (the latter being iPhone 5 components in a cheaper body starting at 8GB). Either way, most units will have Lightning and the benefit this has is that it defines a minimum quality threshold for graphics so AAA publishers only have to target iPhone 5 hardware and above.

If publishers get some decent games out for the launch, the iPod, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV eco-system will wipe out the gaming handhelds over Christmas. Exclusive Deus Ex The Fall with a controller Airplayed to the TV at 1080p, try that on for size DS and Vita:

[VIDEO]

Not a lot of people like the Deus Ex demos because it looks like one of those rubbish Gameloft rip-offs but people have to remember that it's not running on PowerVR 6 hardware and doesn't have a controller attached. Add those two things in and that game will be just fine. Square Enix or Eidos could even get some keynote time to show it off. Maybe even Phil Fish with Fez/Fez 2.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    The fall release for these falls in line with the next iPhone as well, I'm sure the 5S will have a powerful processor to show off new games using the remotes during the reveal. The upgraded graphics and capabilities, and the remotes paired with an Apple TV will be the new way to game.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    edelbrpedelbrp Posts: 24member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

^ This.

Whilst Windows has had controller support since serial port joysticks, I have never found the mac to be in any way cooperative. Hopefully that'll now change.

That stand-alone controller is so for Apple TV!

(*Looks down at PS3 controller used to play "Sky Scramblers - Storm Raiders" which was on sale for 99 cents.*)  It's a lot easier to use at least PS3 controllers on a Mac than under Windows.  I know because I'm an avid gamer and use Bootcamp for Windows gaming.  No special drivers or anything needed (OK, maybe a paperclip to reset the controller for pairing, but that's all!)  OS-X has controller drivers built in, but you might need to turn on "Enable access for assistive devices" under Accessibility in System Prefs to make it work.

• Reply 72 of 72
    iroebuciroebuc Posts: 5member
    yeah good bye sony vita and nintendo

the form fitting controller seems ok

not to excited or "new mac pro" wowed by the look of the stand alone controller

would love to feel a cool aluminium playstation formed controller to match my apple tv remote (probably usb/lightning cable charged from a new usb/lightning enabled apple tv update)

i like how the playstaion controller is usb charged vs batteries
    (i am hoping also for a wifi/bt, backlit, black keyed, keyboard thats usb charged and has a number pad and a white xmas)