Emulator screenshots show what iOS 7 may look like on iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple didn't show off the newest version of iOS running on an iPad, but new screens have emerged online showing what Apple's overhaul of its mobile platform may like on its bestselling tablet.

morespace

The images emerged last week in a series of posts from Twitter user @SonnyDickson. They are said to come from an iOS 7 emulator that Apple supplies to developers. Dickson likely developed the screens by modifying the iOS Simulator ? a feature in Apple's Xcode iOS programming platform ? to run the released iOS 7 beta as though the device running it were an iPad.

As Apple has not yet released an iPad version of the beta, it is difficult to say how closely the actual software will hew to this emulation. A number of features, though, appear to be ill-placed or to have no real function on the iPad.

On the iPad, iOS 7 looks largely the same as it does on the iPhone, but more spread out. As is the case with iOS 6, Apple leverages the increased screen real estate the tablet affords it in order to improve certain areas of the OS' functionality.

ios

The iPad version of Safari, for instance, may feature a switch on the keyboard that turns on the browser's private browsing feature. That switch is not present in the iPhone build of iOS 7.

Other areas of the iPad version appear not only to take advantage of the increased screen space, but to use the new flat aesthetic to increase usability. In iOS 6, the Contacts app's skeuomorphic design ? it takes the form of an actual address book ? means the app uses only two-thirds of the screen in portrait layout. The iOS 7 version, though, appears to use much more of the screen.

oy

Control Center in this emulation, though, still features the flashlight function that is present in the iPhone/iPod touch build. The iPad doesn't have an LED flash, though, so it is uncertain whether this feature was left in my mistake or if Apple will find another way to make the iPad function as a light.

Additionally, Control Center takes up only a fraction of the screen on an iPad, whereas the iPhone version slides up from the bottom to cover the whole screen.

yep

As aforesaid, these images are from an emulator modified to run an iPad version of the OS, so they may not actually represent what Apple will put into the final version of iOS 7 when it hits the popular tablet. Additionally, Apple's Jony Ive and his design crew are said to be still working on the look for the new system, so even more changes may be in store.

ios

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member

I don't understand why this has been posted. After several days of this making the rounds on the lesser sites, I hoped AI was acting intelligent enough not to post about it. This is pretty far from what the OS will actually look like on iPad. It's just the iPhone version, with Autolayout reorganizing it to fit on the screen. It's the iPhone view -- not the iPad. It doesn't come close, really. This really doesn't even warrant being put on the Backpage.

• Reply 2 of 17
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I don't understand why this has been posted. After several days of this making the rounds on the lesser sites, I hoped AI was acting intelligent enough not to post about it. This is pretty far from what the OS will actually look like on iPad. It's just the iPhone version, with Autolayout reorganizing it to fit on the screen. It's the iPhone view -- not the iPad. It doesn't come close, really. This really doesn't even warrant being put on the Backpage.

My thoughts exactly... These screen shots tell us absolutely nothing about what the iOS 7 on the iPad will look like.

• Reply 3 of 17
    I was corrected earlier this day myself that there is no "emulator" but it is actually a simulator. On it no apps can be run because it just "simulates" iOS within X86 but does not "emulate" the ARM architecture.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member
    "As aforesaid". :) I applaud the awkwardness of this. Is there a new intern? Hello new intern. Also, if it's really aforesaid you can leave it out.

Thanks for posting screenshots. I had not seen this before. I'm looking forward to seeing this on my iPad2 if it'll take the upgrade.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

All that's confirmed here is that a black or really dark wallpaper makes the whole OS look like shit.  

Also, isn't it far more likely that iPads will be getting flashes for their cameras than not? 

• Reply 6 of 17
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    smiles77 wrote: »
    So AI is hit whoring like MacRumors. Sad. :no:

I'm assuming there's a reason the iPad beta hasn't been released yet - IT'S NOT FINISHED.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

"As aforesaid". image I applaud the awkwardness of this. Is there a new intern? Hello new intern. Also, if it's really aforesaid you can leave it out. ...

That's a mighty ungainly grammatical construction indeed.  image

"Aforementioned" would be more common usage by far, and the "as," is kind of redundant.  You'd want to say "the aforesaid" or "the aforementioned" instead of using the "as."

"As mentioned" or "as previously mentioned" (if you must use the "as") is a much clearer and more modern turn of phrase. 

• Reply 8 of 17
    This is what John Gruber wrote on his blog:
    iOS 7 is so far from done that maybe there is a story here, in that Apple has a mountain of work ahead to get iOS 7 ready for actual release this fall (presumably, coincident with the release of new iPhone and iPad devices). But to judge iOS 7 beta 1 as you would a release version is silly.

I wouldn't be surprised if iOS 7 doesn't ship until October. Apple's not going to let another maps happen. If that means delaying iOS 7 then I can see them doing it.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    rogifan wrote: »
    smiles77 wrote: »
    So AI is hit whoring like MacRumors. Sad. :no:

I'm assuming there's a reason the iPad beta hasn't been released yet - IT'S NOT FINISHED.

It may be more than "not being finished"...

I have a gut feeling that iPad support is missing because of new hardware, new SDK capabilities that only make sense on a larger screen or something else we haven't thought about... Maps may be involved, AppleTV, or direct iPad interface to Macs..
  • Reply 10 of 17
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

That's a mighty ungainly grammatical construction indeed.  image

"Aforementioned" would be more common usage by far, and the "as," is kind of redundant.  You'd want to say "the aforesaid" or "the aforementioned" instead of using the "as."

"As mentioned" or "as previously mentioned" (if you must use the "as") is a much clearer and more modern turn of phrase. 

See AI- when you post crap articles, it leads to us making our own conversations. image

• Reply 11 of 17
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

I disagree: yes, it's far from what we'll see (even farther than the beta running on iPhone is) but it's also a hint towards something some of us are interested in seeing. I'm glad MR posted it, and don't mind seeing again on AI. Easily skipped for those who don't want to spend time discussing it. And FAR better than yet another DigiTimes fiction!

I also don't think we're seing "just" autolayout. That doesn't explain the totally re-arranged Control Center.

• Reply 12 of 17

I have a gut feeling that iPad support is missing because of new hardware, new SDK capabilities that only make sense on a larger screen or something else we haven't thought about... Maps may be involved, AppleTV, or direct iPad interface to Macs..
    Could be. We know Apple has to be saving something for the fall when the new iPhone and iPads come out.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    Wet hen sea !!!!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    rogifan wrote: »

Could be. We know Apple has to be saving something for the fall when the new iPhone and iPads come out.

Yeah, or maybe just "activating" something the iPad 4 (and possibly the iPhone 5) already have -- like USB 3 support over Lightning. This would would Increase the effective throughput from 280 Mbit/s to 4Gbits/s... While nice for faster synching for both the iPhone and the iPad, it would benefit the iPad in another way -- as an additional Retina Display and Multitouch I/O device when attached to a Mac or PC. The iPad would be a 1st-class peripheral...

On Donder, On Blitzen...

Rudolph, the red-nosed iPad!
  • Reply 15 of 17
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Quote:

I was going to say the same thing. This has been regularly happening on AI. They always report things days after everyone else. I guess they're too busy reporting about good Mac deals from Mac Mall and Samsung news instead. 

• Reply 16 of 17
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I also don't think we're seing "just" autolayout. That doesn't explain the totally re-arranged Control Center.

That's a very week argument.  Control center is not an app but an OS feature.  Who is to say Apple doesn't detect screen size and simply have Control Center pick a layout accordingly?  Too many assumptions need to be made to jump to the conclusion you have.

• Reply 17 of 17
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

See AI- when you post crap articles, it leads to us making our own conversations. image

Nothing to talk about here. Might as well comment on the grammar and word choices. image