Apple TV gets iTunes Radio, Conference Room display option in beta update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple TV received little attention during Worldwide Developers Conference, but the diminutive set-top box still has the Cupertino company's attention, as new videos reveal iTunes Radio and a new Conference Room mode in the works for its forthcoming software update.

As Apple promised when it announced iTunes Radio at WWDC 2013, the Internet radio service has arrived on Apple TV as part of a new software beta. Users can now stream music from the device's built-in app, with the same accessibility seen on iPhones running the iOS 7 beta.

The development gives Apple yet another platform on which to push its new radio service. iRadio will compete directly with both Google's new music streaming service and the already well-established Pandora. Industry observers note that Pandora is likely to face a rougher road with Apple entering the radio market.

The update also adds a Conference Room Display mode meant mainly for sharing content in meeting rooms. The display mode gives attendees on-screen instructions telling them how they can connect their iOS devices to the Apple TV using AirPlay.

In addition to those features, the update will give users the ability to customize the style of their subtitles. As the software is still in the beta stage, Apple may add or remove additional features before a final release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Great updates. AppleTV is a great device, and priced appropriately. Lots of small businesses love the AppleTV for the conf room.

Sure, Google, Microsoft, Sony, et. al. may want into the home market, but the only real competitor for Apple is Roku, which can't compete with Apple's offerings in many ways ...though there are things the Roku can do in my experience (have both RokuHD and AppleTV2) it doesn't do it nearly as well as the AppleTV.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    Pandora is screwed. The added value of having one-click (maybe a couple) purchases for streamed radio will be proven to be a dream come true for the labels.

Hopefully sales figures will push the networks and studios in Apple's direction. Apple can line up on-demand no-stupid-Hulu-or-whatever-t-f app shows for iOS (existing hardware) before a full-fledged TV hardware product.

The little Apple TV box makes a great reverse media-hub whereby distributed content can be viewed from one place. Given broad accessibility to users' purchased content or created content from multiple devices, Apple TV becomes a shared interactive display hub with value no other company can reproduce.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    elmoofoelmoofo Posts: 100member
    The local ALoft hotel has an Apple TV in every room. Your cloud with you, on the road. Brilliant.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I don't want an Apple TV, just the little black Apple box to control all of my TV, a bit more Apple TV content, throw in a miniMac & wireless keyboard. I'd pay $1000.00 plus for that
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

" . . .iRadio will compete directly with both Google's new music streaming service and . . ."

Boy, Apple is beginning to look the bully. Bully for Apple bullying the Ogre that stuffs its mattress with mean. And the Bing thing still cracks me up.

The gloves are off and bloody noses will become common in the streets. Get used to the new Apple. A dance of terror like we've never seen before, and yet it will be innovative with a style all its own, like Great Opera in costume and song, dance and merriment.

The show is just beginning as the lights dim and the Great Shining Apple emblem rises.

In the words of the great philosopher, Neson—

ha, ha

• Reply 6 of 11
    The AppleTV needs a wifi direct mode. It would be nice to go to give a presentation at another company's office with an iPad or MBP and an AppleTv without having the hassle of setting up the AppleTV on the local wifi network. Companies and schools have be asking for this.

I think the wifi chip in the revised AppleTV 3 supports this, but then again the 2010 AppleTV 2 had Bluetooth that wasn't activated until 2013.

You never know with Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The conference room idea is an excellent one. Having one of these permanently hooked up to a projector, and then people can just walk in with their iPad and auto-discover the display would work great (e.g. Keynote on the iPad)

• Reply 8 of 11
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    The local government offices where I am living have really strong paperless initiatives. The all use the AppleTV in conference rooms for presenting now that the on demand code feature was implemented. It makes it dead simple and this little wall paper just proves that the codes were added for that purpose. Apple is focused on this market as it is helping drive iOS device adoption in the workplace.

• Reply 9 of 11
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Pandora is screwed. The added value of having one-click (maybe a couple) purchases for streamed radio will be proven to be a dream come true for the labels.

Hopefully sales figures will push the networks and studios in Apple's direction. Apple can line up on-demand no-stupid-Hulu-or-whatever-t-f app shows for iOS (existing hardware) before a full-fledged TV hardware product.

The little Apple TV box makes a great reverse media-hub whereby distributed content can be viewed from one place. Given broad accessibility to users' purchased content or created content from multiple devices, Apple TV becomes a shared interactive display hub with value no other company can reproduce.

I never taught of that, but that could be an interesting model for TV channels too.

That being said, I would glady still buy an Apple TV set, having the cable feeds integrated into iOS is something I want. For me, the best way to make it worked would be to sell dummy monitors that are link to either an AppleTV box or could have a plug-in Apple TV core that could be updated over the years.

So multiple monitor sizes and upgraded Apple TV box to include cable feeds/OTA would be a nice solution for consumer.  I am not sure I would want to buy a TV set with non upgrable components, that thing would be obsolete in just a few years. The drawback of a separate box is looks. This is why I wish they could also make an Monitor with a plug-in core option.

BTW I have notice Apple didnt upgrade its 27" monitor yet to make it look like the new imacs.

• Reply 10 of 11
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

So multiple monitor sizes and upgraded Apple TV box to include cable feeds/OTA would be a nice solution for consumer.  I am not sure I would want to buy a TV set with non upgrable components, that thing would be obsolete in just a few years. The drawback of a separate box is looks. This is why I wish they could also make an Monitor with a plug-in core option.

That sounds horribly confusing and very un-Apple like.  DIY a box based on OpenTV (now NAGRA) if you want this sort of thing because Apple will not be doing it.  

• Reply 11 of 11
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Anyone running this yet? I held off because of the known issues list. Is it stable enough for a secondary TV?