Lack of Voice Memos app in iOS 7 beta could leave space for third-party alternatives

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple made no small amount of changes to its mobile platform with iOS 7, and among those was the possible removal of its native voice recording app ? a development that surprised both users and voice memo app developers alike.

samples

With the first-party voice memo app apparently gone, at least in iOS 7 beta, users upgrading to Apple's next-generation mobile OS may find themselves short of a much needed resource. Fortunately, an array of different options are available throughout the iTunes App Store, some with capabilities well beyond those of the existing iOS 6 app.

dictonic

Among those alternatives is Dictonic, a voice recording tool with a social sharing core. Dictonic allows users to share their recordings directly to Facebook and Twitter, and the app features a number of voice changing effects. It also supports photographic and text notes.

The app's listing highlight's its usefulness in pranking one's friends, but Dictonic actually has a number of features that make it a useful productivity tool. It features one-tap recording and the ability to skip silent portions of recorded content thanks to built-in voice detection. Perhaps above all, it allows for cloud storage of voice memo content, with the ability to export to Dropbox and Google Drive.

Dictonic is available as a free download on the iTunes App Store. The 28MB download requires an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad running iOS 4.3 or later.

am

Another option for iOS users in need of a recording solution is Audio Memos. This simply named app has already been featured on Apple's "What's hot" section, and comes in two flavors. The first is an ad-supported version that has limits on recording length, while the paid version ($0.99) removes both ads and time restrictions.

Audio Memos has loud playback, the ability to record while the app is in the background, and iCloud compatibility, meaning memos are accessible across iPhones and iPads. The app also allows users to email their recordings, grab them via USB, append existing recordings, and pause recordings automatically with an incoming call.

The app does feature a sizable number of in-app purchases which expand its functionality. To purchase all of these extensions in one go would cost $10, bringing the total price of the fully-functional app to $11.

Audio Memos is available as a paid download in the iTunes App Store, but also as a free download that can be upgraded in-app. The 8.6MB download is compatible with iPhones, iPod touches, and iPads running iOS 4.3 or later.

pro

Voice Record Pro bills itself as a "professional voice recorder," allowing users to record voice memos and on-site sounds at unlimited length. The app records in AAC/MP4/M4A format, and all can be converted to MP3.

The app allows users to export to a wide range of cloud storage services, including Google Drive, DropBox, SkyDrive, and SoundCloud. Users can also share with other devices by Bluetooth or download directly to a PC using a built-in web server with WiFi connection. Voice Record Pro also shares clips to Photo Albums as movie clips, exports to Facebook, and exports to other apps that can handle an audio file.

Voice Record Pro is available as a free download. The 16.3MB app requires an iPhone 3GS or above, third-generation iPod touch or above, or iPad running iOS 5.0 and up.

super

One of the overall best reviewed voice recording apps in the App Store is Clear Sky Apps' Super Note: Recorder, Notes, Memos. Super Note color codes notes to make it easier to find them, and its interface allows for swiping back and forth between notes and categories on the fly. It also allows users to set alert reminders for specific notes.

Since the audio recording function is built directly into the notes-taking tool, users can quickly attach voice recordings to specific entries. It doesn't have as many sharing features as some of the other apps listed in this piece, but its categorization features and note-taking integration help put it on a comparable level.

Super Note is available both in a free version and in a $2 paid version. The free version holds only up to four notes. The 17.0MB download is compatible with the iPhone 3GS and up, third-generation iPod touch and up, and iPad, so long a s a device is running iOS 5.0 or higher.

It should be noted that the release notes accompanying Apple's iOS 7 beta seed are vague concerning Voice Memos, as they state the app was not included in the test software but don't specify whether it will be part of the OS upon launch this fall. A closer look at the Settings menu in the latest beta reveals a placeholder for a Voice Memos app, but it is unclear when the feature will be activated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    What the hell? I used that app to record conversations. So they remove something useful and keep the Stocks app that no one uses?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    And which of those apps automatically syncs with iTunes like Voice Memos in iOS 6?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    Who says it wont be back? I can see it would have needed a huge overhaul but it was not a priority for Seed 1... Of course they could also decide to do how they manage Podcasts, iBooks or other similar apps and just put them in the store.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Voice Memos is there, just not in this beta. Settings>General>Usage>Show all Apps
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Why are people making judgements based on the *first* developer beta of the new iOS? They're not going to remove that capability. What they would likely do, and what they *should* do, is just incorporate it into Siri's functionality. It's a logical place for it.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

This is great news.  

For those of us that don't use dictation this solves a lot of stupid problems and glitches.  

For those that do use dictation they can get one of the many stand alone solutions. 

• Reply 7 of 20
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

What the hell? I used that app to record conversations. So they remove something useful and keep the Stocks app that no one uses?

Yeah, but that was before iOS 7.  Now the stocks app 'has purpose' according to Craig Federighi...

/

/

• Reply 8 of 20
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lebensmuede View Post

And which of those apps automatically syncs with iTunes like Voice Memos in iOS 6?

For me this is exactly why I hate Voice memos. 

Every single time you inadvertently hit the button or show your phone to some family member who hits the button it automatically saves whatever is said and syncs it back to your iTunes library without any indication that it's doing so.  

Then you have the embarassing discovery of seeing this nonsense pop up on your computer six months later when you weren't even aware really that it was recorded.  Worse yet it shows up on your Apple TV in the living room so everyone can hear that time when you were drunk with your friend and goofing around with the phone. Ack!

This just makes me think yet again that Apple should allow us to get rid of these shitty apps that we don't use and don't want.  Interesting how that was in fact one of the biggest "wants" before WWDC but that no one has even mentioned it since WWDC.  

I hate this thing

I hate "Stocks" too.  

Just let us hide them or get rid of them.  People have been clamoring for this since iOS 3 at least.  

• Reply 9 of 20
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Heck I'd be happy if they gave me the ability to turn on the lines on the Notes app. I'm old school... my eyes need those lines to keep track of where I'm reading.

• Reply 10 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I hate this thing

I hate "Stocks" too.  

Just let us hide them or get rid of them.  People have been clamoring for this since iOS 3 at least.  

Why do you hate Stocks?  I think it has a much cleaner interface than Bloomberg and it's a quick way to see what's going on financially.

If it's just an app you never use then hate seems like a strong word.  I never use the Newstand app and I wish I could delete it, but certainly couldn't say that I hate it.  I've managed to hide it in a random folder somewhere so that I don't even run across it anymore.  Out of sight out of mind.

• Reply 11 of 20
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I use the Stocks app everyday to check my stocks. Maybe you just need to invest?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Or, this could be beta and it was just left out of this release. You know, like the release notes say. It was not really vague at all. Not included in this seed clearly shows an intention to include in a future seed..
  • Reply 13 of 20
    indiekidukindiekiduk Posts: 381member
    It is still there we saw it on the WWDC demos just wasn't on beta1 for some reason.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Um maybe it would help if AI actually read the release notes which stated the voice memo app was missing from this beta. :rolleyes: this is why I think Apple should lock down testing so not every joe blow who's curious about the new OS can download it on their phone. Betas should be for developers who read the release notes, provide feedback to Apple and don't disclose things as part of the NDA.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Abell View Post

Why are people making judgements based on the *first* developer beta of the new iOS? They're not going to remove that capability. What they would likely do, and what they *should* do, is just incorporate it into Siri's functionality. It's a logical place for it.

Unless your phone is an iPhone 4, where they decided Siri wouldn't exist.

• Reply 16 of 20
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    There are lots of apps that are not included or updated in the developer preview of iOS 7.

This doesn't mean they've been dropped; it means a) they have little or no relevance to developers (the point of the DP released at WWDC) and b) Apple wants to reserve some flashy features for the actual launch.

• Reply 17 of 20
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

this is why I think Apple should lock down testing so not every joe blow who's curious about the new OS can download it on their phone. Betas should be for developers who read the release notes, provide feedback to Apple and don't disclose things as part of the NDA.

You mean like how legally you have to be a paid developer (or be associated with a developer - say one who legally provides it for testing of an app) in order to obtain it?  The one that is also covered by NDA too?  (Trust me, I have gotten Apple Beta software and I have had to sign such an NDA)

They do not offer it to every Joe Blow.  It's targeted to developers who need to have access to these things to test their own software and Apple's software.

• Reply 18 of 20
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    diddy wrote: »
    You mean like how legally you have to be a paid developer (or be associated with a developer - say one who legally provides it for testing of an app) in order to obtain it?  The one that is also covered by NDA too?  (Trust me, I have gotten Apple Beta software and I have had to sign such an NDA)

They do not offer it to every Joe Blow.  It's targeted to developers who need to have access to these things to test their own software and Apple's software.
    Well it sure seems like plenty of non developers are running it. If that's not the case then some people are forming pretty strong opinions based on screen shots and not much else.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    binexbinex Posts: 23member
    amenemhat wrote: »
    Voice Memos is there, just not in this beta. Settings>General>Usage>Show all Apps

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97695349@N03/9079963657/

Yep it's still there waiting to be implemented.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    In one of the WWDC presentations I saw a screenshot with the voice memos app right on the home screen. It had a black waveform on a white background as icon. I don't think it is going away.