iPad crashes Windows 8 launch party as Asus cuts its PC, tablet forecasts by 10%

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Haswell
  • Reply 22 of 35
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member

Off-tangent, but that presentation was just painful to watch. 

• Reply 23 of 35
    That video looked kinda weird. Weird intro to a product. Seems like they were laughing and then caught on it was serious.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    ASUS laptops and tablets, blow
  • Reply 25 of 35
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

Anything happens to our last windows 7 machine we will have to beg or bribe one of the youngsters to fix it, if not might as well learn Apple OS if we have to learn new language.

Trust me, it's a piece of cake. MS "incorporated" so many features similar to those in OS-X, that all you'll have to do is learn where they are on the Mac and you'll be well on your way.

• Reply 26 of 35
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

Anything happens to our last windows 7 machine we will have to beg or bribe one of the youngsters to fix it, if not might as well learn Apple OS if we have to learn new language.

Don't worry, there is help at hand

"Mac for Seniors (Computer Books for Seniors series) [Large Print] [Paperback]"

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-Seniors-Computer-Books/dp/9059050088/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371563959&sr=1-2&keywords=Macs+For+Seniors

• Reply 27 of 35
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member

Wild success only comes to those who are truly willing to embrace risk.  Most companies are risk-averse, hence they glom on to the Microsoft raft and drift along in a sea of "me too" products, never realizing their true potential. 

Asus should grow a set and unlash from the MS raft and switch all their products to Linux.  They would have to fully embrace it, no wishy-washy "lets see how it goes for a few months" nonsense.  They would also have to put some effort into writing or enhancing a number of apps for real people to use.  Significant marketing would also be required.

Right now Asus provides no real differentiation from all the other plastic PC junk.  They have 2 choices - continue to be just another uninteresting MS serf, or step up their game with a bold new direction (and products), win or lose.

• Reply 28 of 35
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Asus chairman Jonney Shih, who apparently styles himself as a sort of Steve Jobs, initially launched a hybrid "Padfone" in an oddly dramatic unveiling in 2011.

Ah yes.  The good old days.  When Apple-wannabes all thought that hardware gimmicks could fool people into buying their iPad-wannabes.  Back then, there was true diversity in the iPad-wannabe market.  The Apple-wannabes all  really thought they had a chance at success.

But Samsung showed all the wannabes that blatant, mindless copying of Apple designs was the way to dominate the Android hardware market.  Samsung has killed off the Acers, LGs, HTCs, and other Android iPad cloners by drowning them with their multi-billion dollar marketing budget.  No more choice.  No more hysterically funny Padfone launches.  Ah, the good old days.

• Reply 29 of 35
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Chairs will be throw, the monkey will dance, and Uncle Fester will...uhh...fester.

Steve Ballmer always reminded me more of the monster from Young Frankenstein. Abby-normal.

• Reply 30 of 35
    red oak wrote: »
    And, have them come out with a kick ass rev of iWork

Ok, I don't think that this has gotten enough credit, nor enough attention. They are bringing iWork out to the browser in a fully complete way. With all of the features we would expect from an application (drag-n-drop, importing of Office formats, etc). To me, there are two main questions that should be answered:

1) Is the iCloud version of iWork going to be free (as to compete with Google Docs)?

2) Will it allow for collaboration?

I think that the answer to #1 should be Yes. The more people who use it, the more people will grow to depend on it. Besides, have you ever used Google Docs? That is basic, and quite honestly, ugly. And I LIKE Google Docs!!

Now, if Apple can pull off both questions in the affirmative, this will be a substantial game changer!
  • Reply 31 of 35
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    This is not seen as a win for Apple shareholders at all. Only glance at Apple's share price will confirm that much. I'm rather certain the whole computer industry is taking a massive downturn. Apple will also be affected and Wall Street will make certain that Apple stock takes the biggest loss. Although the PC industry is in a mess, Apple by far has been hurt the worst in share price growth for all of 2013. In fact, Microsoft appears to be doing absolutely fine as it's share price is higher now than it's been in many years. It's Apple's share price that mainly reflects a drop in the computer industry. All those supposed iPad sales are doing nothing for Apple's share price. All Wall Street sees from Apple is a YOY iPad sales decline which has nothing to do with how well Apple products are selling when compared to other computer companies' products. Apple shareholders don't have anything to rejoice about.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

This is not seen as a win for Apple shareholders at all. Only glance at Apple's share price will confirm that much. I'm rather certain the whole computer industry is taking a massive downturn. Apple will also be affected and Wall Street will make certain that Apple stock takes the biggest loss. Although the PC industry is in a mess, Apple by far has been hurt the worst in share price growth for all of 2013. In fact, Microsoft appears to be doing absolutely fine as it's share price is higher now than it's been in many years. It's Apple's share price that mainly reflects a drop in the computer industry. All those supposed iPad sales are doing nothing for Apple's share price. All Wall Street sees from Apple is a YOY iPad sales decline which has nothing to do with how well Apple products are selling when compared to other computer companies' products. Apple shareholders don't have anything to rejoice about.

Share prices are not set by "a wall street," they are the reflection of the perception of value held by millions of buyers and sellers. This perception is clearly not rational. Apple's real value didn't actually go up and down by more than 100% within 2008. There was just mass panic, ignorance and confusion. Only after the year ended, with Apple entirely unscathed, did the stock continue rocketing upward. 

Over the past year there's been a new period of irrationality. At $700, Apple wasn't really overvalued when you compare the performance of its peers. But due to a series of clearly inaccurate prognostications (quite obvious in hindsight), its stock is now trading at new lows for the year.

Apple is not a high volume PC maker - it's not even in the top 5 if you don't count iPads. Apple is the volume tablet maker, by far. So the fact that the PC market is shifting to tablets is really bad news for the Mac. It's good news for Apple. And Apple's shift to the high end of PCs means it will continue to reap the majority of the profits in the conventional PC market, even as volume sales shift to tablets and other post-PC devices.

There is so much irrationality in the market that it's hard to pinpoint exactly when Apple's valuation will correct and align itself with those of Microsoft and Google (which are trading far higher/revenue than Apple). But there's no rational argument that Apple's actually performance is tied to its stock price. 

Apple's performance is rational and under the control of some of the most competent and productive people on earth. 

Nobody at Apple has any direct control over the company's stock price.   

But if you want to bet against a company in the long term, you'd be rather foolish to bet against Apple unless you've created a short term manipulation you can exploit.

• Reply 33 of 35
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Ok, I don't think that this has gotten enough credit, nor enough attention. They are bringing iWork out to the browser in a fully complete way. With all of the features we would expect from an application (drag-n-drop, importing of Office formats, etc). To me, there are two main questions that should be answered:

1) Is the iCloud version of iWork going to be free (as to compete with Google Docs)?

2) Will it allow for collaboration?

I think that the answer to #1 should be Yes. The more people who use it, the more people will grow to depend on it. Besides, have you ever used Google Docs? That is basic, and quite honestly, ugly. And I LIKE Google Docs!!

Now, if Apple can pull off both questions in the affirmative, this will be a substantial game changer!

Yes, Apple is pulling a fast one here.  I don't think anyone anticipated a web-based iWork.  However, its pretty smart of them to do.  Now if they can deliver on the content.  Apple needs to get two things right for this to work: (i) markup and review, and (ii) automatic numbering.  If they get those two things right, Apple has a shot at displacing Word

However, in order for Apple to make it with iWork, they need to fix iCloud.  Tying it to your apple account and making it difficult and confusing to manage is not like Apple. They need to figure out how to make ownership and sharing of the content simple....like drop box. 

• Reply 34 of 35
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Every Mac I've owned, starting with the Mac 128K, was still working completely when I hauled it into the basement and set up my newest Mac. That's a total of seven desktop Macs in 29 years and counting. I've noticed that the gap between replacements has gotten longer as time has gone on. While not one has died, eventually the OS releases and CPU upgrades make it necessary to upgrade so current application software could be bought.

My old late-2006 MBP is a case in point. It can't support the latest OS versions or current applications, but it works so nicely and I've always enjoyed the matte screen... alas! On the plus side, the MBAs are now speed demons compared to what they once were, they are a whole lot less expensive, and if I checked, they may be even as fast as my old MBP by now. 

Yeah, my last computer lasted about 7 years.  It was just getting too old and it could only run Snow Leopard, plus only 3G of RAM isn't enough.  It all depends on what we do with these things and what we're willing to sacrifice.

• Reply 35 of 35
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

PADFONE!!!!!!   The only people that will buy this stupid thing will keep it in the packaging, never open it, and bring it out in 50 years as a collectable and maybe able to sell it for what they paid for it as a collectible.

This thing is ridiculous.  PADFONE!!!!