Briefly: Jony Ive's title at Apple shortened to 'SVP of Design'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
During Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference last week, Jony Ive was shown in a presentation video for iOS 7, but instead of carrying his usual designation of "SVP of Industrial Design," the company shortened the title to simply "SVP of Design."

Ive
Screenshot of Jony Ive's iOS 7 intro at WWDC 2013. | Source: Apple

The new title, which is also reflected on Ive's company bio page, is representative of the executive's new duties as not only Apple's main hardware designer, but also the head of the firm's Human Interface teams.

Ive took over some of the responsibilities held by former iOS chief Scott Forstall, who was ousted from Apple in October of 2012, including the curation of the overall look and feel of the company's mobile operating system.

The so-called "flat" design language set forth by Ive was on of the highlights of Apple's iOS 7 preview.

It is expected that Ive will continue to work with both hardware and software teams at Apple to bring greater parity between future devices' aesthetics and the user interface that powers them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I absolutely hate what he has done to iOS 7.
  • Reply 2 of 53

His title should have been "Head of Too Little, Too Late" and then fired for giving us Android/jailbreak level tweaks to functionality and a 2 year old, entirely unoriginal redesign that can't possibly stand for another 5 years.

• Reply 3 of 53
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    The so-called "flat" design language

This is wrong on so many levels.

O/T: iOS7 is such a fantastic springboard to an exceedingly bright future. It's like the Aqua OSX 10.0 compared to drab NextStep. Can't wait for the engineers to do a couple of feature releases and some under-the-hood Snow/Mountain rewrites!
  • Reply 4 of 53
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    [QUOTE]The new title, which is also reflected on Ive's company bio page, is representative of the executive's new duties as not only Apple's main hardware designer, but also the head of the firm's Human Interface teams.[/QUOTE]
    So as head of the Human Interface teams, he decides that everything needs to look as simple as patent artwork.
    Very little color and as few very thin lines as possible (i.e. Contacts and Calendars).
    Just make everything with one button (Play Music, Take Photo, Send Email).
  • Reply 5 of 53
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Now, if only they'd recognise him as being a Knight Commander of the British Empire...

• Reply 6 of 53
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    His title should have been "Head of Too Little, Too Late" and then fired for giving us Android/jailbreak level tweaks to functionality and a 2 year old, entirely unoriginal redesign that can't possibly stand for another 5 years.

thanks for your first post. i assume you'll either be sticking with ios 6 when 7 is released, or switching to another brand of phone? or maybe starting your own company so you can wow us with your original work?
  • Reply 7 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

You're not the only one.

Beta doesn't even begin to describe this.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    I personally am finding iOS 7 on my phone to be a delight. the static screen shot images dont do it justice.

That said with all the complaining, i will be interested to see in, say, 9-12 months time. Will you all have deserted?
  • Reply 9 of 53

Agreed.

- It looks like the Nokia N9 with a different background. It looks cheap.

- The parallax effect is jumpy. It looks good on a video, but not in reality.

- The clock from the lock screen and the icons on the menu screen are difficult to see on most backgrounds.

- The lines are too fine for older people. Probably looks good on paper, or on a PDF, after you zoom it. Retina display does not mean "hey let's see how small we can make our stuff"! 

- Several icons make no sense: game center, settings, passbook, kiosk. And the minimized version of several of them is unreadable: compass, game center.

- Several items move independently on the screen, but the effect is jumpy, for example with sms messages.

Overall a very poor execution. It very frustrating and stressing to work with this. You want to like it, but it is not likeable.

• Reply 10 of 53
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Styled his title eh? Reminds me of that scene in Braveheart where the prince and his friend Phillip are walking around the castle with servants holding mirrors, laughing and posing. And you're like, whoa, shouldn't he be focusing on the serious issues confronting his kingdom? But anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Agreed.

- The clock from the lock screen and the icons on the menu screen are difficult to see on most backgrounds.

- The lines are too fine for older people. Probably looks good on paper, or on a PDF, after you zoom it. Retina display does not mean "hey let's see how small we can make our stuff"! 

- Several icons make no sense: game center, settings, passbook, kiosk. And the minimized version of several of them is unreadable: compass, game center.

- Several items move independently on the screen, but the effect is jumpy, for example with sms messages.

Overall a very poor execution. It very frustrating and stressing to work with this. You want to like it, but it is not likeable.
    First of all it's in beta and second of all, you must cared some to comment. So thank for supporting this site by commenting and page views. Please move along we got many others waiting. Some are even stuck in traffic underneath the bridge.
    On another note, iOS 7 is for sure a different design. Is better than before, or worse? Everybody going to have a different answer to this. Some may like it some may not. It's just how it's go. It's fine for people to share the opinions about the design. But please at least reasonable, and not just be like you don't like it. If you're taking time trying to give your opinion. Then you should not whine and complain, you should give good reasons. You simply or like or YOU don't. But if you're going to take the time post. One might think that you would put just a little more than a list of petty problems that might end up being fixed.

~THE MAC1NT0SH
  • Reply 12 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    People make it sound like he did this redesign all on his own. :no:

Anyway have fun on iOS 6 or on something else if you hate an unreleased product that bad.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow news day.

• Reply 14 of 53
    Ive should have of stuck to hardware. This version of iOS looks like some type of bland color cartoon show. The icons are ridiculous. I agree that some of them don't make sense. The Passport app looks like some type of documents app and the Settings app looks like a pirate's ship wheel....arrrr

This is the first time I am going to hold out on an iOS release. That is until I am forced into it because of a new hardware purchase.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    ireland wrote: »

You're not the only one.

Beta doesn't even begin to describe this.

Ok. So there are a few of you malcontents out there pissed off enough to be constantly whining about how much you dislike iOS7.

We heard you twice the first time.

Suck it up.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
  • Reply 17 of 53
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

WHAT?!?!?

They changed his superimposed title to match his actual title?

What the hell is going on at Apple?

• Reply 18 of 53
    - The lines are too fine for older people. 

Sheesh. That must be the umpteenth time I've heard this.

Perhaps older people should act their age and wear glasses.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sheesh. That must be the umpteenth time I've heard this.

Perhaps older people should act their age and wear glasses.

Ha!

I'm glad you're not head of marketing image

• Reply 20 of 53
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by exasperator View Post

Agreed.

If you have the beta give your feedback to Apple.

Then the final release will be better for all of us!