Purported 'iPhone 5S' logic board has tweaked screw placement, lacks CPU

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Imagine the uproar if two screws moved, or even worse if one was removed altogether.

We also have not heard if Apple will offer the newly placed screw in multiple colors.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

OMG! miniscule internal changes that no one will see. I'm out! These changes are going to ruin everything ¡

• Reply 23 of 31
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    "As for the absent processor, rumors from earlier this year claimed that Apple won't debut a full-fledged next-generation "A7" chip until 2014. That processor is rumored to be built by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. in a 28-nanometer process."

This is something I've been suspecting for a while. Due to a lack of 20/22 nm processes this year they can't significantly bump up the processing power of a next-gen SoC without increasing power consumption significantly, which is not something you want to do in a handheld device. So it might be likely that the upgraded iPhone's and iPad's expected in a few months will retain their A6/A6x and make do with upgrades elsewhere in the design. Which is fine for this year as the A6/A6x is not lacking in power on the current devices. Also iOS 7 is supposed to be much more efficient than previous iterations of the OS - which should help keep the 5s, iPad 5 and Mini 2 competitive...we'll see.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Loyal Apple customers will simply defer upgrading their iPhones until the iPhone 6 comes out. Less loyal Apple customers may simply defect to the Samsung S4. Either way Apple sales will be less than stellar.

Except that does not seem to be happening and the Galaxy S4 sales are not that spectacular with web usage already starting to plateau after just 50 days:

The trend is already showing the 1080p screens usage slowing just a couple weeks after launch while the iPhone 5 was showing a significant inflection up at the same point in its cycle. At his point in the cycle, about 20 million iPhone 5's had been placed in peoples hands so (if we assume a user uses an iPhone5 about the same was a person uses an HTC One/GS4) we are looking like about 8 million GS4's an dHTC Ones are in actual use by end users world wide. We are talking some serious channel inventory on the GS4 and/or HTC One.

• Reply 25 of 31
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Except that does not seem to be happening and the Galaxy S4 sales are not that spectacular with web usage already starting to plateau after just 50 days:

The trend is already showing the 1080p screens usage slowing just a couple weeks after launch while the iPhone 5 was showing a significant inflection up at the same point in its cycle. At his point in the cycle, about 20 million iPhone 5's had been placed in peoples hands so (if we assume a user uses an iPhone5 about the same was a person uses an HTC One/GS4) we are looking like about 8 million GS4's an dHTC Ones are in actual use by end users world wide. We are talking some serious channel inventory on the GS4 and/or HTC One.

Wow.  So, iPhone 5 web usage was more than double that of the S4 and the HTC One ... combined?  I would have expected the iPhone to have an advantage, but not that large.

Thanks for the link.

• Reply 26 of 31
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Looks like two of the smaller chips are missing (probably integrated into the main SoC).
  • Reply 27 of 31
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

The danger of a physical design that remains fundamentally the same is twofold. Loyal Apple customers will simply defer upgrading their iPhones until the iPhone 5 comes out. Less loyal Apple customers may simply defect to the Samsung S4 S2. Either way Apple sales will be less than stellar.

- June 17, 2011

Sounds familiar...

• Reply 28 of 31
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Sounds familiar...

These posts are just so cookie-cutter, as you demonstrated.

Someone should make an app that randomly generates anti-Apple messages, just for fun. 

• Reply 29 of 31
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

The lack of processor means...direct connection to your brain!!!!

• Reply 30 of 31
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member

Look guys, I just want a bigger screen. Why does shitty Samsung offer one, but Apple not? I believe I'm not alone in my desire. I have no intention of jumping ship to Samsung. iOS 7 alone is enough to make me stick with Apple. But a 4.5" screen or a 5" one would be great. Is it too much to ask for an iPhone with different screen size options. Seriously? 

• Reply 31 of 31
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

Look guys, I just want a bigger screen. Why does shitty Samsung offer one, but Apple not? I believe I'm not alone in my desire. I have no intention of jumping ship to Samsung. iOS 7 alone is enough to make me stick with Apple. But a 4.5" screen or a 5" one would be great. Is it too much to ask for an iPhone with different screen size options. Seriously? 

It has to be a question of priorities and timing and technologies (software and hardware). If you are going to make a limited size of handsets (something Apple has always done) you are best to target what the market wants the most. The reality is, the MARKET IS NOT WANTING BIG SCREENS. This is not to say there are not many people wnating bigger screens but many many more people are purchasing and using screen sizes of 4" and LESS. Last time I checked (about 3 months back) over 75% of all smartphones had 4" screens and smaller.