Images of supposed 'iPhone 5S' display match with 'leaked' logic board

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Coming on the heels of images purporting to show the logic board of the next-generation "iPhone 5S," photos alleging to be of the handset's display have surfaced, with a flex cable orientation suggesting the two parts are from the same device.

Display

The "blurrycam" images, shared by MacRumors, don't reveal much in the way of new features or components, though this is to be expected as many believe Apple's next-generation iPhone will carry over the design of the current iPhone 5.

What has changed, however, are the flex connectors that attach to the logic board. Unlike the iPhone 5, which sported two cables with horizontally disposed connectors, the supposedly leaked display has one vertical connector and one horizontal. This matches with a bare logic board pictured earlier on Monday.

As seen in the photo below, the logic board's connector layout matches that of the rumored 5S display. It should be noted that an overlay of the the two image does not yield a perfect match, though it is plausible that the disparity can be accounted for by Apple's cable routing. For example, the longer of the two flex cables may have to run over other internal structures, while the shorter cable has a direct route to its connector plug.

Board

While not concrete evidence that the two parts are indeed made to be interoperable, the pairing does make the the rumored device leaks somewhat plausible. It should be noted, however, that the components may not necessarily be bound for the next-gen iPhone, and could be prototype versions build for testing purposes.

With Apple widely expected to launch the successor to its iPhone 5 sometime this fall, a number of pictures claiming to show parts from the forthcoming handset have surface in recent weeks, suggesting that production of the device could begin soon. Recently leaked components include a FaceTime camera, home button, dual-weight vibration motor, and a sampling of multicolored SIM trays, volume rockers, and mute switches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member
    "display has one vertical connector and one horizontal"

Amazing. Such innovation. Before you know it Samesung is going to go with one vertical and one horizontal connector. Can't wait... This thing's going to be hoT!
  • Reply 2 of 10

Slow news day, huh.

These type of articles aren't worthy of a front page news post.

• Reply 3 of 10
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    *****YAWN********
    gonna be a long summer......
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by posthaste View Post

Slow news day, huh.

That was your first post? Since 2009? :-)
  • Reply 5 of 10

hah, I've been reading this site - and the other one - literally since Day One.  It was only in 2009 that I decided to finally create an account

What inspired me to post today ... I don't know.

• Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by posthaste View Post

hah, I've been reading this site - and the other one - literally since Day One.  It was only in 2009 that I decided to finally create an account

What inspired me to post today ... I don't know.

Welll welcome to the posting party! :-)
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    Here's the real question: Is the display retina, or higher resolution?

I have a hypothesis that Apple might be working on a higher than retina display, and I know a really good reason to be doing it... but not going to talk about it right now. Waiting to see if there's any indication they're doing it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    posthaste wrote: »
    Slow news day, huh.

Agreed.

It's irritating to find some interesting news stories placed on the back page while utterly boring parts shots, legal announcements, and analyst opinions get front page real estate.

You could almost reverse those and it would be an improvement.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    jessi wrote: »
    Here's the real question: Is the display retina, or higher resolution?

I have a hypothesis that Apple might be working on a higher than retina display, and I know a really good reason to be doing it... but not going to talk about it right now. Waiting to see if there's any indication they're doing it.

If that retina marketing is true - humans can't see pixels as the range they hold the iPhone then what would be the advantage of retina+?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Next iPhone will be in sept again