Adobe releases major update to Creative Cloud desktop apps

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Unless you can hack, you don't.

You have to pay them again.

I have no idea -- but I'm guessing Adobe would at least let you download the "files" -- just not work on them. I can't believe they'd make a fool mistake of holding them for ransom. That isn't their business model.

I'm also betting there are going to be utilities to convert the newer files to things that might be opened by previous versions -- but you never know, that may end up being a third party solution.

>> Again, I haven't even looked into Adobe's latest offering -- I'm just suggesting a reasonable place to start. They likely have an FYI about termination of service that would tell you how they'd handle your documents -- likely even a grace period where they store them form you.

• Reply 42 of 75
    popnfreshpopnfresh Posts: 139member
    CC is a pure greed move by Adobe. It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay them rent to use their software.
  • Reply 43 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If you are not a professional designer or graphic artist you have nothing to do with, nor any valid opinion about Adobe CC. It is not for you. Just stick with iWork.

So us video professionals have nothing to say about CC?

Some of us use more than just Photoshop and Illustrator.

Paying Adobe every month for the rest of your life will not make Adobe produce the best software.

When they needed to get features and bug fixes out to get $, they did. Now they don't have that incentive.

• Reply 44 of 75
    I sure miss the good old days when a new Adobe release was a source of excitement and anticipation, rather than a bout of dread about all the new bugs that I was going to have to deal with.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I have no idea -- but I'm guessing Adobe would at least let you download the "files" -- just not work on them. I can't believe they'd make a fool mistake of holding them for ransom. That isn't their business model.

I'm also betting there are going to be utilities to convert the newer files to things that might be opened by previous versions -- but you never know, that may end up being a third party solution.

>> Again, I haven't even looked into Adobe's latest offering -- I'm just suggesting a reasonable place to start. They likely have an FYI about termination of service that would tell you how they'd handle your documents -- likely even a grace period where they store them form you.

How is anyone going to do that?

Considering that :

a) it's not about "opening" the files, but it's about editing them in their native format. For example: Painter can open PSD files, but NOT with Adjustment Layers in them or intact. They never will, because it's a sole feature of Photoshop and how Adobe implements them.

b) the above and many more functions and features are patented and proprietary by Adobe. Never going to license those....ever!

Misconceptions:

1) you WILL be able to open your documents with older versions of the software, say InDesign or PS CS6. However, none of the specialty features may be present in the document, meaning: it must be "flattened".

2) you do not need to be on he Internet 24/7. Just once every 90 days to "call home" and verify your license.

3) the programs are downloaded and run on your computer, not over the Interent

4) the files you create are on your computer...NOT in the cloud... unless you want them to be.

Regardless... I have also decided to wait and see, as have every single one of my clients here in Germany. I "was" not as militant against CC as most people, but my client's definitely were! Calling and yelling at me as if it was my decision. I didn't take it personally, but it did get on my nerves somewhat. :\
  • Reply 46 of 75
    undedunded Posts: 43member
    mstone, you're an elitist dumdass! Most of Adobe's customer are hobbyist and students. People voice out their frustration because of Adobe wanting more money without giving alternative--it's a slap in the face for a lot of loyal Adobe users.

Even if you are a fucking pro designer, what happened to all your work when you can't afford to pay the monthly fee due to economic slowdown? This is a very real scenario that could happen to anyone relying on Adobe's product with CC business model! Go **** yourself.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

Thank the pirates and the stock market. The only reason Adobe switched to this model was to even out their revenue stream to help their financials and to try and curtail some of the illegal use of its software.

That being said, for most people doing work with their products, the subscription is a non-issue. We are talking about 1 billable hour a month, for many it is probably more like 30 minutes, to pay for the subscription. If you don't like it, stick with the version you have and don't worry about it. You will probably be able to run it forever in a virtual machine regardless of what upgrades come to OS X in the future.

-kpluck

• Reply 48 of 75
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Until the "new update" is that it is no longer in the "cloud" -- I'm not interested.

You seem not to understand how Adobe CC works.

The CC programs must be downloaded (there are some exceptions to this) but then reside locally on your computer. You can use CC programs without storing your files on Adobe's servers ("Cloud" is mostly a meaningless marketing term for online storage) and without being connected to the internet at all. However, periodically the programs will need to phone home; if they can't do so they'll go into demo mode until they can connect to Adobe for reauthorization.

As far as cost goes it's hard to come up with hard numbers, since they'll vary with one's assumptions about how often major updates have and will occur, and with historical purchasing patterns for the various different CS packages, which now fall under essentially a single subscription. My best understanding is that for people used to using old versions of CS, or one or two of its programs only, and then upgrading them infrequently, the CC model will be a lot more expensive. For those of us whose normal practice it has been to buy every second major release — and I believe that to be a significant portion of the existing CS user base — CC will be somewhat more expensive. For those who always upgraded with every release, CC may well end up being cheaper.

If you're in the first category, my condolences: you are definitely screwed. We're in the second, so it'll cost us more, but without being a deal breaker. And if you always bought the new CS release anyway, enjoy.

As for alternatives to CS/CC, there really are none for serious professional use. While there are other programs that can offer some part of the capabilities of Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat, and Illustrator (yechh), face it: the Adobe titles pretty much define their categories. That may change, and I hope it will. Remember when Adobe launched InDesign in the face of widespread dissatisfaction with Quark's shabby treatment of its customers? Perhaps that wheel may turn again.

• Reply 49 of 75
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    I'm not upgrading to Creative Cloud.

Thank you so much. You won't be missed.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    danielsw wrote: »
    "Coincidence" doesn't mean "parallel."

But "chaff" means YOU! :-)

lol - I can take a hit.
    cheers
  • Reply 51 of 75
    Today's CC updates downgraded my Camera Raw plugin from 8.1 to 8.0. Aaaarrgh!
  • Reply 52 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Thank the pirates and the stock market. The only reason Adobe switched to this model was to even out their revenue stream to help their financials and to try and curtail some of the illegal use of its software.

That being said, for most people doing work with their products, the subscription is a non-issue. We are talking about 1 billable hour a month, for many it is probably more like 30 minutes, to pay for the subscription. If you don't like it, stick with the version you have and don't worry about it. You will probably be able to run it forever in a virtual machine regardless of what upgrades come to OS X in the future.

-kpluck

I agree. I'm the company director of a small graphic design firm and, even at full price, the cost of each subscription is approximately 90 minutes of billable work per month per employee. I can't see the problem with the cost, per se. I would say that my only concern is, as with all software subscription models, being "forced" an update which actually breaks a function and there is nothing you can do to resolve it until Adobe resolves it. I am hopeful this is covered by, instead of huge x.0 releases, we now see small incremental features being dripped in. Refinement, not revolution.

• Reply 53 of 75
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by richieg261 View Post

I would say that my only concern is, as with all software subscription models, being "forced" an update which actually breaks a function and there is nothing you can do to resolve it until Adobe resolves it.

You are not required to download the latest versions. You are only required to reverify your subscription periodically. You can keep using out of date software should you choose to and because you get two licenses, you can test the upgrade on one machine before committing to upgrade the other.

• Reply 54 of 75
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Dreamweaver CC is a trainwreck. Removing if and sticking with CS6 while I find a non-adobe replacement.

I didn't object to the new payment, or the cloud, but removing the main features that mad the software usable is unforgivable.

Bye Adobe,
  • Reply 55 of 75
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Quote: "It's fascinating to see how this CC transformation is separating the wheat from the chaff! ;-)"

Or put another way, separating those who'd rather gripe and complain than work.

I joined CC yesterday and I've been as busy as a bee today. Having the latest of everything updated constantly should up my productivity enough to pay for the subscription and more.

I just hope cloud sharing can be device-selective. I'd rather not clutter the MacBook Air I'm planning to buy with everything I'd like to store up there.

• Reply 56 of 75
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    inkling wrote: »
    Quote: "It's fascinating to see how this CC transformation is separating the wheat from the chaff! ;-)"

Or put another way, separating those who'd rather gripe and complain than work.

I joined CC yesterday and I've been as busy as a bee today. Having the latest of everything updated constantly should up my productivity enough to pay for the subscription and more.

I just hope cloud sharing can be device-selective. I'd rather not clutter the MacBook Air I'm planning to buy with everything I'd like to store up there.

You clearly don't develop data driven websites in dreamweaver or use fireworks then...
  • Reply 57 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Dreamweaver CC is a trainwreck. Removing if and sticking with CS6 while I find a non-adobe replacement.

I didn't object to the new payment, or the cloud, but removing the main features that mad the software usable is unforgivable.

Bye Adobe,

I love posts like this. Really? What main features did they remove? You just want to trash them without bothering to mention what makes it a "Trainwreck".

Right? You know, if you actually were a professional web developer you would already be familiar with all of the most advanced development environments available and not still be trying to find one.

• Reply 58 of 75
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Not long after the release of CC, I had been helping someone with their project. The CC updater had an alert bubble pop in the corner every minute that it couldn't connect to the internet, the local WiFi was down. For $30 a month or more, I don't think I'd go for that kind of irritation.
  • Reply 59 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Not long after the release of CC, I had been helping someone with their project. The CC updater had an alert bubble pop in the corner every minute that it couldn't connect to the internet, the local WiFi was down. For $30 a month or more, I don't think I'd go for that kind of irritation.

Was it the Sync app?

From the Menu Bar click on the creative cloud connection Icon and select “Turn Sync Off”

• Reply 60 of 75
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Not everyone that uses Photoshop is a professional photographer or works for an ad agency. I might be in a minority here but I run a small business and have used PS since 1994 in combination with GoLive and recently Adobe's Muse to maintain my company's website. I would update PS every second version, it made financial sense for me and allowed me to keep up to date with changes to the app. For someone like myself paying $50 or even $30 per month subscription for the use of 2 apps is too much. PS CS 6 works well for me and I can fortunately see myself using it for years to come. Muse is pretty good for someone that is visual and not into coding. I think most of Adobe's customers have had a "love - hate" relationship with the company forever. This is not likely to change anytime soon.

i am in a similar position. i'm trying to expand my photography to be financially supporting and i cannot afford subscriptions, nor do i upgrade every version (because it's never worth the money). Every few versions, or when technology forces me to, yeah, ok. If i had a retina Mac, then i'd have to have a retina version of Photoshop, Bridge and Illustrator. That's a no-brainer connection. But that's all they've done lately that matters to me and it was really Apple's push, not an Adobe idea. There have been very few additions to these programs that were worthwhile, yet each version has added more middleware, more services, more apps, more sluggishness, bloat....

i used to be a major fan of Adobe products, especially Photoshop, but after finding that Photoshop has started behaving sluggishly with tool switching, i realized Photoshop had finally fallen from grace. i saw it coming for years as they added worthless junk to the product suite, but now i feel sad. Photoshop was like a good friend. Now it feels kind of like it feels when i use a Microsoft Office product... reluctant but necessary. It's like running into an ex girlfriend and pretending we're ok as friends when it was her that did the breaking up. It's like an awkward analogy that is both true and really sad at the same time. ;-D